Caulking around the windows?

LCowan

We have had our 2011 NT 24 RBS for about a month or so now and want to re-caulk it before the rainy season hits. There is not any caulking around the windows nor does it look like there has ever been any. When I asked the dealer we were told that the windows are put in the trailer in a way that does not require them to be caulked. I would like to know if this is also the case with other NT owners.

Thank you,
Lisa

Last edited by a moderator:

rhodies1

We have had our 2011 NT 24 RBS for about a month or so now and want to re-caulk it before the rainy season hits. There is not any caulking around the windows nor does it look like there has ever been any. When I asked the dealer we were told that the windows are put in the trailer in a way that does not require them to be caulked. I would like to know if this is also the case with other NT owners.

Thank you,
Lisa

most all windows are caulked except for the new automotive style,I would caulk as a precaution.Do not caulk the bottom,do the top and down the sides to the lower corners,you want an area to allow water to escape should the windows leak.

mlpeloquin

I have not taken out or loosened any of our windows, but they maybe sealed using a closed cell sponge tape. Not seeing how it was installed makes it still a mystery. Anyway that is how the window in our entry door is sealed. I know that because we replace the glass with a stained glass one. It would not hurt to calk as described by rhodies1. The closed cell tape does the job so long as it was installed properly. Cannot see through the frame so calking can give one piece of mind.

kf5qby

If they are like the ones I put in the small trailer I built, there is a rubber seal on the lip of the window frame. When it is mounted the rubber compresses and forms a water tight seal between the wall and frame without needing caulk.

mlpeloquin

Just went over the calking today. Checked all the windows and all are sealed with closed cell foam tape. If done properly, closed cell foam tape will not leak unless the fasteners are removed and the window frame is popped free. The closed cell tape is self sticking on both sides. Just have to keep an eye on it over time to see if UV or weather starts to break it down.

redevil

Just noticed that my door on outdoor kitchen on my NT 24BHS does not have caulking on the topside and just this past weekend travelling to our campsite in pouring rain noticed it was leaking in the compartment. Not sure if all storage doors should also be caulked in addition to the window tops should be caulked? I did notice that the interior trimming as come loose due likely to the water getting in to the compartment. I don't see any damage to the wood on the cabinets so that is a good sign.

Going to be dropping it off to have the dealership fix it this Sat. so hopefully no further damage on the walls.