Ceiling leak

ernest917

HELP!!!!

First MAJOR rain storm since we’ve had our Bighorn!!!

It’s 1AM and it’s POURING!!!!

I’m sitting in my recliner and feel a drop of water on my foot!!!

Quickly turn on lights and discover that the flat rectangular plate on the ceiling that hides the coaxial cables for TV antenna???? is leaking water!!!

It’s dead center of the ceiling between to AC vents....

I removed the plate and water came out... It’s now dripping water!!!

It’s about 3’ diagonally from the actual rooftop antenna crank....

Obviously I can’t get on the roof in the pouring rain in the dark so it’ll have to wait until daylight...

My question I guess is: what are all the coaxial cables going to on the roof....

I do have a large Winegard traveler dish up there.... I need to figure out exactly where the leak is on the roof so I can caulk it when the rain lets up!!!

Suggestions????

ernest917

Update: a first for me - up on the roof of my trailer at 2AM during a lull in the downpour!!!!

I believe I found the culprit - all the cables from the Winegard satellite dish come out of the roof and junction at a central location (about where the leak is) and then go across the roof to the dish for the hook ups....

I dried off that area and put about 1/2 tube of Dicore caulk completely covering that junction location!!

Fun doing that while holding a flashlight in my mouth....

Hopefully that takes care of the issue - next rainstorm will be here soon so I guess we will see!!!!

thewanderingeight

Fingers crossed that will at least get you through the next rainstorm. My only concern would be, did the Dicor adhere and set properly given that everything was wet?

Also, any thoughts on how we the insulation in the ceiling is? When I had a big leak on a previous RV, the insulation was still soaked weeks after I had fixed the leak. I ended up pulling down the entire ceiling in that area to replace it.

I wish RV manufacturers would find a better way to insulate the roofs to avoid this issue!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

You might want to take the shrouds the ac units and give the mounting bolts a turn to compress the seals between the roof and the base of the units.
Water can get in there and travel through the roof.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk