converter help please

cipwood

I'm wanting to disable just the charger circuit on my WFCO WF-8955 converter. I would like everything else to stay functional as normal.
Can someone tell me if there is a switch or a circuit breaker that will make this happen? Or will I have to splice in a switch into the circuitry?

danemayer

If you mean that you don't want the WFCO Power Converter to charge the battery, interrupting that power flow will probably also prevent the battery from powering any interior devices that use 12V DC. So when not on shore power, none of them would run with that circuit interrupted.

Why would you want to disable it?

TrailCreek

Not sure on that model, but locate the 120v breaker or plug that powers the charger and unplug or throw the breaker.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

carl.swoyer

When I installed my magnum ms2812
I simply unplugged the factory installed converter. It's still there if the magnum fails and all I need to do is plug it back in.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

LBR

Unplug the converter and leave the circuit breaker on in case it isn't a dedicated circuit for JUST the converter.

Bogie

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do.

I had a WF-8955 in my first RV. If memory serves me correctly, there is no way to disconnect the converter portion of the without opening the unit an cutting wires. There is no switch to disable the converter because it's integral to the panel. HERE is a link to the Owners manual. You can see how it is wired on page 6.

TrailCreek

Not sure exactly what you are trying to do.

I had a WF-8955 in my first RV. If memory serves me correctly, there is no way to disconnect the converter portion of the without opening the unit an cutting wires. There is no switch to disable the converter because it's integral to the panel. HERE is a link to the Owners manual. You can see how it is wired on page 6.
If it has 120v power it has a breaker or plug. Nothing is wired directly to shore power.

Bogie

If it has 120v power it has a breaker or plug. Nothing is wired directly to shore power.

Oops. My bad. So much for memory. :unsure:

Upon closer look at the install manual, the converter can be connected to a breaker by itself or can be connected with some another branch circuit via a pig tail.

That being said, there is an easy way to find out which one it is. Connect to shore power, disconnect the positive terminal of the battery, turn on the lights (12 volt) and trip each breaker until the lights go out. As the pig tail option mentioned above may have been used by the factory, you may want to check if any other AC circuit goes out at the same time.