coaxial confusion

uncledon

Her chauffeur
So I've looked over the PDF's and the owners manual already, but still think something is not right...

Tried to program channels on the living room TV without success. No channels received. Checked all the accessible cable connections to insure they were tight. Tried again. Same result.

Went to the bedroom TV and it programmed just fine.

Went to the coaxial connection plate with amplifier button that has (2) connectors. This is located in the front closet of my 3875 FB. Jumper cable goes from top connector to the white plate next to it with the coaxial/HDMI connector. I thought this white plate fed the bedroom TV. Disconnected the jumper from the top connector on the amplifier plate and connected to the bottom connector.

Living room TV now programs fine, but signal lost to bedroom when I did this. Seems like I need a splitter to make it work, but that just doesn't seem right to me? Almost seems like the antenna is wired into the back of the white plate and then depending on where the jumper is connected, you get one TV or the other???

Anyone make heads or tails for this jibberish? Thx.

danemayer

The usual arrangement is that on the two coax connector wall plate in the bedroom closet, the bedroom satellite is on one connector and the cable/antenna on the other. You jumper one or the other to the single coax connector wall plate which goes to the TV.

The cable coax in the UDC goes to the signal booster where it meets the antenna coax. The output of the signal booster comes out on that two coax connector wall plate in the closet. The cable/antenna signal usually goes from there to the basement TV, and from there to the living room.

Someone (maybe you), posted earlier about solving a satellite connection problem and mentioned using the splitter by the basement TV. If that was you, I think you may have hijacked the cable/antenna coax line for satellite.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
The usual arrangement is that on the two coax connector wall plate in the bedroom closet, the bedroom satellite is on one connector and the cable/antenna on the other. You jumper one or the other to the single coax connector wall plate which goes to the TV.

The cable coax in the UDC goes to the signal booster where it meets the antenna coax. The output of the signal booster comes out on that two coax connector wall plate in the closet. The cable/antenna signal usually goes from there to the basement TV, and from there to the living room.

Someone (maybe you), posted earlier about solving a satellite connection problem and mentioned using the splitter by the basement TV. If that was you, I think you may have hijacked the cable/antenna coax line for satellite.
No that wasn't me Dan, but I do remember that post as well. I'll dig a bit more as I agree with your description of how it should be wired. Just seems like somethings backwards to me. Thx.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

SNOKING

I think maybe you have the LR on the wrong coax. The amp should have a input and connection for second TV along with cable input on the back. So second TV comes off the back of amp, and should go to LR TV. I think you are feeding it on the lead for sat when you move the jumper. Is there a sat jumper in the UDC? Chris

uncledon

Her chauffeur
I think maybe you have the LR on the wrong coax. The amp should have a input and connection for second TV along with cable input on the back. So second TV comes off the back of amp, and should go to LR TV. I think you are feeding it on the lead for sat when you move the jumper. Is there a sat jumper in the UDC? Chris
That was going to be my next move to pull the amp and see what's going on at the back. No jumpers in UDC, only the one from amp plate to white plate next to it that I had to move to get LR reception.

SNOKING

That was going to be my next move to pull the amp and see what's going on at the back. No jumpers in UDC, only the one from amp plate to white plate next to it that I had to move to get LR reception.

Then that lower cable that makes the LR TV work needs to be moved to the second TV output on the back of the AMP.

Coax and it's connections seems to be Heartland Achilles heal. Chris

uncledon

Her chauffeur
Then that lower cable that makes the LR TV work needs to be moved to the second TV output on the back of the AMP.

Coax and it's connections seems to be Heartland Achilles heal. Chris
Thumbs up!

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Our Prowler coax wires were installed completely backwards all the way from the cable connection on the outside to the TV in the living room.

Once that got figured out . . . then we still were not getting cable signal to the living room.

Turned out that the Furrion AM/FM/CD/DVD stereo antenna was connected to a coax splitter inside the entertainment cabinet and was shorting out the cable signal.

uncledon

Her chauffeur
So I pulled the amplifier after disconnecting the jumper between it and the adjacent coaxial/HDMI plate. All looked as it should (see pic). I made sure all connections were tight. I put jumper back the way it came from factory on the upper connector of the amp.

I then went to the entertain center in the LR and found the coaxial splitter inside the upper cupboard over the TV. I made sure all connections were correct and tight (see pic).

Turned on both TV'S and did auto channel search. All worked fine??? I DON'T DO DRUGS!
285230991737c7213b9f34d744d884b2.jpg
1427b71fc0c54e07b37c2aff5280775c.jpg
e264a96c263246fe50fec4e5ff78fc85.jpg

SNOKING

Well that white cable that appears to be a pass thru on the Amp plate might be from the Sat in from the UDC for BR TV.

That is how ours in wired.

Chris

Attachments

• Sat cable.jpg
    Sat cable.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 41
I have a 2017 Bighorn 3270 with similar problems. Is there supposed to a amplifier for the off air antenna. My other rv had a switch to turn it on and off, I don’t see one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
I have a 2017 Bighorn 3270 with similar problems. Is there supposed to a amplifier for the off air antenna. My other rv had a switch to turn it on and off, I don’t see one.

What antenna do you have?

The amp button might be on the inside base of the antenna instead of on the wall plate where the TV connects.

However, some of the older Bighorns had the switch on the wall in the bedroom closet as I recall . . .

The amp button might be on the inside base of the antenna instead of on the wall plate where the TV connects.

However, some of the older Bighorns had the switch on the wall in the bedroom closet as I recall . . .

I have a King Jack antenna and it only rotates does not go up or down. No switches on the base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

farside291

I have the 2015 BC 3950FB with the front bath. The coax jumper in the bedroom closet is only to put Satellite or park cable/OTA in the Bedroom (you can't have both simultaneously. The Living room in my BC has separate cables for park cable/OTA signals and satellite. I keep both cables connected to my TV in the Living room to watch either Satellite from the HDMI or park cable/OTA on the coax just by changing inputs on TV. The coax for the satellite in the living room is a different color in my BC.

Garypowell

I'd hate to count the number of times in my life when Linda would ask me, "How did you fix it?", and I would reply, "I took it apart, found nothing wrong, and put it back together!"

obviosly we all want to know why......but sometimes it just does not work that way.

SNOKING

Maybe front baths are different. However most others have you place the sat box in the closet and a HDMI cable is provided to get the sat signal across the bedroom to the TV. I was a little confused on this in the beginning. But in the picture you can see the sat cable coming from the UDC and passing thru on the lower connection of the amp and the HDMI and cable/OTA cables connected to a plate to the right of the amp that sends them across the bedroom. So it is fully functional and the TV input selects the source. Maybe you just over looked and installed HDMI up there? The DTV box and remote are set to RF and not IR, so it works with the closet door closed.

Chris

Attachments

• Sat cable.jpg
    Sat cable.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 36

CoveredWagon

However, some of the older Bighorns had the switch on the wall in the bedroom closet as I recall . .

Older **** 😒Lol my 2018 has the amplifier in the front closet on the front wall just below the safe. It's just a teny tiny button.