Can X-Chocks damage trailer tires?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
After discovering a separating tread on one of our tires on the way back from the Las Vegas National HOC Rally last October, I've been wondering if this could be an issue.

Typically when we roll into an RV park or campground and I install the X-Chocks, after the tires cool off some I have to snug them up some.

Then a few hours later I have to snug them up again!

And generally the next morning I'll have to do one more snug-up of the X-Chocks.

I love the X-Chocks, but I now wonder if they can damage the tires at all?

Comments anyone?

ProwlerGlowStep8-P3200628.jpg

Power247

Man, I sure hope not....

Greg
2012 | RAM 2500 | CCSB | Custom tuned by Double R Diesel
2016 | Heartland Pioneer | DS310

wdk450

I have the yellow plastic between the wheel chocks. I too, have noticed them being loose after initial installation. Since I chock up as a safety measure before unhitching (since I always use leveller blocks on the front landing gear), the 2 axles may be in slightly different geometry after lifting the trailer off of the truck and then doing front-to-back levelling. Getting the rear stabilizers to bear some weight also can change things at the axles. I usually can re-tighten the chocks at this point. With your front landing gear down and your rear stabilizers bearing some weight, the chocks really aren't doing much to prevent your rig from moving. They can be as tight or as loose as you are comfortable with at this point. They should be tight when you hitch up again, though.

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
After discovering a separating tread on one of our tires on the way back from the Las Vegas National HOC Rally last October, I've been wondering if this could be an issue.

View attachment 50688[JohnD: Was the tire problem from the off brand tires you purchased for your older TT and placed them on the Prowler? I have never used the X chocks so not sure how they could stimulate a process to create a tire separation! I would think the tire pressure on the ground with the trailer has more pressure than what you place on the X chock. ]

JohnD

This thread is not about my tire choice, but about if it is possible that X-Chocks can be damaging to the tires.

The Hi Run tires are not very well known in the RV industry, but are industry standard in the horse trailer biz . . . and are much better tires than the BlowMax tires that came on it (our Prowler) from Heartland.

Remember this brand new Sundance 5th-wheel on the lot at LazyDays at the 2015 Tucson Rally during the luncheon?:

FlatBlowMaxTires-IMAG0217.jpg

By-the-by . . . they only had 80 miles on them when we traded the Trail Runner in on the Prowler.

What I'm worried about is that when the X-Chocks are in there are two 2 x 3 inch squares putting pressure on each tire.

And if these are putting to much pressure in to small spots . . . thus possibly creating issues with the tires.

ProwlerLynxLevelers-PC290555.jpg

Doublegranch

Mountain Region Director-Retired
JohnD:
Those PowerKing tires are made by the same company as Towmax...that is why I pulled them off my new Sundance and replaced with G614's...
I wasn't questioning your tire selection only asking which tire separated as I had not seen a post about your tire separating.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

RoadJunkie

I can't imagine you could put enough torque on the scissor jack threaded rod--using that itty-bitty wrench they supply--to cause any type of damage to even to the saddest of tires. Now if you forget they are wedged between tires when you leave...that's another consideration.

NYSUPstater

I've used Roto-Chocks since day 1 w/ our current coach and have no problems at all. Too bad they are out of business. I put them on upon arriving, tighten up and leave 'em till ready to go. Used on 3 different brands of tires.

Bones

I would say the chances of you damaging the tires with an X-chock are nill and the more likely culprit would be a pothole

justafordguy

I agree with the rest of the crowd, I see no way the X-chock could damage a tire, it puts way less stress on them than the weight of the trailer or the poor roads we have in this country. I have used X-chocks for years with no tire issues at all.

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
I had a similar suspicion when a tire failed on a previous rig. The failure looked like a bear had taken a bite out of the middle of the tread, which did not extend fully across the tread, and almost perfectly matched the size/shape of the chock.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mburtsvt

I agree with the rest of the crowd, I see no way the X-chock could damage a tire, it puts way less stress on them than the weight of the trailer or the poor roads we have in this country. I have used X-chocks for years with no tire issues at all.

I believe that driving with them in place would cause damage, but beyond that I have had no problems in 3-4 years. Just make sure to remove them when you tow. (my only hope is that people get my sense of humor)

coltsdad

Texas-North Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you think about it. The area on the tires that are sitting on the ground have more force put on them than you will ever put with the chocks.

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
If you think about it. The area on the tires that are sitting on the ground have more force put on them than you will ever put with the chocks.

The "force" on an inflated tire is exactly equal at every point. Exactly.

So the question has nothing to do with force, but structural compromise by being deformed.

JohnD

So the question has nothing to do with force, but structural compromise by being deformed.

That is exactly why I thought this might be an issue.

That small square that is in contact with the tire concerns me, especially after having to tighten it up after the tires cool off.

I'm on my second RV with this same pair of X-Chocks and I love them.

CamperJacksGulch-IMG_1575.jpg ProwlerNextToHouse-P1010699.jpg

danemayer

Hans,

In the context of the question, when the rig is at a campsite, I would think that gravity is the primary force in play, and that the force vector is down, and that the part of the tire in contact with the ground typically gets flattened a bit because of the force of gravity.

So I'm curious as to what you mean when you say the force is exactly equal at every point.

And John, if you have 10,000 lbs of trailer sitting on 4 tires, each tire is carrying 2,500 lbs., flattening the tire a bit where it meets the ground. I don't know how much force the x-chocks apply, flattening the tire, but I doubt it's anywhere near 2,500 lbs.

OldSlowHans

CinC of Everything Else
Hans,

In the context of the question, when the rig is at a campsite, I would think that gravity is the primary force in play, and that the force vector is down, and that the part of the tire in contact with the ground typically gets flattened a bit because of the force of gravity.

So I'm curious as to what you mean when you say the force is exactly equal at every point.

Gravity (the weight of the trailer) is a minor player in the force vectors applied to a tire.

For discussion purposes let's assume a typical G-rated tire on our rigs (31.5" diameter, 6" tread width, 7.5" sidewall height) inflated to 100PSI.

The interior of the tire has a surface area of approximately 5,000 square inches. At 100 pounds per square inch, the internal forces applied are 500,000 pounds (1/2-million), precisely EVENLY applied to all interior surfaces of the tire. (Similar force is also applied to the rim, but I ignore them in this discussion because the rim is rigid.)

Now consider the (approximate) 2,500 pounds of weight applied to the exterior of the tire when bearing the weight of the trailer. This weight (force) amounts to a mere 1/2 of 1% (.005) of the force being exerted on the other side of the rubber!

But because the tire is not rigid, this weight does compress the tire, making the interior air volume slightly smaller (presuming the tire is strong enough not to stretch). As a result of the compression, the interior air pressure rises by .005PSI from 100PSI to 100.005PSI, and because air is an elastic gas, that pressure (force) is EVENLY APPLIED to the entire interior surface of the tire.

MikeandDar

If I remember correctly, when I bought a set of X chocks for the old 5th wheel there was a warning in the box. The warning stated that if chocks were left in while raising or lowering trailer that you could damage the landing gear (jack). I also know that one of our friends that use the chocks on his tt told me that there where times that he had to take the unit back off the tv to get the chocks out. So to sum it all up, while raising and lowering the trailer something has to give and if the axles can't move all that force has to go somewhere. So my opinion and it is just my opinion, If a jack could be damaged I would think that a tire could be as well.