Central Valley California to Orlando Florida 12/21

We are planning a trip to Disney World the first of December 2021 from Turlock CA, what is the consensus? I have not tried a winter trip cross country! Is the southern route pretty good that time of year? Also any suggestions on were to stay in Orlando and I was also thinking on staying for a while maybe going to the Keys?

Thanks
Bill

MTPockets

We are planning a trip to Disney World the first of December 2021 from Turlock CA, what is the consensus? I have not tried a winter trip cross country! Is the southern route pretty good that time of year? Also any suggestions on were to stay in Orlando and I was also thinking on staying for a while maybe going to the Keys?

Thanks
Bill
We really enjoyed the KOA in Kissimmee, FL. Great location for access to all the Orlando theme parks. Also restaurants, etc. We were there for two months.

Flick

Thanks
Bill

Wow. What a trip that would be. Hopefully, our nation is well on the way to some form of normalcy by then.
I’m sure someone will give you info on how to best get thru the western tier states. Once you drop down to I10, except for the occasional weather system, you’re good to go all the way to Florida staying on I10. We went to Orlando 2 years ago and stayed at Fort Wilderness which is part of the Disney complex. Spaces were rather tight but we were able to get our Cyclone in without to much trouble. Being on Disney property has its perks but there are other nice parks in the area, as was mentioned.
We’re headed for the Keys in April of this year and have reservations at Marathon, Fl.
Enjoy your trip. The winter isn’t a problem once you get to central Texas.

mikeandconnie

Thanks
Bill

We have traveled California/ Florida too many time to count and taken every route. Each trip was wonderful and special to my wife and myself. I would lean toward I5 to I10 to I75 in the winter months if I had a tight schedule.

Come by the Florida Panhandle and see the Sugar Sand Beaches.

Mike

jmarnell

Thanks
Bill

Three years ago we took our Cyclone from Tulsa, Oklahoma to southern California to spend Christmas with family (I grew up in the Los Angeles area). We kept a close eye on the weather travelling I-40 west until Flagstaff, then cut down to I-10 for the rest of the way to southern California. We didn't hit any bad weather, but on previous trips I've hit snow on I-40 anywhere east of Flagstaff. I would suggest working your way down the central valley, cut across north of the mountains to avoid Los Angeles, and then at some point drop down to I-10 and then keep heading east. Better chance of avoiding winter weather the further south you travel.

wdk450

You can avoid a lot of the central Los Angeles basin by taking Ca. Hwy 58 East from Bakersfield. Tehachapi pass isn't that bad on grades, and a lot less travelled than the Grapevine (I-5) pass. Hwy 58 East of the mountains across the upper antelope valley desert to Barstow is a piece of cake, mostly 4 lane expressway. Barstow is where I-40 Eastbound starts; or you can jog south 70 miles (?) off of Hwy 58 at Kramer junction on US 395 (or I-15 South at Barstow) (or even on Ca. 247) to connect with I-10 Eastbound. I have driven all of these towing the Bighorn (especially the 59-395-I15 route) to get from the central valley to the Riverside county/San Diego area.

Wow. What a trip that would be. Hopefully, our nation is well on the way to some form of normalcy by then.
I’m sure someone will give you info on how to best get thru the western tier states. Once you drop down to I10, except for the occasional weather system, you’re good to go all the way to Florida staying on I10. We went to Orlando 2 years ago and stayed at Fort Wilderness which is part of the Disney complex. Spaces were rather tight but we were able to get our Cyclone in without to much trouble. Being on Disney property has its perks but there are other nice parks in the area, as was mentioned.
We’re headed for the Keys in April of this year and have reservations at Marathon, Fl.
Enjoy your trip. The winter isn’t a problem once you get to central Texas.

Thanks for the reply, I am looking for someplace to stay in the Keys but having a problem! What is the name of the place you are staying in Marathon FL?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the replies! We could not get into the Disney property but was able to get into the KOA Kissimmee. Now I am trying to find someplace in southern Florida to spend a few weeks! Tried in Key Largo but was booked up!

Thanks again
Bill

- - - Updated - - -

We really enjoyed the KOA in Kissimmee, FL. Great location for access to all the Orlando theme parks. Also restaurants, etc. We were there for two months.

Thanks for the suggestion we were able to get reservations at the KOA and it looks great!
Thanks again
Bill

MTPockets

Thanks for the reply, I am looking for someplace to stay in the Keys but having a problem! What is the name of the place you are staying in Marathon FL?

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for all the replies! We could not get into the Disney property but was able to get into the KOA Kissimmee. Now I am trying to find someplace in southern Florida to spend a few weeks! Tried in Key Largo but was booked up!

Thanks again
Bill

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks for the suggestion we were able to get reservations at the KOA and it looks great!
Thanks again
Bill

FYI - Directly Across the highway from KOA, walking distance, is a really nice dinner & show, Capone’s dinner & show. If it’s still open, a worthwhile evening.

MillerTime802

We'll be heading to Orlando Florida area in a couple of months. Anyone know which route (along the coast or upper states) is the best way, with minimal "bad" roads?

Thanks,
Brad

Flick

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again
Bill

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks again
Bill

The place we have reservations at is Grassy Keys rv park. We’re going end of April which begins their off peak season.