Coax Cable problems with Satellite and Cable TV Systems

pegmikef

If your trailer model has one or more TVs mounted in the slides (including an exterior TV in the slide) and you are havng problems getting a good picture in them, we have found one of the causes. In the last three weeks we have found the same problem in two Landmarks and one Big Country. Underneath the slide where the cable goes through the frame to under the corroplast, we have found there is a connector and in all three cases it has not been properly connected to the other cable. You can check this by gently pulling the cable through the frame. If you are lucky, the other cable will be lightly connected and you can pull it out and tighten the connector. If it comes apart, then you will have to remove about 4 bolts from the corroplast to allow you to retrieve the other cable. Tighten the connectors and return the cable, check the tv and if ok replace the bolts in the corroplast.

I am not saying this is the solution to you problem, but it is another place to check in your trouble shooting. Three instances out of maybe thirty rigs is a ten percent failure rate.

wdk450

I actually had a bad section of cable in the wall...had to pull new coax to fix it.

I kept having problems with my Dish receiver using the connection from the UDC to the front entertainment center where the receiver is. I finally started running the cable from the dish antenna DIRECTLY to the receiver going through the window nearby. No more Dish receiver problems.

SNOKING

Every coax screw on connector in one trailer need to be tighten. The workers at the factory fail to tighten the connectors correctly. HD TV in particular needs to have connectors tighten down for a good signal from the LNB and power to it reach it. Chris

pegmikef

I kept having problems with my Dish receiver using the connection from the UDC to the front entertainment center where the receiver is. I finally started running the cable from the dish antenna DIRECTLY to the receiver going through the window nearby. No more Dish receiver problems.

Bill, Two of the three rigs we found the problem in did exactly the same thing, one for a year or longer. One of our guys here at the Alpine Rally, checked the cable I described and found the problem. Now they are both using their UDC port. The third rig had the problem with his outside TV.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
One other thing to check that I have found on a few rigs is that sometimes there is a stray strand of the shielding wine wrapped around the center traveler.
Removed that strand and all was good.

Peace
Dave

CDN

B and B
With Satellite reception issues the quality of Coax often has an impact. I have found using a higher end coax, quad shield, results is better signal strength and less issues. There is nothing better than a good connector as well, any of the screw on types do not work very well.

crussian

Hello All, IF I decide to upgrade the coax cables, do I have to be concerned about the cables being tied to cross members or anchored along the path? I have to problem pulling cables, but before I make the jump to do it, I need to make sure that I can freely pull the cables from origin to destination.

Thanks in advance.

C&J

oldelmer1

Why on earth do they put a coupling inside the frame like that to begin with?

I had the same issue on my 2016 Landmark Orlando, and all the shielding was cut off on all of my connectors. So I replaced them all.

travlingman

Checked mine today and sure enough, pulled on cable where it goes into underbelly from outdoor TV in slide, and cable pulled out not connected to anything. Dropped coroplast and hooked back up, checked other side and it was together. I figure the reason for the spliced cable is they lay a cable in the frame and then one and in slides and then hook together. Easier way to assemble.

I have been having trouble with only antenna channels working on outside TV, cable channels not. I am hoping where I had this loose connection that the cable feed will work now.

Thanks for the heads up.