Converter fan issue!

my converter fan seems to run full time when I'm plugged into shore power with my dc power on! It goes off when I either turn off breaker or disconnect dc? Why does this do this?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
The fan runs to cool the converter.
If your fan runs full time my first thought was what is the condition of your battery.
It's the electrolyte up to the proper level? Are the battery terminals clean and tight? How old is the battery? Does the battery take and hold the charge?

Peace
Dave

I have a Sundance 262RB brand new and plugged in to my 110 ac at home using my supplied power cord to a 50A to 15A dog bone and my surge protector. My power input is a 30A plug but they upgraded to a 50A. So my cord is 30A to 50A adapter. My converter and power center is 50A main. My battery is new and was at about 11 volts when I plugged in. I left the 12v disconnected all night with 1 light on in my camper. When I went in after about 6 hours I turned on the D/C power and the converter fan ran continuous for several minutes until I unplugged my shore power. I went back in and powered up after noticing my battery was 1/2 discharged so I could charge battery. It took about maybe an hour and the indicator said full charge. but still the fan is running?

Help

Flick

I have a Sundance 262RB brand new and plugged in to my 110 ac at home using my supplied power cord to a 50A to 15A dog bone and my surge protector. My power input is a 30A plug but they upgraded to a 50A. So my cord is 30A to 50A adapter. My converter and power center is 50A main. My battery is new and was at about 11 volts when I plugged in. I left the 12v disconnected all night with 1 light on in my camper. When I went in after about 6 hours I turned on the D/C power and the converter fan ran continuous for several minutes until I unplugged my shore power. I went back in and powered up after noticing my battery was 1/2 discharged so I could charge battery. It took about maybe an hour and the indicator said full charge. but still the fan is running?

Help

Okay, here’s the deal. If anyone needs a new converter, they’re not that expensive, maybe around $235 and they’re easy to install.

But here’s the good news. My converter has been running continuously in my Cyclone ever since I’ve had it (5 years and counting). I’ve done the research and know what it’s supposed to do, that is cut off every now and then. I have 2 brand new batteries and all’s good.

I accept the fact that it may konk out at the most inopportune time, but it’s ok. I know exactly where I can get a new Progressive Dynamic 9280 converter and Fed Ex will get it to me fast.

One of these days, I may switch it out. But for now, life is good and it’s not on my to do bucket list. Have a good one. Lol.

Okay, here’s the deal. If anyone needs a new converter, they’re not that expensive, maybe around $235 and they’re easy to install.

But here’s the good news. My converter has been running continuously in my Cyclone ever since I’ve had it (5 years and counting). I’ve done the research and know what it’s supposed to do, that is cut off every now and then. I have 2 brand new batteries and all’s good.

I accept the fact that it may konk out at the most inopportune time, but it’s ok. I know exactly where I can get a new Progressive Dynamic 9280 converter and Fed Ex will get it to me fast.

One of these days, I may switch it out. But for now, life is good and it’s not on my to do bucket list. Have a good one. Lol.

My Converter and trailer are 2 weeks old, shouldn't have to do that! ya think? it charges the battery just fine so ill just live with it until I get to the dealer for a warranty part!
Thanks Flick

centerline

Help

if you only have 1 battery it will charge faster than two, but no matter how many amps your converter/charger is, the battery itself can only uptake so fast with out destroying itself, which is why the charger has to govern itself from what it senses from the battery....

the bulk charge mode will bring a dead battery up to about 50% in about 2 hours, but after that, the voltage starts dropping off, and it could take 24-36 hours to bring the battery up to a full topped up charge... and after it senses full charge and the battery rests for a few hours and cools down, the voltage may be a little bit low, (depending on how fast it got to full, which creates heat in the battery giving a "higher than actual" reading), in which case the charger will trickle more juice into the cold battery, topping it off.... and the converter/charger will create heat within itself all during this process.

the fan in the converter can run for long periods which is not a problem in itself, but could be an indicator that it isnt cooling like it should.... if the converter in in an enclosed space where there is not enough ventilation to exchange the heated air with cooler air, the converter will not be able to cool itself properly, and so the fan will continue to run in an attempt at trying to cool down....

if you only have 1 battery it will charge faster than two, but no matter how many amps your converter/charger is, the battery itself can only uptake so fast with out destroying itself, which is why the charger has to govern itself from what it senses from the battery....

the bulk charge mode will bring a dead battery up to about 50% in about 2 hours, but after that, the voltage starts dropping off, and it could take 24-36 hours to bring the battery up to a full topped up charge... and after it senses full charge and the battery rests for a few hours and cools down, the voltage may be a little bit low, (depending on how fast it got to full, which creates heat in the battery giving a "higher than actual" reading), in which case the charger will trickle more juice into the cold battery, topping it off.... and the converter/charger will create heat within itself all during this process.

the fan in the converter can run for long periods which is not a problem in itself, but could be an indicator that it isnt cooling like it should.... if the converter in in an enclosed space where there is not enough ventilation to exchange the heated air with cooler air, the converter will not be able to cool itself properly, and so the fan will continue to run in an attempt at trying to cool down....

Man you have a wealth of knowledge thanks for everything, ill fill you in tomorrow when I check the status. I am plugged in with a 15A extension cord. not to long so ill keep my eyes open till then!

centerline

Man you have a wealth of knowledge thanks for everything, ill fill you in tomorrow when I check the status. I am plugged in with a 15A extension cord. not to long so ill keep my eyes open till then!

maybe not as much as you or I think I do, but still, after nearly 6o years of having a lot of toys and tools at my disposal, but being so poor that I had to do all my own work, and being so poor that I couldnt even afford a mistake, Ive learned 2 things and a few tricks and shortcuts.... after starting off with nothing, im still here, and have most of it left...

Well there is a good ending to my dilema, my converter fan finally stopped running! battery was depleted enough to need a trickle charge! I Just needed a little patience. Thanks for all the helpful comments, very appreciated!

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
If your converter was installed like the one in our former BH was, it’s sitting in a pile of dust and debris, with the fan close to a wall. Check for gunk and move it to a better location. One where the black tank ASV valve failure can’t drown it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk