Converter shut off

Allen G

Hello, have have just bought a Big Country 4011erd and it has no inverter. There is no power where I am going to camp. My plan is to disconnect the 50 amp Shoreline from the breaker box and to connect it to a transfer switch, on the other side of the switch a 3500 -7000 W inverter then transfer switch back to breaker box ( with 8 6V batteries) also will occasionally run a 4500 W generator on shoreline. Also I am installing 700 watts of solar. If I permanently have a 10 or so amp charger on the batteries plugged directly to the generator, should I turn off the converter?

Last edited:

danemayer

When on shore power or on generator, you'll want the Converter ON to help charge up the batteries. But when running off the inverter using battery power, you don't want to waste power going through the Converter back to the batteries.

Allen G

I was thinking having a charger on the batteries plugged directly into the generator would do more then the converter as they usually only charge a couple of amps

Allen G

I read that most of that power runs 12v system and only charges at about 3 amps. If it charges higher I might put an On/Off switch on the converter so not to use breaker and when on inverter converter will be off. Hopefully solar can keep the batteries up