Changing to FL residency questions

fastcarsspeed

We will be fulltiming in about six months and I need to establish residency now for a couple of reasons. My questions are can I fly down for a couple of days to get my drivers license and get my truck and rv registered? I am working in the northeast for the next couple of months but want to get everything registered and done as soon as possible. I have the form 82040 which is the registration form but I am still kind of confused in the titling process to get my truck and trailer registered and tagged in FL, as both have liens still.

Garypowell

The easiest thing would be to simply call the state office for registrations and get your answers from them. We did this over 20 years ago and things might have changed. We have found they are usually good over the phone.

You will need a Florida address.

And when we did it we had to pay the Florida tax on our vehicles as if they were bought in the state. So if you have $60,000 truck be sure and ask if you have to pay sales tax (7% in our county) on it like we did to license it in the state.

Good luck!

fastcarsspeed

Yes calling is my next option LOL. I do not have to pay sales tax but do have to pay a fee per vehicle on top of the regular registration fees. Luckily I am renting a room from my friend while I travel back and forth and find the right park for the rv. We want to keep the RV and truck up in the Mid Atlantic for the camping season since this will be our last time camping up here for a while.

rxbristol

If you're not an Escapee member I highly recommend you do that. Why not make Texas your residency? In Texas, if you paid more sales tax on your vehicles in your current state than what Texas requires (6.25%) you'll not have to pay any taxes and only the difference if you paid less.

fastcarsspeed

My daughter is transferring from MD to FL for College next spring. One big reason to have residency in FL. My son is also looking at FL schools. We will primarily be in FL unless we take the RV to one of my work engagements.

fastcarsspeed

Yes for this is what I have come up with so far from the FL DMV Site. https://www.flhsmv.gov/fees/#mvfees

Initial Registration Fee: 225 X 2 I am guessing for the rv also.
F350: 118
43' RV: either 27.00 or 47.50. I can't tell because 5th wheel is 27 and over 4500 lbs rv is 47.50
Titling 75.25 X 2

The good thing is my insurance goes way down because MD insurance rates are insane.

MTPockets

When we established residency in FL in 2005, the DMV had to confirm the VIN on the vehicle by a physical verification. In other words, the vehicle has to be there to complete the registration.

fastcarsspeed

Yeah now it states that a law enforcement officer can inspect and verify the VIN from another state. I am going to call them to see what I need to do.

Lou_and_Bette

If you're not an Escapee member I highly recommend you do that. Why not make Texas your residency? In Texas, if you paid more sales tax on your vehicles in your current state than what Texas requires (6.25%) you'll not have to pay any taxes and only the difference if you paid less.

Rex, I’m not sure about the sales tax issue since I didn’t have to pay any when we transferred in 2012. I do know that I had to pay an additional fee of $90 per vehicle on top of the regular registration fees to transfer my 3 vehicles. That $90 was a one time fee. So, something to consider if someone is considering joining us Texans.

aatauses

Since you want FL as your home base, consider using American Home Base as your mail service, this will also give you residency. They are located in Pensacola and we have used them for 9 years and they are great. You can also call them about getting your rv and truck registered (they do that for full timers) and they will know the real truth about how long it takes and weather you can do it in one trip.
al currently in AZ.