Carlisle Tires

Dean-Pam

We are getting ready to take a trip to the west coast and I was looking to replace my Towmax tires with the Maxxis M8008, however they are on backorder (don't have a delivery date). In looking on the web for the Maxxis, Carlisle tires came up. Do any of the members have any information or history with the Carlisle brand? Thanks!

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
From my experience's Towmax and Carlisle are basically the same quality tire.

Try searching more dealers for the Maxxis's.....some dealers will try to discourage the sale because of a lower profit margin for the Maxxis.

Kbvols

Try discount tire direct online. They have Maxxis 235-80-16's for $165.77 each plus $25 off set of 4 and free shipping. Can usually find someone to mount for reasonable price. I have used discount tire and was real satisfied.

Last edited:

DW_Gray

Any Carlisle tire manufactured after 2010 is good as any other big name brand tire as far as my research and personal experience. I've been running 6 Carlisle tires for the past two+ years without any observable manufacturer defects. Highly recommend you buy from Discount Tire.

Dean-Pam

Thanks everyone, I was looking at Discount Tire (they are the one's showing backordered). My normal repair shop will mount and balance the tires (will even accept the tires directly shipped to them). I have 6 weeks before our big trip, so I will continue to look to get the Maxxis. Though I have been running the Towmax for the past two years, all the trips have been within 5 hours of home. After reading all the horror stories from other members with Towmax, I don't even want to start our trip without changing the tires. Since our 5er is not as heavy as the BH or LM, I can't see going the GY 614 route. Thanks again to all and wishing everyone a Happy New Year!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
When I spoke to a Discount Tire store here in North Texas, they were pushing the Carlisles over the Maxxis. But with our previous experience with the Maxxis, and finding so many issues online with Carlisles, I went back to Maxxis. It took about a week to get them, and the local store matched "Discount Tire Direct" online pricing. Be sure to ask for ALL METAL valve stems (about $2 more per stem), so if you decide to add a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) down the road, you will not have to pay to have them switched out. Your current stems may look metal, but they are probably not.... It's a metal sleeve over the rubber, and will still flex if a TPMS sensor is added.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HornedToad

Any Carlisle tire manufactured after 2010 is good as any other big name brand tire as far as my research and personal experience. I've been running 6 Carlisle tires for the past two+ years without any observable manufacturer defects. Highly recommend you buy from Discount Tire.

DW your comments make me feel better about my Carlisle tires, that I wound up with more by chance than choice. After one of my TowMax tires bulged around the center of the tread and was replaced under warranty I decided to replace them all but hadn't gotten around to it. After reading many post on forum I wanted the G614's but couldn't justify the price. I found a dealer near by in NM that would order the more affordable 14 ply Sailun tires and that was my plan. Out on the road I had two of the TowMax bulge around the tread again and with just one spare late on a Saturday I rushed to the tire store to get them replaced.

Discount Tire highly recommended the Carlisle tire but I questioned them because I had trouble with the brand about 5 years ago. They explained that Carlisle had resigned their trailer tire and in the last two years Discount had good experience with them. After 20 years of doing business with Discount Tire, and always receiving excellent price/product/service, I trusted their advice and bought the two Carlisle tires and replaced the other two TowMax with Carlisle when I got home.

TravelTiger

I trusted their advice and bought the two Carlisle tires and replaced the other two TowMax with Carlisle when I got home.

Mike, I'll be interested to compare our tires over time. (We bought in July of 2013.) Discount was pushing Carlisles on me, recommending them over the Maxxis and over Goodyear Marathons. I decided to go with Maxxis again, since I knew how they performed for us before.

HornedToad

I decided to go with Maxxis again, since I knew how they performed for us before.

Based on the favorable post I've read on the forum the Maxxis tires were also on the top of my list, unfortunately Discount doesn't keep them in stock, and my situation didn't give me time to order.

I hope we never have anything to compare, other than smooth sailing!!!

Wmnmy

Ditto I ran Carlisle tires on my cyclone before I traded it in and putting them on my new rig took two eastcoast to westcoast trips in 2012 no problems blowmax tires separated within three trips under 600 miles a piece .. I have had good experiences with Carlisle tires...

TGLBWH

North Central Region Directors-Retired
I too had to replace one Tow Maxx toward the end of our second season after a blowout with a Carlisle and in the spring after a another one went I replaced the other 3. Have had no problem with the Carlisles in the 2 years I have had them. Have not had to continuously add air every time I tow like I did with the other junk tires

Miltp920

How much weight are your maxxis carrying? Are your rims 16x6? Validating your 5er is 2 axle?

My cyclone 2 axle would need 2400 load weight per tire DRY and 3100 load weight "wet". Assuming 20% pin weight and even distribution of weight.

I am trying to stay with my 16x6 rims to save a few bucks.

I like reading the successful towmax replacement posts for two axle 5er in my weight range. 12,000 dry, 15,500 advertised wet. I do plan to weigh first trip out this spring.

When I spoke to a Discount Tire store here in North Texas, they were pushing the Carlisles over the Maxxis. But with our previous experience with the Maxxis, and finding so many issues online with Carlisles, I went back to Maxxis. It took about a week to get them, and the local store matched "Discount Tire Direct" online pricing. Be sure to ask for ALL METAL valve stems (about $2 more per stem), so if you decide to add a Tire Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS) down the road, you will not have to pay to have them switched out. Your current stems may look metal, but they are probably not.... It's a metal sleeve over the rubber, and will still flex if a TPMS sensor is added.

TravelTiger

2 yrs ago, our axle weight was 10900, pin was 3200. Max GCWR for us is 14500. We were loaded for a month-long trip. Rims are these:
3ubuneru.jpg

Sounds like you are more in line with a Bighorn for weight.

Miltp920

I just read on web that the maxxis m8008 requires 16x 6.5 inch rim, my rims are stamped 16x6J on inside.

Ill have to ask a tire store if they would work on current rims. Thanks

2 yrs ago, our axle weight was 10900, pin was 3200. Max GCWR for us is 14500. We were loaded for a month-long trip. Rims are these:
3ubuneru.jpg

Sounds like you are more in line with a Bighorn for weight.

Grey Ghost

I've had both Tow Max and Carlisle tires on my units in the past. I must admit that the Carlisle tires were on a trailer about six or seven years ago, however the Tow Max were on a 5ver just a few months ago. I would not give .02 cents for either one, just my opinion. I put LT tires on my 5ver, Michelin M/S2s and just love them. Also ran with Michelin Ribs and loved them too. I like the LT tire very much and have had no problems since I changed over. As I said before, just my opinion! Have fun and be safe out there! :cool:

Gaffer

I lived in the Portland area when I ordered my Maxxis from Discount Tire. They were not in stock but came up from California or Reno (I forget which) in a couple of days.

Miltp920

DW, I see you are 3 axle. I am deciding between 12 ply 23585R16 Carlisle and G614 GY for my 2 axle Cyclone. Cost is $900 less with Carlisle.i just weighed 5er is 12,500 on axles. I am not trusting of 10ply anything after reading these forums. I am assuming you stayed 10 ply since you have 3 axles. What you say about 12 ply Carlisle for 2 axles? So long as I verify newer than 2010 year manufacture? I just had a neighbor camper tell me STAY away from Carlisle, but his tire failure was in 2009. What makes
Sthe newer Carlisle "as good as any bid name manufacturer"?

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
DW, I see you are 3 axle. I am deciding between 12 ply 23585R16 Carlisle and G614 GY for my 2 axle Cyclone. Cost is $900 less with Carlisle.i just weighed 5er is 12,500 on axles. I am not trusting of 10ply anything after reading these forums. I am assuming you stayed 10 ply since you have 3 axles. What you say about 12 ply Carlisle for 2 axles? So long as I verify newer than 2010 year manufacture? I just had a neighbor camper tell me STAY away from Carlisle, but his tire failure was in 2009. What makes
Sthe newer Carlisle "as good as any bid name manufacturer"?

Be sure to take a look at the number of sidewall plys.... Go for 3 ply+. If I had your 2 axle rig I'd be looking for 17.5 wheels and tires.

Rmcgrath53

I have Carlisle tires bought in 2012. I think they changed something in the manufacturing in 2010 that has made them better than they used to be. have had no problem with them so far