Catastrophic truck failure while on vacation....

cgaskins

Our long planned and extended family vacation to Colorado and South Dakota was abruptly ended this past Tuesday. We had arrived in Estes Park on Sunday afternoon and dropped the Big Country 5er at Elk Meadow RV Resort in Estes Park, Colorado. The truck had performed great alway the from Texas to Colorado. On Tuesday morning, we were driving through RMNP and the Check Engine Light (CEL) lit up. I immediately drove the truck down to Longmont, CO (closest Ford Dealer) about an hour away. The truck drove great - no issues just the CEL lit up.

The dealership - Longmont Ford - was very sympathetic and even though they were short handed due to the holiday week, they tried to squeeze me in. By the end of the day they believed it to be a bad injector in cylinder 1 and would install a new one the next day - Wednesday. Thanks to my Ford Extended Service Program - a rental care was provided at no charge. I am an active member of the Ford Truck Enthusiasts Form (http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/) and when I arrived back at the camper, I posted my saga:

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1386119-arrgghg-truck-failure-on-vacation.html

Ford Corporation monitors this forum and a few Ford employees are active participants. A lady from Ford Service named Crystal quickly jumped in and offered her help - she and I began sending PM's back and forth immediately. The net-net was she was trying to help get me back on the road ASAP. She contacted the Regional Ford CSM who also got involved contacting the dealer and offering help if needed. I received multiple phones from the CSM over the next 24 hours. That was very unexpected!!

Well on Wednesday morning they tried the new injector and the problem got worse - truck actually ran rough, etc. At this point, I figured something was very bad. At Ford Corp's request they pulled a fuel sample and it was clean - "superior" was the diesel tech's actual comment. Then they pulled the High Pressure Fuel Pump and found metal shards. This was very bad news as the entire HPFS would have to be replaced which is a 35+ hour job once the parts have arrived. The diesel tech said that Ford rarely covered HPFS damage because most of the time it due to water in the fuel or other outside contaminants - such as DEF in the tank or gasoline in the the tank. According to Ford Corp, they would have to complete a 5 point inspection to ensure this could be covered as a warranty item. It would be Thursday before the inspection would be complete.

The problem now was what to do next... Continuing the vacation without the RV was a big hiccup for us as my wife, Allison, has severe food allergies so she has to prepare all of her own food and can only eat at few select restaurants and even then it is a risk. So we decided to pack it in and fly back to Austin. I discussed our predicament with the General Manager of the Elk Meadow RV Park and he was very sympathetic and said they would gladly help me move my RV out of the spot it was in (because cause the park was 100% sold out starting Thursday for the next week) to dry storage. The GM found a nice volunteer with a diesel truck setup for 5th wheel towing to come help me on Thursday morning which was a great relief.

About noon yesterday (Thursday), the 5 point inspection was complete and all 5 inspections passed - they found no indications of outside issues causing the problem. The root cause from what the diesel tech could tell was the High Pressure Fuel Pump just imploded. Since the pump is past the two micro filters, there was nothing to stop the metal parts from getting to the common rail fuel system and then clogging the injectors. I then received a call from the Ford CSM who said that they were working on the warranty processing but it was not approved yet (won't be until Monday). However they didn't anticipate any problems based on the verbal conversations with the Longmont Ford diesel tech. She said Ford would cover up to 30 days of rental car for me at not cost. I asked if Ford would cover my travel expenses home and then back to get my truck when it was repaired and she said yes. So Ford is covering flying my family home and then flying myself back to Colorado to get the truck. They are also covering other incidentals such as the storage fee for the RV while the truck is being fixed. What a relief!!!!

So yesterday (Thursday) we had the Big Country moved to the dry storage area at Elk Meadow. We then drove to the Denver Airport and flew home. Now I am just waiting on the repairs and expect to get my truck back on Friday, July 17th. While this was not the 19 day extended vacation we wanted, it could have been a lot worse.... We could have ben stranded in the middle of nowhere in some remote area. We could have been stranded going up that steep climb to Estes Park. Luckily none of that was a worry - my family and I were always safe and never worried about any such issues. (God is good all the time!)

Throughout this process I was amazed at the support, help, and friendliness from the every single person that I dealt with on this issue:
  • Service Advisor at Longmont Ford
  • Senior Diesel Tech at Longmont Ford
  • Crystal from Ford Corp on the FTE Forums
  • Jessica - Ford CSM for Colorado
  • Various people at the Elk Meadow RV Park in Estes Park
  • Enterprise Car Rental Assistant Manager in Longmont, CO

We are disappointed that our trip ended this way. At first I was very upset that my 2011 Ford Super Duty Diesel let me down. It has been 100% trouble free for 78,000 miles. It is the best vehicle I have ever owned. However after seeing Ford behind its product and offering all of the support I got, my faith in Ford has not wavered. The diesel tech at the dealership said he ran a full diagnostic sweep on my truck and said it was in great shape. After the HPFS 5 point inspection, other than the imploded High Pressure Fuel Pump he said even the fuel system was in great shape - almost looked like new. I have faithfully used Ford's PM22-A diesel fuel additive in every single tank since the day I purchased the truck new. I am positive that contributed to the fine shape of the fuel system. I know at this point that there is nothing I could have done to prevent this - a part will fail sometimes and that is what happens.

If you are ever in the north Denver / Estes Park area and need service on your Ford - go to Longmont Ford and ask for Rich Waters. Great guy!!! If you ever need a great place to stay in Estes Park, go to Elk Meadow RV Park. Finally, if you are a Ford Truck owner, join the FTE Forums and actively participate as I am positive that is why Ford Corp got so involved in this case.

-Chris

'Lil Guy'

Sounds like as good of an ending as you could have on a bad situation. Glad they took care of you.

buddyboy

Thanks for letting everyone know what happened. Great assistance by all you came in contact with. Glad all is well.

porthole

Retired
Sounds like Ford did what they could to try and get out from under the warranty.
Good for you.
Don't forget to follow up here with the final outcome.

Last edited:

Kbvols

Chris

Hate to hear your vacation trip was ruined. It was your trip planning posts that inspired us to plan a trip to SD later this month. Good thing is Ford has seemed to really take care of you and you all are safe. Hopefully future vacation trips will go better and be greater than ever.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I'm bummed out that you didn't get to finish your trip . . .

I know you've been planning it for awhile.

We were up there (South Dakota) a couple of years ago and are planning another round in a year or two!

Hopefully you'll get to reschedule again soon!

If there is anything I can do to help when you come back to get your trailer please let me know through PM!

cgaskins

Chris
Hate to hear your vacation trip was ruined. It was your trip planning posts that inspired us to plan a trip to SD later this month. Good thing is Ford has seemed to really take care of you and you all are safe. Hopefully future vacation trips will go better and be greater than ever.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks Keith and Kim. I love planning the trips almost as much as going on the trip. You know, this entire problem has just taught me to "chill". I have been truly blessed by the good Lord and this was just a small hiccup in the grand scheme of things. I can see so many "good" things from this experience already. There will be more trips in the future and more good times.

-Chris

cgaskins

I'm bummed out that you didn't get to finish your trip . . .
I know you've been planning it for awhile.
We were up there (South Dakota) a couple of years ago and are planning another round in a year or two!
Hopefully you'll get to reschedule again soon!
If there is anything I can do to help when you come back to get your trailer please let me know through PM!

Thanks John! I appreciate the offer. I will just catch cab or use Uber to get a ride from the airport to Longmont. From there it is easy, just get the truck then go up to Estes Park and get the trailer, then make the long trek home.

-Chris

cgaskins

UPDATE - 07/12/2015

I spoke with my service advisor at Longmont Ford on Friday afternoon. The diesel tech had finished the HPFS replacement and was doing the final checks before putting fuel in it for the first time and firing it up. He indicated it should be ready for pickup next week. I asked them to please have someone drive it and put some miles on it before I get there on Friday the 17th to ensure all is good with the truck. He said no problem.

My plans are to fly up to Denver Thursday evening and pickup the truck at Longmont Ford at 7:30am on Friday, then drive up to Estes Park get the camper and start the 987 mile drive back to Austin, Texas.

Thanks everyone for all of the support!

-Chris

Any updates?

As a side note, I've heard of similar problems with GM trucks - the injection pump (CP3 or CP4) fails and sends shrapnel through the system and wrecks everything in its path.

cgaskins

Update - 07/18/2015

The truck was ready this past Tuesday. I flew to Denver (from Austin) on Thursday night and picked it up at 7:00am Friday (yesterday) morning. Everything was covered 100% by warranty. I submitted all my travel expenses, etc. to Ford and should get reimbursed for that. Friday morning, I drove up to Estes Park, picked up the Big Country and started the drive back to Austin. I made to Amarillo (500 miles) yesterday and the rest of the way today (500 miles). Good to be home.

-Chris

scottyb

I have faithfully used Ford's PM22-A diesel fuel additive in every single tank since the day I purchased the truck new.

Chris, I am sorry your vacation was interrupted, but glad you had a satisfactory outcome. You did some serious hauling to get back from Estes Park in 2 days.

I have used the PM22 in all of our 6.7L diesels, including the trucks at work. The company buys it by the case. I started using it more to create a paper trail because of reports of warranty issues, but it sounds like the stuff really works. This HPFP issue has always been a big concern of mine. Glad to hear that Ford stood behind it.

BBslider001

And it also seems to be the 2011s that really suffer. I am glad Ford stood behind it because I have read other stories where they did not.