Considering a Landmark

aknavy

I'm considering two different Landmarks - a 2013 Key Largo in excellent condition, and a new 2016 Key West. The used on is around $xxk, fairly basic as far as options, and has full body paint. The 2016 has the Home, Travelers, and Full Timers package, as well as the axle/brake upgrade. This one is just under $xxk. I think both are good deals - but I welcome input on that. I've read alot about the quality of the Landmarks - does that still hold true? I'd welcome any advice or insight into the decision making process here.

Other units I'm interested in - DRV Tradition, Lifestyle Luxury, Excel, etc - all in this range, if that makes any difference in your comments/advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Garypowell

If I understand your math....it sounds like they are both about the same price. I don't care how "clean" a 2013 is....take the 2016 and RUN. Brand new with warranty and the chance to make it your own.

I realize the 2013 is clean.....but you don't know what is lurking under that clean exterior.

dlw930

I'm considering two different Landmarks - a 2013 Key Largo in excellent condition, and a new 2016 Key West. The used on is around $xxk, fairly basic as far as options, and has full body paint. The 2016 has the Home, Travelers, and Full Timers package, as well as the axle/brake upgrade. This one is just under $xxk. I think both are good deals - but I welcome input on that. I've read alot about the quality of the Landmarks - does that still hold true? I'd welcome any advice or insight into the decision making process here.

Other units I'm interested in - DRV Tradition, Lifestyle Luxury, Excel, etc - all in this range, if that makes any difference in your comments/advice.

We love our 2013 Key Largo which we bought preowned in excellent condition 2 years ago. We've lived in it full-time since Feb. 2016, pulling it about 14k miles since then. I think it has held up exceptionally well. Ours also has the full body paint which has held up well with at least annual waxing. Other campers often comment that it looks like a new rig.

As far as maintenance, I've had to replace a few of the slideout seals and recaulk places on the roof, although these were based on visual deterioration and not water infiltration. I also just replaced the original Goodyear 614 tires since they were nearing 5 years old, which is about the maximum recommended life for RV tires. If the tires on the 2013 Landmark you're considering still has the original tires (probably made sometime in 2012), the cost of replacement may be a consideration.

We've made a few relatively minor modifications, interior and exterior, the biggest being replacing the original dinette with a custom hardwood dinette/credenza/computer center. I also am upgrading to heavy duty (1/2") shackles and wet bolts. I've upgraded one side and was surprised that after traveling so many miles, the original shackles and bolts were worn very little.

I wish our Key Largo had the Independent suspension and disc brakes, but other than those, I can't think of anything I'd change.

Good luck with your decision, whichever route you choose to go!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

aknavy

If I understand your math....it sounds like they are both about the same price. I don't care how "clean" a 2013 is....take the 2016 and RUN. Brand new with warranty and the chance to make it your own.

I realize the 2013 is clean.....but you don't know what is lurking under that clean exterior.

I had the price in there, but didn't realize that was against the rules...bottom line is that they are roughly 30k apart, at the bottom of the pricing spectrum that I can find on the internet. By my math, the in three years I'll owe less on the 2016 than the 2013 is selling for, and it's better optioned....but the person inside of me that never bought a new vehicle until my tow rig I bought a couple years ago is screaming "buy used!", while I kinda want a new one if it's a good deal.

Those that have them - what are they weighing in at?

aknavy

We love our 2013 Key Largo which we bought preowned in excellent condition 2 years ago. We've lived in it full-time since Feb. 2016, pulling it about 14k miles since then. I think it has held up exceptionally well. Ours also has the full body paint which has held up well with at least annual waxing. Other campers often comment that it looks like a new rig.

As far as maintenance, I've had to replace a few of the slideout seals and recaulk places on the roof, although these were based on visual deterioration and not water infiltration. I also just replaced the original Goodyear 614 tires since they were nearing 5 years old, which is about the maximum recommended life for RV tires. If the tires on the 2013 Landmark you're considering still has the original tires (probably made sometime in 2012), the cost of replacement may be a consideration.

We've made a few relatively minor modifications, interior and exterior, the biggest being replacing the original dinette with a custom hardwood dinette/credenza/computer center. I also am upgrading to heavy duty (1/2") shackles and wet bolts. I've upgraded one side and was surprised that after traveling so many miles, the original shackles and bolts were worn very little.

I wish our Key Largo had the Independent suspension and disc brakes, but other than those, I can't think of anything I'd change.

Good luck with your decision, whichever route you choose to go!

Do you happen to have pictures of your upgraded dining table? The wife and I both telecommute, and this is going to be full time, so computer space is important....would like to see others solutions.

avvidclif

I had the price in there, but didn't realize that was against the rules...bottom line is that they are roughly 30k apart, at the bottom of the pricing spectrum that I can find on the internet. By my math, the in three years I'll owe less on the 2016 than the 2013 is selling for, and it's better optioned....but the person inside of me that never bought a new vehicle until my tow rig I bought a couple years ago is screaming "buy used!", while I kinda want a new one if it's a good deal.

Those that have them - what are they weighing in at?

If affordability is not a problem tell you inner voice to kiss off and treat yourself to a brand spanking new rv. You can't take it with you. Did you ever see an armored car following a hearse???

:rolleyes:

danemayer

The 2013 Landmark and the 2016 Landmark 365 are somewhat different products. For example, the LM365 has a Power Control System that manages power consumption, allowing 3 air conditioners (2 standard). It also comes with an induction cooktop, the straight roofline, energy-efficient paint, 8K axles and 17.5" Goodyear tires, generator prep, and many other improvements.

And the 2016 comes with a 2 year warranty. The 2013 comes with no warranty.

To me it's no contest - the Landmark 365 is a much better deal.

dlw930

Do you happen to have pictures of your upgraded dining table? The wife and I both telecommute, and this is going to be full time, so computer space is important....would like to see others solutions.

Here's the cabinetmaker's website: http://focalwood.com/desk_units.htm

The top three photos in the left column represent the style we got. Our color is darker since he matched the dark cherry stain in the original woodwork and cabinetry.

meagle

I have a 2014 Landmark. The first 1 1/2 years were a nightmare with multiple problems. I can say that I certainly used the warranty!!! Heartland was very good though in addressing the problems. For the last year it has been a good RV. Recently I've looked closely at the DRV Mobile Suites and the Augusta Luxe. I believe that both are excellent units and might be a better quality RV than the Landmark. There are trade offs though. The Augusta Luxe was recently close to insolvency and was purchased by another company. The jury is still out on their viability. The Mobile Suites is an extremely well built fifth wheel but is very expensive and had a lot features that I did not care for. If my Landmark continues to hold up I will probably purchase another Landmark. I believe that for the price they are an excellent choice when compared to other luxury fifth wheels. I would most certainly buy the new one with a full warranty.

jlsr

For the most part if it were me I would buy new to have the factory warranty , but if a used unit in excellent condition with the floor plan we want and must have options was available we would certainly buy used then buy an extended warranty.

We also have been considering an RV upgrade, looking at Landmark, Riverstone and Lifestyle.

Best wishes to you on your rv hunt.

dlw930

For the most part if it were me I would buy new to have the factory warranty , but if a used unit in excellent condition with the floor plan we want and must have options was available we would certainly buy used then buy an extended warranty. .

The latter is exactly what we did two years ago when we purchased our 2013. We immediately got an 5 yr extended warranty that also covers tires and wheels.

The only problem we've had that a factory warranty would have covered was the living room TV. We're now two years down the road and still have 3 years of extended warranty left. It should be noted that some items, wheels for example, have a lifetime warranty that only applies to the original owner.

I don't know what items, if any, the original owner had fixed under the factory warranty. It would be interesting to know how much frustration I avoided by buying used.

I agree that buying used might not be the best for everyone, but for us, it's worked out and saved us a considerable sum.

meagle

I understand and can certainly agree with your point. On my Landmark if I did not have my warranty I would have been out 10 to 20 thousand dollars due to extensive issues, e.g., slide floor, cabinets, and flooring having to be replaced due to Heartland factory problems. The other issue is that there have been some major improvements and upgrades on the new RV that is being considered versus the older one. Tires, axles, A/C, and other amenities have added or improved. In the end it is up to the buyer whether to purchase new or not. If you negotiate a price 30 to 32 percent off of the MSRP it will bring the cost down considerably on a new unit. Of course, if you find a private seller that really wants to move their RV you can get an excellent deal. You have to weigh the improvements on the new RV, cost of both, and then make the decision that is right for you.

avvidclif

All of the buy used people are depending on the original owner getting all the warranty items fixed. Maybe yes, maybe no. If you know they were taken care of and there are no new issues then used is a good deal. Most dealers won't tell you squat about who owned it or what was done.

ksucats

We happen to own a 2016 Key West and we love it. Warranty work has had to be done but Heartland has gone above and beyond in supporting not only the dealer but us as well in getting things fixed. A couple of things to note - and again, it depends on the floor plan that you prefer -- the center island does interfere with opening the freezer when the slides are closed -- I'm assuming the unit you are looking at is the side by side and not the french (bottom freezer) door model. Other than that we've found nothing that bothers us in using the coach - as I said some warranty items such as loose interior trim, seals on the slides not sealing tightly, etc. We have the 8K axles with disc brakes which are super.

Now, on the flip side - we had had no major problems with our SOB that we traded in. It was simply getting up in years (2006 model) but everything was working and we had been using it (we are not full timers though). The unit was, in our minds, very well maintained and taken care of. Apparently some one agreed as it was purchased days after we traded. The following week the new owners were out camping and the furnace went out. Nothing we would have expected.

So, regardless of how well maintained it is, something can (and probably will) break. Extended warranty for us is a must - we are risk averse in that matter so whether new or used, we do get extended warranties.

Best wishes on whichever you choose.

aknavy

Looks like I'll be going with the 2013. Doing an inspection this weekend - I know there are several PDI checklists, but is there anything specific to these models to look for or be aware of?

As far as warranties go - what's a reputable company for warranty, and what should I expect to pay?

aknavy

Well, I was going to buy the 2013. When I told the owner I'd buy it pending a full PDI, he balked. Seems like that's too much hassle. So now he wants me to wait until he shows it another time this week, then get back to me. Gonna have to say that kinda bothers me on multiple levels...First, you expect me to buy an RV without completely hooking it up and testing everything, and second, you want to put me, who made a full price offer, on the back burner while you try for an easier sale? As I type this, I'm getting more annoyed with it!

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
An educated consumer is the worst buyer, lol! Maybe they have some issues that won't be noticeable to the casual buyer?

I would be upset and suspicious, too!