Cold Bedroom Floor

JanAndBill

For some reason our bedroom floor (front) stays cold. Even if you turn the heat up the upper air is warm but the floor radiates cold. Any one else run into this or have a solution?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
If your floor seems to radiate cold air it might just be an air leak in that room such as around a slide or window.

Peace
Dave

rxbristol

Ours is like that too. I think it's because there is less of an air gap between the floor and the outside. I know that when we re-did the carpet on the slides I laid down the silver/bubble insulation as a pad and our slide floors are 500% warmer.

jbeletti

The upper deck of most 5th wheels are above relatively unconditioned storage space. Then the front most portion of the upper deck is above the overhang. While the floor is well insulated, by being over the unconditioned space, my experience is that it will be colder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

JanAndBill

The upper deck of most 5th wheels are above relatively unconditioned storage space. Then the front most portion of the upper deck is above the overhang. While the floor is well insulated, by being over the unconditioned space, my experience is that it will be colder.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Jim, is the decking used here different from the rest of the coach. I assumed it was a laminated panel with insulation board in between, but based on how quickly it radiates cold, I'm beginning to wonder.

jbeletti

Yes, the upper deck is the same floor and lamination process as the lower deck.

It changes however at the overhang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ncc1701e

The wife has complained from day one about the temp of the bedroom. So every season my to do list includes working on newly identified air leaks. The first thing i did was to go into the front compartment and custom fit blocks of 6" thick foam for every place that could accept insulation. In the closet, I took down the corner cuts and filled those areas with foam. The propane compartment basically only had a thin sheet metal wall between the basement and the compartment. It is now an insulated wall. Left the propane compartment open on the bottom for safety. Working now to seal around the plumbing to cut down on air leaks. The spray foam used originally has deteriated some. The one leak i do not have a great idea on how to solve yet is the front seal on the slide. The slide is actually physically not centered in the opening. It is not an adjustment issue. Thus the seal barely touches on the front side.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
The one leak i do not have a great idea on how to solve yet is the front seal on the slide. The slide is actually physically not centered in the opening. It is not an adjustment issue. Thus the seal barely touches on the front side.

We too had some air coming in around our BR slide especially on windy days and nights. I bought some of the long pieces of foam pipe insulation, split them in half long ways and using duck tape added them to the inside of the BR slide opening. When the slide is opened these compress and add additional material to the seal.
3fc16019b9f69f0b38e3cc75205f989c.jpg

Also just the same as putting a light bulb in the crawl space to protect water lines go to Tractor Supply or other farm store and get a brooder lamp (used to provide heat for young chicks). Put it in the basement. Even with a 100w lamp you'd be surprised how much heat is produced. Think of it as radiant floor heating.

Bob&Patty

Founders of SoCal Chapter
I put 2" foam board under the BR in the basement. You have to remove the basement ceiling to do this. Put it between the aluminum floor structure. Made a big difference in our Horn.

JanAndBill

Yes, the upper deck is the same floor and lamination process as the lower deck.

It changes however at the overhang.

So is the floor over the overhang just a metal plate? That's what it feels like in cold temps.

jbeletti

So is the floor over the overhang just a metal plate? That's what it feels like in cold temps.

I'm actually not sure how the closet floor (overhand area) is built up. Fairly certain there's some sort of floor/build-up/insulation there but unsure what it is. I know there's not a heated or enclosed space below it - that's the point I was making.

JanAndBill

There is a raised floor in the closet that appears to be wood. Actually the floor there is warmer, as is the floor over the basement. It's the overhang that seems to radiate the cold. Not quite sure how it could be insulated.

Sent from my XT1030 using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Heartland replaced our filon under the front overhang during the frame flex repair. If I stand with my head inside the front storage compartment, looking toward the kingpin, there is about a 2" gap between the filon as it curves and the structure of the front overhang. I've thought about trying to slide some 1" thick insulation board in there, but not sure if there are wires, etc. that might hinder it.

BudnDonna

Travel tiger. .. if you have a newer style stud finder it may have the ability to check for electric wires behind your wall.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

JohnD

Moved on to the next thing...
Travel tiger. .. if you have a newer style stud finder it may have the ability to check for electric wires behind your wall.

I can't use a stud finder . . .

Every time I have one in my hands and turn it on . . . it goes off! :rolleyes:

DOH!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

It's not the wall. It's the floor under the overhang. IMG_9779_.jpg standing outside, with this basement door open, stepping back so that my head is inside the basement space looking towards the king pin, there is a space (perpendicular to the arrow) that one could possibly slide some foam boards.

Attachments

• IMG_9779.jpg
    IMG_9779.jpg
    93 KB · Views: 58

JanAndBill

Heartland replaced our filon under the front overhang during the frame flex repair. If I stand with my head inside the front storage compartment, looking toward the kingpin, there is about a 2" gap between the filon as it curves and the structure of the front overhang. I've thought about trying to slide some 1" thick insulation board in there, but not sure if there are wires, etc. that might hinder it.

You know I've never thought to look there, primarily because you'd have to bend in ways my old body doesn't go, but now that you've piqued my curiosity, I'll have to figure out a way to look. I'm wondering if I could blow fiberglass in the space.