Close call

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
I had just laid down in bed for the night, last night, when just about every fire apparatus in our town went by the house. This morning I get a call from the owner of the storage lot where we park or rig. The BBQ trailer next to us caught fire. Luckily the trailer kept the fire fairly contained and we do not even appear to have any heat damage. We do however have soot and discoloration all the way down the side of our rig as well as on the roof. Most of our rig is also covered in grease. Any suggestions on how to get rid of this discoloration and/or cleaning recommendations? Anything we should look for?

Fire 1.JPG

Fire.JPG

Fire 2.JPG

LBR

I wouldn't do a thing except look it over carefully until his insurance adjuster evaluates it....you possibly could have delamination later from this, so a longer term clause in the adjustment would help you sleep better.

NWILSON

Kentucky Chapter Leaders - retired
I'd have to wonder about the foam insulation in your walls depending on how hot they got. I'd push for his insurance to pay for a trip to Elkhart for a factory assessment.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I agree, maybe even call your insurance company to take a look.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wdk450

Let both insurance companies co-ordinate what needs to be done. Also, there are specialized clean-up companies (like Sevicemaster) that specialize in post fire cleanup and repairs (often arranging sub-contractor companies to repair physical damages).

avvidclif

Should at least have liability coverage even if you don't care about replacement.

Safe Travels,

Roger

Why, my trailers, not rvs, are covered by the liability on the towing vehicle when being towed. If sitting, nothing. If I called my insurance agent and told her I wanted insurance for my farm trailer she would order to funny wagon to pick me up.

wdk450

Why, my trailers, not rvs, are covered by the liability on the towing vehicle when being towed. If sitting, nothing. If I called my insurance agent and told her I wanted insurance for my farm trailer she would order to funny wagon to pick me up.

I thought that EVERY state REQUIRES public liability insurance on every vehicle.

danemayer

I thought that EVERY state REQUIRES public liability insurance on every vehicle.

I can't speak for every state, but in Texas and Colorado, the tow vehicle's liability policy covers the liability of the combination of tow vehicle and trailer. So if I change lanes and the trailer hits the car in the next lane, my tow vehicle liability policy covers the damage.

The trailer policy is collision, comprehensive, and a little vacation liability in case someone hits their head on the pinbox while the trailer is parked on the campground site.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I can't speak for every state, but in Texas and Colorado, the tow vehicle's liability policy covers the liability of the combination of tow vehicle and trailer. So if I change lanes and the trailer hits the car in the next lane, my tow vehicle liability policy covers the damage.

The trailer policy is collision, comprehensive, and a little vacation liability in case someone hits their head on the pinbox while the trailer is parked on the campground site.

And if it's financed, you have to have a trailer policy before it leaves the dealer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LBR

How many people carry insurance on a portable BBQ pit????
Hopefully everyone of them that burn ribs for an income do....otherwise known as a legitimate business.

How many people carry insurance on a legitimate business????

Gary521

Take lots of pictures, you could have a property loss on your taxes. Need to check with your tax person.

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Thank you to everyone who commented. They had their trailer insured. I met the adjuster on Friday and they are going to cover our trailer. During her inspection she showed me where the embers had burned pits in our paint. Goes into our dealer for repairs tomorrow. The BBQ trailer was designed to hold up to temps @ 1100 degrees. It appears their trailer did its job.

LBR

Thank you to everyone who commented. They had their trailer insured. I met the adjuster on Friday and they are going to cover our trailer. During her inspection she showed me where the embers had burned pits in our paint. Goes into our dealer for repairs tomorrow. The BBQ trailer was designed to hold up to temps @ 1100 degrees. It appears their trailer did its job.
Thanx for the update! Yes, by looking at the tailgate of the BBQ trailer, it did a great job containing it's fire.

You have to feel good that the adjuster pointed out the ember specks to you rather that you having to prompt the issue....sounds like a very concerned adjuster. FYI, I still am concerned about future delamination to your wall and hope the repair company makes sure it's OK once they get into the project....good luck!

Shortest Straw

Caught In A Mosh
Thanx for the update! Yes, by looking at the tailgate of the BBQ trailer, it did a great job containing it's fire.

You have to feel good that the adjuster pointed out the ember specks to you rather that you having to prompt the issue....sounds like a very concerned adjuster. FYI, I still am concerned about future delamination to your wall and hope the repair company makes sure it's OK once they get into the project....good luck!

I do feel good about that. Please explain the delamination concerns you have.

Sent from my PU-36 Explosive Space Modulator.