cracked drainline fitting and other leak issues

I purchased a new 2014 Heartland Landmark San Antonio about 6 weeks ago. I just found a small leak in the basement roof panel that holds the auto level control unit (long narrow panel in the basement roof--door side) . I removed several screws and found a crack in the "t" fitting from the drain in the bathroom sink. Fortunately we don't use that sink very much so the damage is/was minimal. The dealer is getting approval from Heartland to fix the problem. I also had to hand tighten the fittings under the kitchen sinks--which apparently is a common problem with new Heartland RV's.

I am now concerned about other possible leaks and would like to check other connections/fittings--especially the shower fittings/drain and UDC fittings to head off future problems/issues.

Any suggestions about the best way to access the fittings and drains? I haven't removed the panel behind the shower ( in the bedroom) or removed any of the other basement panels. Is this the best way to access the drains and fittings?

Thanks

Richard

danemayer

Hi Rharvey742,

Congratulations on the new Landmark and welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

It's probably a good idea to check that the fittings under the sinks are hand tight. As for the shower controls, floor plans vary but if you have a panel in the bedroom, that's probably the access panel to the shower fittings.

In the pass-through storage, if you take down the rear wall next to the UDC, that'll expose the back of the water heater, the water pump, and most of the plumbing lines. Check the fittings on the water heater and the pump and look for evidence of drips that might indicate any poor crimping on the Pex lines.

If you have an ice maker or water dispenser in the refrigerator, you'll want to locate the water feed line cutoff valve. Location varies. It could be behind the UDC, or perhaps under a cabinet in the kitchen. One thing to be aware of is that if the refrigerator is located in a slideout, the water feed line will likely be exposed to outside air. If temps ever go below freezing, that feed line will be the first thing to freeze, resulting in leaks. It's important to evacuate the water from the line and close the cutoff valve if temps are dropping.

You might find our owner-written Water Systems Guide helpful. There's also a Residential Refrigerator Guide, if that's what your rig has, that has specific instructions on how to prepare the frig for freezing weather.

wdk450

Just to be sure, and because this problem has been so common, I would suggest that you stopper both kitchen sink sides, fill them most of the way with water, and inspect the sink flanges underneath for leaks.