Cell service - Should I stay or should I go?

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
We have had Verizon for over 15 years and so far we've been happy with their coverage, most especially here in the Colorado Rockies, where very few of the other cell carriers have had service in the past.

However, we are now at the point where it is time to get new phones, but Verizon now is so expensive that it is getting out of hand (like DirecTV :mad: ).

Cathy's phone has been paid off for over two years and mine just got paid off earlier this morning with our auto-payment.

And to make matters worse, right now we have a 2GB per month data plan, and to get unlimited data through Verizon would raise our bill another $85 a month, which would put our cell bill around $200 per month.

Now, we rarely ever come close to our 2GB a month, but that is mostly due to us not using our data because of worrying about going over the 2GB.

I'd like to get into the new millenium along with the rest of the world and not worry about those high data overage charges.

Now most of the other carriers are offering unlimited data plans for much less, so we are considering possibly switching.

What cell services are you guys using and are you happy with them?

dykesj11

John, I'll be interested in what folks have to say. We've had ATT longer than I can remember. It was okay while we were stationary in San Diego. Now full timing around the country, there are many places where coverage is not that great. And it always seems like Verizon has it covered. Greener grass? Verizon may be expensive but ATT has not been cheap. We're considering keeping Lynn on ATT and me shifting to Verizon for hopefully best compromise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

'Lil Guy'

It's a curse John. I pay over $200 a mo for Verizon just for the data and coverage. I think we have 22G's for data. I tried to change and want to change but can't find a provider to get close. Good luck in your endeavor.

Anxious to see what other's have. Here at home we also need it for the internet.

billyjoeraybob

South Carolina Chapter Leaders-Retired
John I have been pleased with Verizon coverage and the new unlimited plan. I travel a lot and always have a signal where my boss on ATT often struggles YMMV

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

KrazyKampers

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-Retired
The unlimited data plan from Verizon is great if you only have one phone. Once you have more the fee per phone really starts to add up. Since we don't travel all year, I reduce my plan in the fall and pick it up again in the spring. Verizon does have the best coverage including Canada, Mexico and international. I've had mine for years even before retirement. I traveled a lot in my job and it served me well all over the world.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

RoadJunkie

Better the devil you know...stick with Verizon and keep your current phone. The 2 gig limit just keeps you from looking like an idiot always staring at your phone. We have a long history with Verizon, but that's a story for another day.

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
John, What's wrong with the phones you got? Do they still work?

Cathy's phone is old and starting to act up (battery going bad, doing weird things), and I've never really liked the phone I have now (HTC One M9), so I'd like to switch back to a Droid.

Since we are at that point where we can make some changes, I thought I'd see if any of the other cell providers are worth consideration.

Mikemec51

We have AT&T and believe me it is horrible coverage. We were in Yellowstone two weeks ago and had no coverage where my sister had Verizon and could get coverage everywhere. We will be changing to Verizon and very very soon. I have been with AT&T or some form of that name since 1994. Probably going to the 8 GB plan. Would love to go with the unlimited but like you say it is kind of expensive. Our average usage with AT&T is about 7 to 7 1/2 gigs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

MP_CS

I totally agree with verizons fees but im stuck as they are the only company with coverage were i work. I'm paying just south of $200 a mnth for 8gb for two iphones and one ipad. I'd love to tell verizon to pound salt but until some competion come into my VERY rural area I'm the one with high sodium.

weekender01

We have Verizon and I got a deal with them where we got 12 GB of data and 2 GB bonus plus any rollover data. I pay with taxes, phone, insurance, etc. around $150/month. You need to check Verizon' plans again because you can get an 8GB plan with rollover data or $70 plus $20 for each smartphone. That is only $110 plus tax for a plan and 2 phones. Also watch for deals on phones. We got 2 Samsung Galaxy S7 phones for buy 1 get 1 free.

Bob.jr

We have AT&T unlimited ($200.00) per month. But I get a15% military discount. And $50.00 off direct tv. Works for .me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J320A using Tapatalk

justafordguy

AT&T here, the coverage sucks but I love the unlimited data. I own a tech company and we use a ton of data so that is the most important part of the service for us.

Mike-n-Justina

We have Verizon also and just switched our plan to the unlimited plan yesterday. We are also Amazon prime members and like to stream music from there while camping our just sitting on the patio at home. Our 2 sons are on our plan also but they pay their share of the bill. This way there is no worries if we would happen to go over the 10gb we used to have. I also got the new Samsung S+ a couple weeks ago. If your thinking of getting a new phone, this one is pretty awesome.

Kbvols

My brother has worked for and sold cell phones and services for AT&T, Verizon, Sprint and Tmobile. He no longer works for Verizon but still keeps their service for his personal phone even though he works for a competitor. Verizon has better service.

I would call them tell them you want to review plan options available discounts and promotions as you are considering other carriers. I have done this in the past and lowered my cost. If your out of contract you have leverage as they want to keep you as a customer.

Dennyha

We have been with Verizon for over 20 years. We are temporarily full time, and using Verizon data as our primary internet in the camper was killing us. I looked into Verizon's "unlimited" plan, but the plan is only unlimited for phones. Hotspots are limited to 10G, and the hotspot is primarily where we use our data.

Well we switched to AT&T two weeks ago. They have a hot spot that is not limited (over 22G and they have the right to throttle that specific device back if he network is congested.). So far, we've been comparing my work phone (Verizon) with my wife's phone (AT&T) and we haven't seen much of a difference (Ohio, Michigan, Indiana, Kentucky, and Tennessee). My phone has been a bar better than hers as often as hers has been a bar better than mine. We have noticed that when my phone is on one bar, the reception sucks, but when her phone is down to one bar, she can carry on just fine. I have no explanation, it's just an observation.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you want coverage everywhere, have one of each -- AT&T and Verizon.

Otherwise, stick to what you have for a carrier if it works well where you travel. AT&T works great where we live and have traveled for the most part, but not as well in Colorado.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rxbristol

Since your data usage is so low, consider Verizon's pay as you go plans--LINK. A decent phone is less than $100 and the bill will be less than $50 per phone. Advice--get the new phone at one of their stores...it will save you lots of heartache and ensures your current phone number is ported to the new phone.

- - - Updated - - -