Considering a Heartland Mallard Pathfinder 16SRD

Shelena

Hi. I own the same model trailer, P16SRD. Have had it for almost 2 months. I like it, the shower area does take up a large space which leaves the walk area too small for 2 people to pass easily. I replaced the bed as the original was hard as a rock, also the bed is not the easiest to make as it is enclosed on 3 sides and part of the third. My work around is to not bother with fitted sheets like at home. I have 2 comforters I spread over it, 1 for bottom and 1 for top.

I like the ease with which it tows, the size is good for me. Dislikes are poor response from Camping World and Heartland on issues that have arose during this time such as "Check" light on my fridge comes on almost daily when not on shore power, have to reset it; salesman told me the inverter powered all my sockets, it does not, only powers the USB ports. So I am struggling to get an appointment with Camping World to get all my concerns addressed.

Suggestion: Go over it with the salesperson, write questions, go home, write more and go back armed cause once you buy it they barely give you the time of day.

Hi. I own the same model trailer, P16SRD. Have had it for almost 2 months. I like it, the shower area does take up a large space which leaves the walk area too small for 2 people to pass easily. I replaced the bed as the original was hard as a rock, also the bed is not the easiest to make as it is enclosed on 3 sides and part of the third. My work around is to not bother with fitted sheets like at home. I have 2 comforters I spread over it, 1 for bottom and 1 for top.

I like the ease with which it tows, the size is good for me. Dislikes are poor response from Camping World and Heartland on issues that have arose during this time such as "Check" light on my fridge comes on almost daily when not on shore power, have to reset it; salesman told me the inverter powered all my sockets, it does not, only powers the USB ports. So I am struggling to get an appointment with Camping World to get all my concerns addressed.

Suggestion: Go over it with the salesperson, write questions, go home, write more and go back armed cause once you buy it they barely give you the time of day.
Thanks for your post and information Shelena. We decided to purchase a Mallard Pathfinder 16srd and hope we are not disappointed. We too are purchasing from Camping World, so that makes me nervous if we have issues with it. We pick it up next weekend so at your suggestion, we have all of our questions and concerns written down and ready for them.

Twnorman

Hi Jill,
I've had the P16SRD since June/July and been out twice in it.
I took it on it's inaugural trip to Oshkosh Wisconsin for the EAA Air Venture, the battery hadn't gotten below 50% which is awesome with not being hooked to any sort of power. Then for deer hunting, my buddy and I took it to deer camp on public land, where I hooked up the generator since I needed the 110v to work for his CPAP machine. Again, it worked really well.
What I would recommend is make sure you ask about the inverter system as that's been the biggest challenge with the trailer.
The trailer, without inverter works great just on DC power.
My wife and I purchased this trailer so I can take it on the road when I attend a formal school as opposed to spending a couple thousand a month in an apartment, when the military will pay the $500/month to "camp" at the camping spot on base. For me, the trailer is perfect. The size is just right and has a full bathroom which I need.
I tow with a Tacoma and with weight distribution it tows well (except on really windy days). The trailer does have an enclosed under belly (except for the fresh water tank, but all have heat blankets on it, so that's good (and important).
For me, the biggest couple things about the trailer I didn't like or will be modifying:
1) Adding 110 outlet by the dinette so I can run my computer setup while I'm away from home. It's one of the biggest drawbacks of this trailer.
2) Debris everywhere. Under the cabinets, under the bed, in the cubbies
3) Gaps and holes in various places. These gaps are easily filled with expanding foam.
4) Plastic molded shower pulling away from wall next to door, need to remedy that.
5) Lack of knowledge of the electrical system
6) Documentation/electrical schematics/information manuals for the trailer itself
7) The dinette table first is garbage. Screws pulled out of the particleboard and the cups that held the pols in came out. And then found that the table is about 2" too narrow to span the benches to make a second bed. Definitely a fail here (but considering I'm going to be living alone in here, the glue for the pole caps should be fine and don't plan on dropping it down for a bed.)
I hope this helps.
Trevor

Hi Jill,
I took it on it's inaugural trip to Oshkosh Wisconsin for the EAA Air Venture, the battery hadn't gotten below 50% which is awesome with not being hooked to any sort of power. Then for deer hunting, my buddy and I took it to deer camp on public land, where I hooked up the generator since I needed the 110v to work for his CPAP machine. Again, it worked really well.
What I would recommend is make sure you ask about the inverter system as that's been the biggest challenge with the trailer.
My wife and I purchased this trailer so I can take it on the road when I attend a formal school as opposed to spending a couple thousand a month in an apartment, when the military will pay the $500/month to "camp" at the camping spot on base. For me, the trailer is perfect. The size is just right and has a full bathroom which I need.
I tow with a Tacoma and with weight distribution it tows well (except on really windy days). The trailer does have an enclosed under belly (except for the fresh water tank, but all have heat blankets on it, so that's good (and important).
For me, the biggest couple things about the trailer I didn't like or will be modifying:
1) Adding 110 outlet by the dinette so I can run my computer setup while I'm away from home. It's one of the biggest drawbacks of this trailer.
3) Gaps and holes in various places. These gaps are easily filled with expanding foam.
4) Plastic molded shower pulling away from wall next to door, need to remedy that.
6) Documentation/electrical schematics/information manuals for the trailer itself
7) The dinette table first is garbage. Screws pulled out of the particleboard and the cups that held the pols in came out. And then found that the table is about 2" too narrow to span the benches to make a second bed. Definitely a fail here (but considering I'm going to be living alone in here, the glue for the pole caps should be fine and don't plan on dropping it down for a bed.)
I hope this helps.
Trevor

Thanks for your reply Trevor. We just purchased ours so I don't know when we will be able to take it for a shakedown trip. I always wanted to go to Oshkosh for the Air Show. Maybe one day. I like your idea for adding a 110outlet by the dinette. I will add that to the list of mods for my husband. I'm hoping we like the trailer. We wanted to go smaller and my husband liked that it was 7ft. wide.

Hi Jill,
I hope this helps.
Trevor
Hi Trevor. I was wondering what kind of load leveling hitch you have for your p16srd and if you are happy with it? TIA Jill

We have the same model and love it. We did find out the only outlet powered by the inverter is the one by the bed and only when you hit the bottom on the main panel in the pass through storage area. I agree, the salesman don’t know much about the campers they sell and couldn’t answer many questions or give you wrong information. I’m fact, I have question I’m hoping you or someone here might be able to answer. Next to the bed, there is an outlet, then below that the two usb ports. Below that is an off/on toggle switch. We have absolutely no idea what this controls?! It’s driving me crazy. Lol I thought maybe it was for the tank heaters as we were told this camper has them. Can anyone answer that? Thanks for any input.