Converted bathroom door to pivot door.

BopBop

20190605_144607.jpg20190621_105244.jpg20190621_105326.jpg20190621_105649.jpg

I converted the bathroom door to a pivot type door so we don't have to step down onto step to enter bathroom from bedroom. If anyone is interested I can share pics and construction details.

I purchased the parts from Heartland. They are Morryde parts. I used the existing door. I had to make the opening about 1 3/8" wider in order to not have to cut down the door. The height remained the same. I was able to buy pre finished trim that came very close to a perfect match.

I had to make the door opening wider on the latch side which meant moving the light switch an inch or two. There was plenty of room to do this.
If you look at the top you will see I had to make a small header for the track to mount to. There is an air duct right in the middle of the door opening so I just made a notch and went right over it.

One more thing. I was short a couple parts on the original order. Heartland decided to send me another complete set of hardware. I would let it go for less than it costs, plus shipping, if someone is interested.

If you have a little carpenter skill you will be ok.

Last edited:

crmfghtr

Great job. Looks like it came that way. We have the pivot door on the bathroom. Ours doesn't latch unless I put my foot under the door and lift it. How did you adjust the vertical height?

BopBop

There is no easy adjustment. You will have to move the strike plate (the one on the jamb that the plunger goes into) up enough to allow the plunger to operate. You may be able to take the plate off and file the bottom of the opening enough to get it to work.
Hope this helps.

i4110peter

View attachment 63264View attachment 63266View attachment 63267View attachment 63268

I converted the bathroom door to a pivot type door so we don't have to step down onto step to enter bathroom from bedroom. If anyone is interested I can share pics and construction details.

I purchased the parts from Heartland. They are Morryde parts. I used the existing door. I had to make the opening about 1 3/8" wider in order to not have to cut down the door. The height remained the same. I was able to buy pre finished trim that came very close to a perfect match.

I had to make the door opening wider on the latch side which meant moving the light switch an inch or two. There was plenty of room to do this.
If you look at the top you will see I had to make a small header for the track to mount to. There is an air duct right in the middle of the door opening so I just made a notch and went right over it.

One more thing. I was short a couple parts on the original order. Heartland decided to send me another complete set of hardware. I would let it go for less than it costs, plus shipping, if someone is interested.

If you have a little carpenter skill you will be ok.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the idea. We didn't like having to step down either. My solution is to flip the door so that it opens from the bedroom side. Had to rework the hinges and strike plate and patch some holes. This way I didn't loose any headroom. I'm a tall guy and need all the headroom I can get. I was surprise at the weight of the door.

zolman

I had to do the same thing, reversed the door hinges so I didn't have to go down a step to enter the bathroom from the bedroom. I tried to put in a pivoting door but on my 3600 cyclone there just wasn't enough room, with the toilet placement, to get the full entrance space for the door to pivot correctly.

I do have the pivoting hinges hardware if anyone is interested in buying them at a discounted price. Bopbop did give the correct install instructions. But on my 3600 the bathroom setup just didn't allow the pivoting hinges to open the door all the way.

i4110peter

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for the idea. We didn't like having to step down either. My solution is to flip the door so that it opens from the bedroom side. Had to rework the hinges and strike plate and patch some holes. This way I didn't loose any headroom. I'm a tall guy and need all the headroom I can get. I was surprise at the weight of the door.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here it is... Wasn't too difficult and will be much more convenient.
Bathroom Door2.jpgBathroom Door3.jpg20200724_110947.jpg