Converting from manual to remote thermostat

I am wanting to convert the front Dometic ac in my Elkridge 37 Ultimate from manual controls to the remote thermostat. Has anyone done this and what is involved?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

What type of remote thermostat are you talking about ?
I would like to install the Honeywell with WiFi like I have in my home. But I have to find someone that knows a lot more about it then I do, because I need it to operate 3 AC's or at least 2 of them.

I just want the ac to have more precise temperature control than the manual dial. I was thinking of the dometic dual zone control thermostat. I was told the nest style thermostats wouldn't work without a bunch of hassle.

jnbhobe

I used one from Walmart and eliminated the low speed. There is a diagram for this floating around the forum somewhere.

Gary521

Honeywell has a thermostat that has an add on remote. The remote becomes the temperature location and up down control. The main stat controls all other functions.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

My Landmark 365 is pre-wired with a brown 8 stran wire that goes from each AC unit down to each controller. It is just there not being used.

4ed0e9b005034c650615a88504cef901.jpg

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

danemayer

I am wanting to convert the front Dometic ac in my Elkridge 37 Ultimate from manual controls to the remote thermostat. Has anyone done this and what is involved?

If the thermostat on the unit is controlled by a knob, I'd guess it's analog and the wires attached inside the unit could probably be re-routed to a thermostat on the wall. Likely not the Dometic Single Zone Digital or the Dometic Comfort Control thermostats. I think Dometic uses a proprietary arrangement.

If you can easily get to the wires on the back of the existing thermostat, measure the voltage. If 12-24V DC, you can probably find any number of residential thermostats at your local hardware store, including digital. Then it's just a matter of figuring out how to get the wires run.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
What type of remote thermostat are you talking about ?
I would like to install the Honeywell with WiFi like I have in my home. But I have to find someone that knows a lot more about it then I do, because I need it to operate 3 AC's or at least 2 of them.
I can share what little I know about thermostats.
A WiFi thermostat requires 24 vac unless you can find one that used batteries. If your furnace control board has a 'C' terminal then that will provide the needed extra 24 vac. If there is no 'C' terminal then you would have to add a 24 vac transformer. This would require 120 vac to operate.
You might also look at the connections on your current thermostat and look for a blue wire. This is normally the C wire.
I don't know what features all of the WiFi thermostats have, but if there is a Y2 terminal this should control a second AC. Y will control the first AC.
The Honeywell RTH9580 has a Y2 terminal.
If you have to add a transformer you will need a 6 conductor cable to the thermostat unless you delete the fan only function.
And of course like the description says you will need to have WiFi in order to control it from your mobile device.
That's all I got.

Peace
Dave

Thystra

I have a 2016 Big Country 3800FL. I am looking to do an upgrade to a Honeywell 7 day thermostat from the Dometic thermostats.

I found the brown wire as mentioned above on one of the thermostats (not the second; Thermostat 1 controls Front AC & furnace; Thermostat 2 controls rear AC only). The Dometic Thermostats have a phone wire type connection to the back of their units.

I hooked up the Honeywell Thermostat to the brown wire, but no joy (using conventional wiring).

is there somewhere on the other end where I have to disconnect the Dometic wires and change them over to the brown wires?

Another question is how do I tell if I have heat pump capable A/C units installed?

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information on where/how all the AC units are wired together.

Thanks.

danemayer

I have a 2016 Big Country 3800FL. I am looking to do an upgrade to a Honeywell 7 day thermostat from the Dometic thermostats.

I found the brown wire as mentioned above on one of the thermostats (not the second; Thermostat 1 controls Front AC & furnace; Thermostat 2 controls rear AC only). The Dometic Thermostats have a phone wire type connection to the back of their units.

I hooked up the Honeywell Thermostat to the brown wire, but no joy (using conventional wiring).

is there somewhere on the other end where I have to disconnect the Dometic wires and change them over to the brown wires?

Another question is how do I tell if I have heat pump capable A/C units installed?

There doesn't seem to be a whole lot of information on where/how all the AC units are wired together.

Thanks.

Hi Thystra,

I don't recall if anyone has ever succeeded at swapping out the digital Dometic RV thermostat for a residential type thermostat. Dometic may use a proprietary setup that is different from residential designs.

billk263

California-South Chapter Leaders
I think the biggest problem you will have is that the Dometic operates on D/C voltage and residential runs on A/ C power

2016 Landmark Charleston
2016 Ram 3500
Mega Cab
Dually
3:73 Axle Ratio

Thystra

Well, Heartland bothered to run the standard brown wire in the wall. I would suspect that the AC and furnace use the standard wiring. The Furnace manual indicates where the yellow control wire goes. I haven't had time to climb up on the roof and check out the A/C. I need to call Dometic and find out if there is a central control box or something.

Where does heartland install the guts of the Dometic thermostats? I would appreciate it if the factory could comment on where they wire things up (since they obviously ran the brown wire).

danemayer

Well, Heartland bothered to run the standard brown wire in the wall. I would suspect that the AC and furnace use the standard wiring. The Furnace manual indicates where the yellow control wire goes. I haven't had time to climb up on the roof and check out the A/C. I need to call Dometic and find out if there is a central control box or something.

Where does heartland install the guts of the Dometic thermostats? I would appreciate it if the factory could comment on where they wire things up (since they obviously ran the brown wire).

The guts of the thermostats are inside the thermostat case. On our 2011 Landmark, there's also a control box with relays in the living room A/C, just above the air return. But on newer units I don't know if that's the case.

As for the factory assisting you in putting in a different thermostat, I doubt that's going to happen.

Jesstruckn/Jesstalkn

Mine has the 3 brown wire looms in the wall behind each of the 3 thermostats the wires run up to each AC unit and dead end there.
So I have 2 in the hall for my main and 3rd AC and 1 in the bedroom for my 2nd AC.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

RVNWITHUS

Is this thread dead or did someone figure it out?

I would very much like to change out my Dometic CCC with a more up-to-date system. Would be nice to automate with Google device or Wifi controls.

Does anyone know if Dometic has come out with a thermostat that works with third party controls?

JamesL73

Is this thread dead or did someone figure it out?

I would very much like to change out my Dometic CCC with a more up-to-date system. Would be nice to automate with Google device or Wifi controls.

Does anyone know if Dometic has come out with a thermostat that works with third party controls?

2018 Elkridge has the Dometic cheesy little Capacity Touch Controllers. The one in the bedroom has had no issues but I’ve replaced the main 3 times. The “touch” is sooooo finicky. Sometimes it does nothing, other times it gets “stuck” and the numbers just keep going on their own. I’ve tried readjusting the foam inside the face where it goes on the little metal contacts but no go. So, this last time I swapped it for the Bluetooth one. They look identical but for the BT symbol. Downloaded the app on my iPhone and now just control the main T-sat from my phone. Maybe this will help someone.