Converter Problem Bighorn 3760 EL

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
While loading the RV I saw a message on the fridge, LO DC. I looked it up, said converter not charging. I put a charger on over night, in the morning the error message was gone. About 4 hours after we were set up at the camp ground the lights would dim when I tried to put the awnings up. checked the batteries, panel said low ( one light on the panel). I put the charger back on, withing a short while I had 3 lights ( we also shut down everything 12 volt).

Earlier in the previous day I had been in the basement running a ground wire up to the panel so I could install a switch for some LED lights/ While trying to fish a wire down I was crawling over all the electric boxes in there. Is there anyway to accidentally turn the converter of by hitting a switch? Also, Is there a reset switch on the converter.
Does anyone know what brand of converter they were installing in the 3760?

wdk450

You might have accidentally turned off the converter by rubbing against the power plug, and causing it to unplug.

You need shore power to test the converter - Do you have that? Measure voltage acreoss the battery with a voltmeter with the shore power unplugged, then with the shore power plugged in and all AC circuit breakers on. The 2nd reading should be higher, about 13.6 volts.

Chainsaw

Saskatchewan Chapter Leader
You might have accidentally turned off the converter by rubbing against the power plug, and causing it to unplug.

You need shore power to test the converter - Do you have that? Measure voltage acreoss the battery with a voltmeter with the shore power unplugged, then with the shore power plugged in and all AC circuit breakers on. The 2nd reading should be higher, about 13.6 volts.
I opened the basement and crawled in, the plug was pulled out just a bit. I have tested the system, works good. Thank you

wdk450

Just one last bit of advice. That converter wallplug coming loose is a common problem. You might want to prevent a re-occurrence of this by any of the following: 1)Get some RVers GOOP elastometric (rubber) adhesive and apply it where the plastic of the plug and outlet mate. It can be pulled apart with some force, but shouldn't vibrate loose. It is non-conductive. 2)With nose pliers bend the plug flat blades into slight sideways "S" shapes to better grip the receptacle. 3)From a career of working on hospital medical devices, I know that the plugs (and outlets) used in the hospital are a tighter "hospital grade"(marked with a green dot) with thicker prongs designed to make better contact and not inadvertently come apart. Use one of these plugs ( a lot of manufacturers of plugstrips for computer devices do).