Change in the post viewing style

linuxkidd

Hello All,
I have set a new style for viewing posts on a trial basis to get feedback. If you notice, the information about the person who posted the thread or post is now on the left of the post instead of being spread across the top the way it had been.

We are interested in getting any thoughts and opinions on this new style before we commit to it 100%.

Please let us know what you think...

Thanks,
LK

Jellystone

Linuxkidd, It looks good to me. Very neat and well presented in the top left corner. Thanks again for all your tech/software support with the forum.

porthole

Retired
Looks good. But as long as you bring up post viewing - when viewing the "new posts" we have a page of post subjects, hovering over the the post title brings up the a bubble with the text of the first post. Most of the time the the bubble does not stay visible long enough for me to read it and decide if I will open the post.
A little more time would allow me the option of reading the whole thread or not at all if it doesn't hold my interest.

You sure did give yourself a bit of work changing over the software ..............

MystrMagic

Magician
Hello Linuxkidd. I concur with all the previous posts. Looks good and thanks for your work. One thing I don't like is the repeat listing for new posts. Perhaps I'm wrong but it appears that if there are two new posts in a thread then that thread is listed twice in the new posts listing. Seems to make the new post listing much longer than it used to be. I thought the old system only listed new posts once, regardless of how many new comments had been added in that thread. Every time I get on now I'm finding several "duplicate" new post listings that I must click on.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I miss the who's online and birthdays. I know the who is online is there, but it's not readily available.

Peace
Dave

TXBobcat

Fulltime
This format is nice and I can get use to it. One thought. By showing the information below the Avatar you loose the full length of the screen for text. I liked the information on the top right corner as before and have more room to read posts. Seems like your loosing space.

I like this quick reply window. It uses the full width of the screen in a way I mentioned above. One question about the Quick Reply. Can you include the Attachment icon so we do not have to go to Advanced to include a photo.

I know your going through a lot of work to upgrade the forum application. I appreciate the Active Topic dropdown. I use it almost exclusively.

Good work.
BC

Tom of Ypsi

I would like to see the avatar, poster and pertinent info below a little bigger. I would also like to see when the last time I visited put back on again.

GETnBYE

Hi LK,
I may be wrong, but didn't we have a little thing that let you go to the last post of a particular conversation?
Great job by the way.
Nita

GETnBYE

My bad, I found it.
Hi LK,
I may be wrong, but didn't we have a little thing that let you go to the last post of a particular conversation?
Great job by the way.
Nita

I found the little arrows, sorry.
I could just delete this post, but I am only 3 posts away from being a senior member. :>

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I like the appearance of the new viewing format. As Tom of YPSI commented, I really miss the info that let you know how long it's been since our last visit. That is especially helpful so we know how far back to monitor posts. Otherwise the new software and new format for me is fine. Change is difficult at times but we can adapt.

truknutt

Committed Member
Ray,

Don't know if this is what you're interested in but if you drop down the "Active Topics" selection (below "What's New") the first choice is "Since last Visit". Other than looking at the oldest "New" post, I can't see where you would find an actual date/time.

Dave

linuxkidd

Looks good. But as long as you bring up post viewing - when viewing the "new posts" we have a page of post subjects, hovering over the the post title brings up the a bubble with the text of the first post. Most of the time the the bubble does not stay visible long enough for me to read it and decide if I will open the post.
A little more time would allow me the option of reading the whole thread or not at all if it doesn't hold my interest....

Unfortunately, that lil bubble is a browser feature... The browser controls how long it stays up. I just move the mouse off, then back over the subject again and continue reading.. not as convenient, but not much can be done about this one..

... Can you include the Attachment icon so we do not have to go to Advanced to include a photo...

The quick reply had icons above the box. One of the icons is a lil photo looking icon. That will allow attachment of photos right from there.

I would like to see the avatar, poster and pertinent info below a little bigger. I would also like to see when the last time I visited put back on again.

Changing the size of the avatar and poster data will take a bit of time to sift through all the CSS code.. I do intend to get the 'last visited' time put back up top for everyone...

Since most seem to like the new left-side post format, I'll be leaving it active. Thanks for all the feedback.

LK

irvin56

I noticed the new blue forum section on the right of screen. NICE, it's much easier to see the forum it posted in. Eyes are not that good and this feature maks it easier to see if I want to go into that post.
Thanks again