checking lp gas level?

brianharrison

I have the Auto change over valve on my DS. The indicator for the tank on the DS has always read true as to the fullness of that tank, the indicator has never worked well for the tank on the ODS. Usually reads 1/2 to 3/4 full when new refilled tank installed and quickly indicates empty even when frost/condensation line indicates 1/2 full. My question is, why is there a pressure valve in the line from the ODS but not one on the DS line? Does this reduction of pressure in the ODS affect the indicator?

There should be a pressure regulator (red in color) on one side (mine is on the DS) that reduces to 30 psi and then into the regular built into the switch over valve (mine is on the ODS) that reduces to about 11" water column (WC), what the end devices need the gas regulated to....

Not sure what code or exact reason for the high pressure (red) regulator, but it may be for code or design conditions - ie hose/pipe across the unit to the ODS.

Brian

danemayer

There should be a pressure regulator (red in color) on one side (mine is on the DS) that reduces to 30 psi and then into the regular built into the switch over valve (mine is on the ODS) that reduces to about 11" water column (WC), what the end devices need the gas regulated to....

Not sure what code or exact reason for the high pressure (red) regulator, but it may be for code or design conditions - ie hose/pipe across the unit to the ODS.

Brian

If you didn't have the high pressure (red) regulator on the doorside, you'd have a high pressure propane line running under your bedroom and I believe the crossover hose would have to be much more expensive, or perhaps iron pipe.

danemayer

Thanks for the explanation Dan, but does this reduced pressure affect the gauge reading?

Lou, if this is the red indicator on the auto-changeover regulator, the fact that one side is high pressure and the other is low pressure could account for a difference. But I'm not sure how sophisticated those indicator are anyway. If I had better color vision, I might try to use them. Instead I run with one tank open and the other closed. In cold weather, (when I don't want to run out of propane in the middle of the night) I'll loosen the clamp on the open tank and lift it a bit to see how heavy it feels. When it starts to feel "light" I switch tanks and get that one filled. My tanks are 32 lbs empty and 72 lbs full. When it gets down to about 40lbs it feels pretty light to me. I also know that in very cold weather, a 40 lb tank will give me about 3 to 3-1/2 days. On the 3rd day if in doubt, I switch over just to be safe.

shelsay

We bought a truma several months ago, and Dave says it works really well. We got it from Safari RV in Redding, CA.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The time that I think the tank swap is a good deal is if you realize that your tanks are coming near the end of there certified life. Most fill stations do check the date stamp and will not do a fill if the tank certification has expired. There are propane dealers that will pressure test the tank for you; I'm not sure of the cost, but I'd be willing to bet that you could buy a new tank for only an incremental cost over re-certifying a tank.

My propane dealer charges $5 to recertify a tank for an additional 5 years. I only would swap tanks if I have a really rusty or leaky tank. Too many of the swap tanks leak and are usually just repainted to look nice. With a swapped tank, may only get a couple of years more of a certified life and potentially more problems with the valves.

porthole

Retired
I weigh the tanks every spring and mark the weight on a piece of tape.
We use the right side tank all the time as that is where my grill connection is.
If we run the tank dry, I swap out the left side for the right side and then get it filled.

I use a spreadsheet, which a copy of is on my phone that gives me the tank level based on weight.

Tanks are typically only filled to 80% capacity to allow room for the liquid to off gas.
Your filling station - make sure they are filling your 30 and 40 pound tanks with the scale set for a 30 or 40 pound tank.
I have seen 30 pound tanks get filled at the BBQ level (20)

Make sure they have adjusted for the weight of the fill valve.
On my tanks, right at the top I have marked on tape what a "full" (at 80%) tank should weigh.
My local hardware store has more then once adjusted the fill to give me a properly filled tank after seeing an sometimes commenting on that weight.

TXTiger

$69.00 seems a little pricy for a battery operated gismo when you can measure with hot water, weight or other methods. But that is the price we pay for convenience.

pegmikef

$69.00 seems a little pricy for a battery operated gismo when you can measure with hot water, weight or other methods. But that is the price we pay for convenience.

I just bought one at http://elwellcorp.com/shop.html for $69.00 after looking on ebay and seeing that they were a hundred plus dollars and a lot of places were 80 to 90. It may be somewhat pricey, but I like easy. I have five or six bottles I have to keep track of and this looks like just the ticket.

westxsrt10

Perfict Senior Member
Guess I got lucky, my entry level Sundance came with a colored level gage (green to red). Works great!

eddylives

I browsed through this level thread and was wondering if a laser pointer temperature device would work.
Is there a difference in temp at the fill level , the condensation line?
Just a thought I had lol......I have only used my laser gauge to run the dog around the camp site lmao.
I seem to remember a stick on thermometer strip that would show the level , but have not noticed any for awhile around the shops.

caissiel

When vaporization happens by using propane then it will be cooler at the surface. But not if it is not vaporizing propane.
Most outside the tank indicators are gimmicks.
Nothing like the real pressure or float gages.
I prefer the swing valve indicator. Works every time and never ran out of propane.
If I use a tank every 3 days I check every 3 days and it again never fails.
When using that much propane I use at least 4 tanks. Its to much trouble only running to the store with one thank. I get 3 filled.

Been there done that many times at home, almost every fall and spring.

Sent from my LG-LS720 using Tapatalk

iawoody2

Guess I got lucky, my entry level Sundance came with a colored level gage (green to red). Works great!
My Sundance also has this, but the tank was on full red for 4days before actually running out. Thanks for all the replies, was just looking for a somewhat more reliable way of gaging volume.

Silverado23

Iowa Chapter Leaders
The most reliable way to check your tank is by weight. Most other methods require propane to be in use to have any accuracy. Temperature can be a factor too. You could have propane in your tanks but with low temperatures, not be able to use the propane in the tanks. I saw this scale from Gagetek that would not be too expensive and may be useful. http://gagetek.com/propane.htm It may be possible to use the scale while the tank is in place.

ICamel

I tried with my laser temp sensor and it did not provide any difference. Something about a metal painted surface. I even tried a line of black duct tape vertically on the tank which did not improve the results.
I browsed through this level thread and was wondering if a laser pointer temperature device would work.
Is there a difference in temp at the fill level , the condensation line?
Just a thought I had lol......I have only used my laser gauge to run the dog around the camp site lmao.
I seem to remember a stick on thermometer strip that would show the level , but have not noticed any for awhile around the shops.

I use the device called level check it's made by Truman it uses ultrasound to check the level of LP or any liquid in aluminum or steel tanks. Works great.