converter problems

Have a 2014 Bighorn model 3010re, the converter went into overload, fried my batteries. went into 18.1 volts constant. I replacer the converter with a boondocker converter, works great, yes I replaced my batteries, but now the heater fan wont work, ceiling exhaust fan wont work, and the auto level will not level correctly, just extends jacks until out of stroke. Did replace a few 12v bulbs. HELP ! Thank You

wdk450

Have a 2014 Bighorn model 3010re, the converter went into overload, fried my batteries. went into 18.1 volts constant. I replacer the converter with a boondocker converter, works great, yes I replaced my batteries, but now the heater fan wont work, ceiling exhaust fan wont work, and the auto level will not level correctly, just extends jacks until out of stroke. Did replace a few 12v bulbs. HELP ! Thank You
It sounds like you blew a few fuses and circuit breakers. The fusepanel should have LED lights that indicate blown fuses.All but one (battery charging/discharge line) of the circuit breakers should be auto resetting. The one in question should have a TINY black plastic reset button on one of the the narrow sides of the breaker. The autolevel is something I am not familiar with, but I would expect something like that would have a control circuit board that isn't too happy with high input voltages. Hopefully there is a fuse on the circuit board. Otherwise, you may have to replace the circuit board.

jbeletti

Hi John - sorry to hear you had converter issues. Never heard of the particular issue you had with yours in terms of extreme over-voltage.

If this did affect the other items you mention - what sort of "help" are you looking for from forum members? Are you planning on repairing or replacing these items? Will you be doing the work yourself and want some guidance?

Finally - have you considered your "power surge" natter as an insurance matter and contacted your insurance company?

danemayer

Cycle your leveling control panel to read the voltage on the leveling system. If plugged into shore power, it should be 13.2-13.6V DC. If just on batteries, you'll want at least 12.5V DC.

Thank you for the reply. No fuses were blown or circuit breakers tripped. Voltage Is within limits 13.2 to 14.4 depending on battery draw. Ceiling fan (exhaust ) the 12v one works on manual but not by the thermostat on wall. Forced air heater fan still doesn't work, and Auto Level just keeps extending jacks until say out of stroke.

Hi John - sorry to hear you had converter issues. Never heard of the particular issue you had with yours in terms of extreme over-voltage.

If this did affect the other items you mention - what sort of "help" are you looking for from forum members? Are you planning on repairing or replacing these items? Will you be doing the work yourself and want some guidance?

Finally - have you considered your "power surge" natter as an insurance matter and contacted your insurance company?

Planning to try to fix it myself, or at least try. Yes I have a surge protector on the main power cord when hooked up to shore power

- - - Updated - - -

On the auto-level problem. Try manually leveling the rv and then reset the memorized level. If you forgot. Turn it OFF. push the UP arrow 10 times then the down arrow 10 times and it should go into setting the level memory. It helped on mine when it went (goes) stupid..

Will try that, thank you. Didn't know you could reset it, the manuals that came with the trailer are really vague, they pretty much say if it dosnt work contact your dealer! LOL

DougS

Doug S
Just a thought, did you make sure battery disconnect is turned on. If your auto level is running off of the converter, you might get an out of stroke message, it needs the battery to work right.

Just a thought, did you make sure battery disconnect is turned on. If your auto level is running off of the converter, you might get an out of stroke message, it needs the battery to work right.

Yes thank you, just reset the system and works again

- - - Updated - - -

On the auto-level problem. Try manually leveling the rv and then reset the memorized level. If you forgot. Turn it OFF. push the UP arrow 10 times then the down arrow 10 times and it should go into setting the level memory. It helped on mine when it went (goes) stupid..

That worked, thank you. Owners manual is really vague when it comes to troubleshooting

mlpeloquin

For everything else that doesn't work that got the 18.1VDC, you may want to contact the manufacture to see if the electronics could have been damaged with the over voltage. If you do so, please report back so this information is available for future reference.