Checking the propane level in tanks

patrick1945

I have the OEM tanks in my new 3055RL and would like to know the level of fuel in each of the two tanks.

I remember watching my Dad pour hot water on the tanks to find out fuel levels.

Is that the best way to do it??

Freckles

Founding New York Chapter Leader-Retired
I have also watch my father do the same. You could add a gage or they also sell a strip that turns color which attachs to your tank !! I'm still sold on my dad's way !!

SmokeyBare

Hot water will tell you the liquid level... Listen to Your dad !! :)

Even the stick on gauges that you can buy from the Camping store... require hot water poured down the gauge to tell you the liquid level...

Best way could be to get the magic marker out on a Just filled Tank... and then when it's finally empty... mark that level.... a few well placed marker between should offer you a good guage of the tank.

Marv

KENNY COCHRAN

MCNEESE STATE COWBOYS #1
i have the oem tanks in my new 3055rl and would like to know the level of fuel in each of the two tanks.

I remember watching my dad pour hot water on the tanks to find out fuel levels.

Is that the best way to do it??

next time your tank is empty weigh it, then weigh it when full, write these weights on the tank. Take the tank off and weigh it to get an accurate reading of the tank. A little work, but beats the gauge you can put on it which i hear tells you the tank is empty in 10 minutes if you are out watching the gauge. Kenny

Ray LeTourneau

Senior Member - Past Moderator
I've never had any luck with the hot water method. In all the years we've had an rv with 2 bottles and an auto regulator I just wait for the tank to run out and switch the thingy and get the empty tank filled the same day or Monday if it's a weekend. If we're using the furnace a lot, I'll monitor the regulator daily. Otherwise I check it every few days. The ONLY time I've ever run completly out of LP is a few weeks after we picked up the Bighorn. We had already left Wisconsin. There is no way the dealer gave me full tanks like he said.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
What Ray said!!!

I've tried the hot water/stick on level trick with the backyard BBQ. All it told me was that the deck was now wet under the BBQ. And with our TT, I learned the hard way not to trust the auto-switch regulator. Sucked both tanks empty and never moved. Fortunately, I found a filling station that was open late that cold Sunday night.

I found some tank guages at Meijers that seem to work. With the TT, I only turned on one tank and monitored the guage. When it read low, I switched manually.

Gauges are pretty easy to come by. I just picked up two of them at Sam's club. They are the GasWatch propane level indicator& safety device. They are nice because the gauge itself acts as a purgeing device. It also has a built in leak detector, so they will auto shutoff in case of a major leak or fire. They beat the hope and pray I have propane method. My old auto regulator did more use in the trash than it did on the tt. These should also help you avoid unnecessary cylinder exchange or refill. I got them for about $20 a pop.

JohnDar

Gauges are pretty easy to come by. I just picked up two of them at Sam's club. They are the GasWatch propane level indicator& safety device. They are nice because the gauge itself acts as a purgeing device. It also has a built in leak detector, so they will auto shutoff in case of a major leak or fire. They beat the hope and pray I have propane method. My old auto regulator did more use in the trash than it did on the tt. These should also help you avoid unnecessary cylinder exchange or refill. I got them for about $20 a pop.

I believe those are the same ones I got at Meijers.

TXBobcat

Fulltime
I am sorta like Ray.
I have an auto transfer regulator thingy... I ran out of propane one day and went to check it out and both bottles were empty. Was not happy. It always happens late in the evening. So, I now turn off one bottle and turn the other one on when I park. When DW hollers "Stove won't lite" I go out and check the bottle. If it is red I turn the valve and turn the other bottle on. Now I can go fill up the empty one and DW is happy again.

Works every time. Havn't been without propane since. If it works don't change it.

BC

jmgratz

Original Owners Club Member
I use the one tank at a time method. Even though I have the auto switch over device I only open one tank. Then when it runs out I open the other tank and within a day or two fill the empty one. That way I always have a full in reserve. I have never been able to find a reliable measuring device. I wish they could make the tanks see through. Hey there is an invention in waiting for some enterprising person.

Delaine and Lindy

We have twin 40 lb tanks and when we go for long stays I have another 40 lb tank I will carry along. I then open both valves and when they run out I mount the extra tank and fill the other two. We always run out of propane at night and with the extra tank we do fine. Our 4 month trip this past winter we use two tanks. And we cook everyday and heat with the propane. GBY....

Larryheadhunter

X-Rookies Still Luving it
Story of my life. All you mechanical and electrical experts should appreciate the gifts you have. I have lived my life depending on the experts to advise me as I am a novice, but learning all the time to improve those skills. I would be lost without u fellows. God bless the tech wizards.
Next. I have a baby Weber grill and a small 2 1/2 lb or 5 lb propane tank. Do I need a special extention and a "y" connector to make that size propane tank work with my grill? Those little blue and green propane tanks are good for emergencies, but on my long summer trip I wanna use the larger propane tank. What's one to do?

JohnDar

Story of my life. All you mechanical and electrical experts should appreciate the gifts you have. I have lived my life depending on the experts to advise me as I am a novice, but learning all the time to improve those skills. I would be lost without u fellows. God bless the tech wizards.
Next. I have a baby Weber grill and a small 2 1/2 lb or 5 lb propane tank. Do I need a special extention and a "y" connector to make that size propane tank work with my grill? Those little blue and green propane tanks are good for emergencies, but on my long summer trip I wanna use the larger propane tank. What's one to do?

At the CG we stay at there is a regular with a motorhome that connects a 20 lb tank to his Weber Q grill. I've got the Baby Q, which is essentially the same, just smaller cooking area. I keep meaning to try it here at home. I have a hose for a Mr.Buddy heater to connect it to a 20lb tank, so I'll give it a try. Worse case is the flames shoot up past the grill. I have a small expansion device that the heater needed for the 20lb, so might need to add that in line. I'll let you know if I can get to it today.