Converter problems

brandman

I have a 2012 Bighorn 3070RL. The paperwork I have says the converter is an Inteli Power PD9200 Series (unsure of exact model number). We came back after an overnight to find both house batteries dead, no lights and no DC power to refrigerator. First thing this morning I replaced both batteries. I now have 12.5 volts DC, but no indication that the converter is charging batteries. (I checked DC voltage across battery cables and reading was 0.) I checked the DC fuse panel and could not find a fuse for the battery/converter or anything that looked like it might be applicable. Is there a fuse somewhere that I may be overlooking? We have been in our fifth wheel for some time now, and I haven't changed anything so I didn't hook batteries up backwards or anything and can't think of anything that would have caused a short. Please keep answers as simple as possible since my knowledge of electricity might fill one line on this post. Thanks in advance.

Doug

danemayer

Our owner-written 12V Block Diagram and Diagnostic guide can help you figure out what's wrong. There's a diagnostic flowchart that will step you through how to check various things. You may also find our Electrical User Guide helpful.

Before going too far, you can do a couple of simple things:

1. While on shore power, and disconnected from the tow vehicle, turn the Battery Cutoff Switch to OFF. In your control panel, the tank level indicator will also show either Power Converter Output or Battery Charge, or the combination. On shore power with no battery, you should see 4 lights if the Converter is working.
  2. If you have no lights, the Converter is not working. Check the 120V AC circuit breakers. Sometimes one can trip but move so little that you can't visually confirm it's ON. Find the breaker for the Converter and flip OFF and back ON. Re-check the test panel. If you're not sure which breaker it is, flip them all.
  3. If still no lights, take down the rear wall of the pass through basement storage on the water connection side. Make sure the Power Converter is plugged into its outlet.
  4. If it's plugged in, check for 120V AC at the outlet.
  5. If the outlet is ok, check the on-board fuses on the Power Converter.
  6. If the fuses test ok with a meter, you probably have a failed Converter. But you should put a meter on the output side of the Converter to check for 12V DC.

Gary521

Perhaps you were a bit hasty in replacing the batteries. In the guide, it refers to a manual reset breaker. Its almost impossible to tell if it has been tripped or not. Push the reset button in and maybe you will hear a click. Also, you can get on Progressive Dynamics web site and they will tell you how to troubleshoot the converter.

pegmikef

Perhaps you were a bit hasty in replacing the batteries. In the guide, it refers to a manual reset breaker. Its almost impossible to tell if it has been tripped or not. Push the reset button in and maybe you will hear a click. Also, you can get on Progressive Dynamics web site and they will tell you how to troubleshoot the converter.

What Gary said. Scroll down to page 5 of the following manual and follow the trouble shooting guide to determine whether or not your converter is toasted. For some reason some converters seem to last forever while others have a high failure rate. I replaced my converter three times in the last fifteen months and never replaced the one in my Big Horn that I had for 4 1/2 years and 45 plus k miles.