chirping noise - smoke detector?

herefishy

While packing for first trip after winter, I noticed a chirping that seemed to come from the smoke detector, but when I checked, there was no place for batteries, and it appears to be hardwired into the battery. Do they do that? The sound comes about every minute and doesn't sound like an alarm, rather a malfunction.

Loren1227

My expierance with this happening is that your battery needs to be charged. Plug into shore power and leave plugged in for 24 hours. You say that you are packing for your first trip. Do you want to start cooling your refrigerator down ?

Ducky

Had that happen to me earlier as well, there should be a battery compartment in the detectors for a 9v battery.

I know some are hardwired and some are battery. Smoke detectors don't like dampness and dust. Try vacuaming or blow out with air. Also they have a life of about 6 years.Maybe there is a date a date on them.Household ones have dates inside or or backside.

I swaped out the ones in our trailer with co and smoke detection. Rear bunk area came from factory without any,And that is where furnace and water heater is under bottom bunk. Cheap insurance to save the kids life.

herefishy

Well, got DH to sit and listen for it, and found the old, battery powered detector sitting in a cabinet, not the hardwired one at all. So thanks for getting all your thinking caps on, maybe the power of you all made him hear where it was coming from.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
What you are calling a hard wired smoke detector may be your LP gas detector.
And just like at your stick and brick home it is important to have a working smoke detector.

Peace
Dave

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Unless they’ve really changed things, all of the smoke and CO detectors in your rig should be removeable battery powered only. Granted, there are newer ones out there with a “10 year” battery in them, but not hard wired.

Since we store ours over the winter, I pull all the batteries out and put fresh ones in each spring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scottmil

Hi all, this will sound like a stupid question but where is the smoke detector? We have a 2020 Sundance Lite 242RK. At random times something beeps 8 times, 9 times. It sounds like it is near the AC vent near the kitchen stove. I think my husband took the unit down, in the picture attached, there are a couple of screws in the ceiling between the WiFi and an AC vent but I don't know what was there.
If anyone knows where this smoke detector is and how to get to it I will be extremely grateful -- pictures are welcome.
Kind regards and thanks in advance.
Stay safe,
Mil

Attachments

• 2020 HL Sundance Lite 242RK .jpg
    2020 HL Sundance Lite 242RK .jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 24

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Smoke detectors are usually ceiling mounted. Some are combo units, detecting both smoke and carbon monoxide. A CO only detector is usually mounted closer to the floor or near gas appliances. The other beeping detector in a RV is the propane leak detector which is usually near the floor on an outer wall, possibly with furniture in front of it.
What is that device still on the ceiling in your photo?

carl.swoyer

Mine was chirping(lp detector near the floor) and it has a shelf life. ( 7 years?)I replaced it with a new one and no more chirping.
I have a 2012 Landmark Rushmore.

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

scottmil

Smoke detectors are usually ceiling mounted. Some are combo units, detecting both smoke and carbon monoxide. A CO only detector is usually mounted closer to the floor or near gas appliances. The other beeping detector in a RV is the propane leak detector which is usually near the floor on an outer wall, possibly with furniture in front of it.
What is that device still on the ceiling in your photo?

Hi JohnDar,
The other ceiling mounted gizmo is for the WiFi.
It chirps at random times - day or night - windows open or AC on - sometimes it chirps 5 times, 8 times or 11 times. Sounds like its in the ceiling and maybe need to remove the 18" square AC Vent but it is a mystery.
It would be great if the Heartland Owners Manuals told you where the smoke/co/lp detectors were by model. Well relying on the good folks out in RV land is a great option.
Thanks, safe travels,
ScottMil

scottmil

Hello, as everyone has suggested, it was the CO and Propane Alarm that was the culprit of the chirping. It is located by the stove and near the electrical circuit breaker panel. I've attached a picture. This is in a 2020 Sundance 242RK.

Happy and safe trails,
Mil

Attachments

• RV CO and Propane Alarm Sundance 242RK.jpg
    RV CO and Propane Alarm Sundance 242RK.jpg
    477.8 KB · Views: 9