changing mattresses

Draco Dog

We have a Big Horn 2008 3670RL. We love the trailer, but wanted to have a different mattress for the bed. The bed in the Big Horn is a King Size and the one in our home is a California King. The California King is a little wider and longer. We will be retiring the end of this year and wanted our Ca King mattress in the trailer. The mattress is solid rubber and a wonderful mattress. So-----we exchanged the 2 mattresses. Now, when we attempt to close the slide-out, the mattress is too long. There are about 3 inches that need to come off the CA King mattress. Any Suggestions on how to shorten this mattress?

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
Not sure on how to shorten the mattress but can you have one person lift the foot of the mattress up while the other runs the slide in. Maybe the mattress will sit on top of the dresser? I know we thought of that for ours but we bought an RV King air bed from camping world instead.

Rickhansen

We just purchased a new Serta California King to replace our 3670's mattress. By the numbers, I expected it to be 4" longer than the RV-King that came from the factory. It is as near as you can measure, the exact same size.

DennisZ

Bedinabox.com will custom make a RV king bed for $100 over the cost of any of the king beds. They have a really great guarantee and some good reviews. I just ordered on for the home, if we like it, I'll order one for the BH.

Dennis

johnjbird

If it is a all foam mattress simply remove the cover and you probable can cut it with a box cutter. Did this in my Bh with a mattress topper

Draco Dog

Thank you all so much for your help. You are awesome and I love this web site. Our California King mattress is solid rubber. It is so comfortable and didn't want to part with it. The mattress cost $1,000 several years ago. It weighs a lot more than the mattress that came with the BH. It took 3 guys to move it into the trailer. Hubby ended up cutting, with a large hunting knife, no-less, off 4 inches from the length. Now it fits just perfect when the tip-outs are "in". The mattress is so heavy that I doubt if the 2 of us could of placed it on top of the dresser. Although that was a good idea. Thanks again for all your help.

htneighbors

Unbelievably Blessed!
Not that i have shopped for mattresses much, but I've never seen a solid rubber mattress. Sounds comfy, though.

Draco Dog

I had to look up the info on our mattress. It is an "Englander". It is a 100% pure, natural rubber Laytex mattress. We purchased ours 10 years ago. The literature I had on the mattress didn't mention a web site, but I'm sure they have one. I just went to GOOGLE and asked for "Englander rubber mattress". GOOGLE pulled up lots of info on this mattress. The mattress may cost a lot, but I'll bet you will never have to buy another one. We love ours.