Check your shackle bolts!!!

jhardin

I decided to get my tires balanced and lifted camper to get tires off ground (manual overide) and heard a loud pop (Like metal snaping). I have heard this noise several times before and searched and searched unable to find the source. By lifting the camper, it was very obvious... One tire was off the ground and the other was still on the ground. The loud popping noise seamed to be the shackle coming in/out or popping off the shackle bracket (I guess). I never really thought to check the shackle bolts, but from now on I have it added to my check list. I have added some pictures incase you happen to have this problem.

Attachments

• 20210401_135424.jpg
    20210401_135424.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 131
  • 20210401_163713.jpg
    20210401_163713.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 129
  • 20210401_163247.jpg
    20210401_163247.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 123
  • 20210401_163301.jpg
    20210401_163301.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 120

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for calling attention to this. Curious, do you have wet bolts?
I've lost two shackle bolts, one lost on the road and one was in two pieces still in the spring. Broke at the grease hole.

Peace
Dave

jhardin

Mine are dry. I believe I'll change mine to wet one's when I get back. Leaving Sunday to go to North Ga. to do a little trout fishing.🙂

DirtyMax88

I decided to get my tires balanced and lifted camper to get tires off ground (manual overide) and heard a loud pop (Like metal snaping). I have heard this noise several times before and searched and searched unable to find the source. By lifting the camper, it was very obvious... One tire was off the ground and the other was still on the ground. The loud popping noise seamed to be the shackle coming in/out or popping off the shackle bracket (I guess). I never really thought to check the shackle bolts, but from now on I have it added to my check list. I have added some pictures incase you happen to have this problem.

Have you thought about making the trek to Morryde and getting full IS and disc brakes? Its a big expense (and a haul from GA), but is worth every penny for the piece of mind and quality of ride. Every time I see someone post something about axle/suspension issues and problems, it makes me glad we made the trek and had it done.

rhodies1

looking at your pics of the lose shackle bolts,, I noticed your spring pack is off center . Your leafs do not align straight. I would check the torque on the u bolts. They should be between 80 and 90 ft lbs, it looks like you have additional leafs installed. Time to re torque but did not over torque,you can stretch the u bolt threads

jhardin

I have the CRE 3000 with disk barkes.
7d9ace30dcf9c294cb37061d81c134ac.jpg

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

MTPockets

When we travelled full time I checked the torque on my bolts every few months for two years. I always found several that needed re/torqued. They finally set in. I never had any alignment, or tire wear issues in five years of full time travel travel. I had installed the Neverfail bushings when unit was new.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
This is from etrailer.
If you are using 9/16 inch shackle bolts which are the most common you will want 65 to 95 foot pounds of torque.

If you are using 1/2 inch then go for 45 to 70 foot pounds. And for 5/8 inch bolts use 100 to 120 foot pounds.

This is also from etrailer.
There should be enough free play in the shackles to allow them to move.
There is no specific torque rating for shackle bolts. The first thing you should make sure of is that the bolts you use are long enough so that when installed you will have at least 2 threads protruding from the nut.

Next, make sure that the nut you are using is a locking nut, so that it cannot work loose and fall off.
If the bolt you are using has knurls at the bolt head you will want to tighten the bolt down until the knurls go through the shackle link or spring/equalizer hanger and the bolt head is flush. Then, back off the nut just a bit so that all of the components are pulled together but not so tight they cannot move.

Peace
Dave

Last edited:

jhardin

If you have the CRE 3000 (that's what I have) I went to their spec chart and torqued mine at 40 ft. Lbs.
c7fe7fbdc57c1f05b3872825204f5fa4.jpg

jhardin

Wow that pic didn't show up very good. I'll try again
43cd720877d3c9ac9d7b78760b8e5088.jpg