Converter in BH

davidg

I've searched forum and can't seem to find what I need. Does anyone out there know how much the converter should be charging when all of the inside lights are on? My lights seem to be dim, I checked voltage with all lights (inside) on and it read 13.0v.
All help will be appreciated,
davidg

taskswap

Lights on or off, if the converter isn't putting out at least 13.2V your batteries aren't going to charge well. Most of these units do have some type of "smarts" that tries to prolong battery life. This spec sheet has a good summary:

You didn't supply the brand/model of your converter so it's hard to say more. It also depends where you measure it. With losses in cabling, it's normal to read a lower voltage at the end of a long wire run vs. measuring it right at the converter's output.

davidg

Make is Progressive Dynamics, model is 9100, no lights on and plugged in to shore power for several days it reads 13.1v, battery fully charged I would imagine, and as I said earlier 13.0v with inside lights on.
I may be having an optical illusion.
Any more questions just ask thanks for the replies.

Bogie

The converter doesn't have any lights. Only external fuses. You say the battery is fully charged. How was that determined? Did you disconnect it and have it tested? I would suggest you disconnect the battery, plug into shore power and then measure the output of the converter. Also check the lights at the same time. Then reconnect the battery and disconnect the shore power and do the same tests. If your meter reads between 12 and 13.6 volts, all should be well. Here is a link to the PD 9100 spec sheet. Regardless of the amperage version, the voltage is the same.

https://www.progressivedyn.com/rv/power-converters/pd9100-series-rv-power-converters/#specifications

sengli

The converter will only put out what it thinks is needed. I installed a DVM in the control center of my last few RVs showing the current voltage level at a glance. Unless your battery is in need of topping off, having it around 13.2 volts is fine. I recently had my converter replaced, due to the internal cooling fan in it being intermittent. The converter fan only comes on and cools the unit when a set temp is reached. If that fan fails, the converter goes into a over temp mode and the output drops. By the way the fan is a orderable part from progressive dynamics.

Attachments

• IMG_1315.JPG
    IMG_1315.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 2

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

If you see your voltage dropping its possibly the reset button on the convertor circuit breaker. In your front compartment.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20190818-210321_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    Screenshot_20190818-210321_Amazon Shopping.jpg
    353.4 KB · Views: 2