Can not find low point drain!

orion7144

It is going to get below freezing here and I went to the storage lot and drained my hot water heater and turned the heater on for an hour. I can not find the low point drain anywhere. Just the black undercoating. I se a 1/4" or so hose with a 90 degree plastic barb hose fitting but no drain valve or anything.

Last edited by a moderator:

mlpeloquin

What you are describing is the fresh water tank overflow. You should have one on each side at the same location. The low point water drain might still be inside the coroplast. Not fun unscrewing the coroplast fasteners and looking for the line and valve.

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Our 2015 Landmark does not have low point drain lines, just the fresh water tank drain.

carl.swoyer

It is going to get below freezing here and I went to the storage lot and drained my hot water heater and turned the heater on for an hour. I can not find the low point drain anywhere. Just the black undercoating. I se a 1/4" or so hose with a 90 degree plastic barb hose fitting but no drain valve or anything.
For you hot water tank it's the large bolt on the bottom of the tank maybe an 1 1/4

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

jayc

Texas-South Chapter Leaders
I don't believe the factory puts low point drains on any more.

Kbvols

I have a 2018 Big Horn and it has a drain behind the rear wheel off door side. I don't know if it is technically a low point drain but when I winterized a lot of water came out of it and I had minimal water in lines when I blew them out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

My 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel came off the production line without a low point drain. Apparently it was forgotten. So my dealer opened the belly and there it was.

danemayer

My 2012 Landmark Rushmore fifth wheel came off the production line without a low point drain. Apparently it was forgotten. So my dealer opened the belly and there it was.

Carl, I'm sure your 2012 Rushmore came without low point drains. It might have been the washer drain or perhaps the fresh tank drain. If you actually have low point drains now, the dealer probably added them for you, not realizing that Landmarks haven't had them for may years.

Carl, I'm sure your 2012 Rushmore came without low point drains. It might have been the washer drain or perhaps the fresh tank drain. If you actually have low point drains now, the dealer probably added them for you, not realizing that Landmarks haven't had them for may years.

My 2015 Big Country does not have a low point drain. The only drain valve is behind the rear wheels on the off door side and that is
for the fresh water tank.

mlpeloquin

Let your water heater cool down. Remove the plug. Set your air compressor to 40psi. Install a RV blowout plug in the water heater drain plug. Attach the compressor to it and allow the pressure to build and start by opening each water valve at a time allowing the water to be pushed out. That includes the washer/dryer prep lines and the toilet. Then add RV antifreeze to all the drains and the toilet. Make sure you find and open the fresh water tank drain as well. I hope you have a compressor, otherwise you will need to get one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-B...BEgKRe_D_BwE&dclid=CKvB2sewo9oCFQTNZAodHEYDCQ

You can also follow the winterization guide https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/?man=User Guides

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Let your water heater cool down. Remove the plug. Set your air compressor to 40psi. Install a RV blowout plug in the water heater drain plug. Attach the compressor to it and allow the pressure to build and start by opening each water valve at a time allowing the water to be pushed out. That includes the washer/dryer prep lines and the toilet. Then add RV antifreeze to all the drains and the toilet. Make sure you find and open the fresh water tank drain as well. I hope you have a compressor, otherwise you will need to get one.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Camco-B...BEgKRe_D_BwE&dclid=CKvB2sewo9oCFQTNZAodHEYDCQ

You can also follow the winterization guide https://manuals.heartlandowners.org/?man=User Guides

I attach the air line to the city water connection, not the water heater drain. I let the water gravity drain itself and leave the anode rod loose in the fitting after it’s done. Remember, there’s normally a check valve on the city water port, so pushing against it from the water heater will not clear it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mlpeloquin

Good point. Can you tell that I do not have to winterize where I live. The again there was the two week freeze in back I think in 1987. Never got above 28 degrees.

Gary521

Nobody said so specifically, but the water heater drain IS the drain on the system. Open all the faucets to allow drainage of of the lines.

carl.swoyer

Dane I was referring to the low point drain for the fresh water holding tank. I suppose one could just run the spigot or take a wicked long shower.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Nobody said so specifically, but the water heater drain IS the drain on the system. Open all the faucets to allow drainage of of the lines.

Forgot to mention that my "vintage" rig HAS low point drains and when I winterize, I bypass the water heater.