Caulking Issues

scottyb

I am convinced that I am the world's worst at caulking but I know it has to be done. I have noticed lately that it looks like some of the sealant is melting. This is along the trim where the outside wall and skirting come together. It looks very similar to the sealant that comes in rolls that is used on the laps on metal roofing. My 1st question is how would I clean up this mess? it appears to be oozing out of the trim piece.

Also the caulking throughout the trailer seems to be stained black like it has mold or mildew in many places. It doesn't come off like the black staind from the roof. How do you clean or prep for re-caulking?

Last but not least, what is your preferred caulking material and how do you color match it?

Attachments

• IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    64.2 KB · Views: 125

mobilcastle

Do you strip off all the caulk or just the bad places and re coat the others? Is their any tricks to remove the old caulk? I have caulked many items in houses but never a coach.
Thanks
Steve

oldmannj

I am convinced that I am the world's worst at caulking but I know it has to be done. I have noticed lately that it looks like some of the sealant is melting. This is along the trim where the outside wall and skirting come together. It looks very similar to the sealant that comes in rolls that is used on the laps on metal roofing. My 1st question is how would I clean up this mess? it appears to be oozing out of the trim piece.

Also the caulking throughout the trailer seems to be stained black like it has mold or mildew in many places. It doesn't come off like the black staind from the roof. How do you clean or prep for re-caulking?

Last but not least, what is your preferred caulking material and how do you color match it?

The oozing goo on the seam in the picture appears to be butyl caulk if you stick a fingernail in it and the mark stays that's what it is. Use a plastic putty knife and remove as much as you can. After that use goo gone to remove any residue. That stuff is great at sealing ,but NEVER sets up. Don't worry too much about recaulking there unless you can see an obvious void. As for the black spots it is probably mold. There's no easy way to remove the old caulk but if you just recoat it you wasted your time.

I'm in the middle of redoing our entire coach and I'm using single edge razor blades and metal as well as plastic putty knives. Then again our "new" coach is an '08 and already has imperfections in the skin. You'll probably want to stick with the plastic putty knives. They also sell a plastic tool for removing caulk which is iffy but will work too.

As to the caulk to use , I found just recently a product named sikaflex 221. This stuff is the best thing since buttered bread. No one will ever hire me to run a caulk gun professionally, but this stuff makes me look good!!! I know it comes in white black and grey. There may be other colors but I don't know that for sure. Hope this helps a bit. I'm sure others will chime in shortly. ED. :angel:

dbylinski

NE Reg Dir Retired
I am convinced that I am the world's worst at caulking but I know it has to be done.

For a very neat job use 3M Blue Painters Tape. It's more work taping off the area but you wind up with an awesome finished project!
//heartlandowners.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=12711&d=1302988906