Caulking

Piperflyer

My neighbors 2015 BC here in FL has the caulking literally falling out of some caulk joints and the sun has really dried up and cracked most of the caulking joints over the last couple of years. The unit is kept outside like most RV's are. He is in the process of redoing all the caulk on his unit.
I know the sun plays **** on anything kept outside. I would like to know if there is any way to slow this process of the caulk from drying out and having to be replaced in only a few years out in the weather. I would like to think I don't have to replace my caulking after a couple of years, especially once the warranty runs out.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Although the UV rays from sunlight does wreak havoc on the exterior components causing failures, your neighbors issue does seem premature at just a couple years. I've had to "touch up" some caulk joints on my 2009 BH, but haven't seen large scale failure of any joints on the roof, or elsewhere yet. Is it localized to any specific areas, or pretty much all over?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Piperflyer

Although the UV rays from sunlight does wreak havoc on the exterior components causing failures, your neighbors issue does seem premature at just a couple years. I've had to "touch up" some caulk joints on my 2009 BH, but haven't seen large scale failure of any joints on the roof, or elsewhere yet. Is it localized to any specific areas, or pretty much all over?

Most of the roof area and areas that the sun has been on mainly.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Well geographic location may play a part in this also. I am in MI so the amount of sunlight and intensity of rays would be less. It still seems odd, but maybe someone has another idea.

sengli

As I have read on here several times, the factory says to check and touch up the caulking every 6 months for the warranty to stay in force, especially on the roofs. My rig is stored out of the sun most of the time. I have found several areas, not on the roof that needed to be re-done after about two years.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Some folks have foregone the caulking and covered all roof joints with EternaBond tape. I've been considering that since my rig is getting to be 9 years old. It is a 2009 model, but the build date was February of 2008. The caulking has not degraded visually, but I did redo it two years ago.

You don't have to remove the old caulk, just clean it and put a fresh bead on it. I used a plastic paint scraper to smooth it out.

Piperflyer

Some folks have foregone the caulking and covered all roof joints with EternaBond tape. I've been considering that since my rig is getting to be 9 years old. It is a 2009 model, but the build date was February of 2008. The caulking has not degraded visually, but I did redo it two years ago.

Any idea how long the tape lasts out in the elements and how easy would it be to replace the tape once it needs to be replaced, if need be?

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member

Any idea how long the tape lasts out in the elements and how easy would it be to replace the tape once it needs to be replaced, if need be?

Just anecdotal from the forum, but I believe it will last the life of the roof. Removing it is not really possible unless you need to replace the roof membrane. Once it's on, it's on.

MTPockets

Just anecdotal from the forum, but I believe it will last the life of the roof. Removing it is not really possible unless you need to replace the roof membrane. Once it's on, it's on.
Ditto on the Eternabond. I used it on roof seams as a permanent fix. Take care and prepare surface per instructions and apply carefully. Also, I found ProflexRV caulk/sealant to perform best. It's really sticky when wet, and a bit more difficult to handle and apply, but has excellent life. Use latex gloves when applying and have water handy to keep fingers wet if you need to smooth it out when applying. Also, paper towels to wipe any oops.

Last edited:

ndoane

I have a 2013 Landmark Key Largo All the caulking on the entire coach has mold under the caulking. Has any one else had this problem.