Charging battery

aatauses

Hi everyone,
I am thinking about a small generator (2000W) and have a few questions. Can I hook that up directly to the RV, knowing I may not be able to power much, but really want to just keep the batteries charged? would I be further ahead to just get a small battery charger and only charge the batteries? If I opt for just charging the batteries, would I need to disconnect the converter cable before charging?
thanks,
Al

danemayer

If you hook the RV directly to the generator, using an appropriate adapter, you'll be powering the Power Converter which will charge the batteries. You likely have an 80 amp Power Converter which I think will outperform any small battery charger.

Gary521

With an attachment to your AC ( Microair ) you can also run the air conditioner with a generator of this size.

rwdennis

Yes , i use a 2000 watt smart tools generator , bought from cosco a few years ago , around 550 bucks , has a yamaha motor , about 800 hours and still starts on 1st or 2nd pull , if batteries are way down , may have to use built in generator for a few minutes to get past the bulk charge rate , quieter and uses about a gallon of gas in 8 hours(depending on load)

wdk450

The built-in Progressive 9200 series converter/charger is surely a much more sophisticated battery charging system than any external charger you would get. This comes from a retired hospital electronics technician who has seen all sorts of charger designs for all of the battery backed-up electronic patient care devices (beds, defibrillators. IV pumps, EKG carts, virtually everything) used in the hospital.

The Progressive 9200 series with the Charge Wizard circuitry has 4 distinct charge modes - Boost, normal, storage, and equalization. The BEST medical device battery charger circuitry I saw had only 3 modes. The Progressive 9200 series equalization mode runs every 21 hours for 15 minutes, to reverse battery sulphation, a major cause of battery failure. See: https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/charge-wizard/ . I suggest you leave your rig plugged if you can, and if you have concerns about this turn off all of the branch circuit breakers except the one for the converter/charger.

"[FONT=&quot]The Charge Wizard has been shown to increase the battery life by 2 to 3 times or more."[/FONT]