cracked rims

I have a 2011 Cyclone 3814 triple axle, that we bought in 1010 has a cracked rim on left rear right front and right rear axle, cracked at the spokes, they are sending me one at this time I just noticed the other two today, and just sent them an update, I hope they will replace all of them. not really feeling warm and fuzzy, reading that there has been others that have had problems

Attachments

• right front.jpg
    right front.jpg
    513.2 KB · Views: 38
  • right rear.jpg
    right rear.jpg
    510.5 KB · Views: 37
  • trailer rim.jpg
    trailer rim.jpg
    284.7 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:

SLO

I’m guessing you’re dealing with Tredit. As someone who has dealt with Tredit three times on wheel issues, I can say they are very responsive to their customers. All times they have replaced the wheel in question and the last time all four wheels. There is a lot of weight on there, in my case, 16” wheels. With 11 years on your wheels I’d be glad they were Tredit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
We had one of our rims like this crack as well. Ours was on a 2010 Elkridge. It cracked in 2012, Tredit sent us a replacement.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

southernlady5464

I have a 2011 Cyclone 3814 triple axle, that we bought in 1010 has a cracked rim on left rear right front and right rear axle, cracked at the spokes, they are sending me one at this time I just noticed the other two today, and just sent them an update, I hope they will replace all of them. not really feeling warm and fuzzy, reading that there has been others that have had problems
I know you meant 2010 but your finger slipped.

porthole

Retired
Tredit and HiSpec must use the same overseas supplier. I have had 3 cracked rims and know several others that have had the same issue. Lifetime warranties help.

update: Tredit is replacing the rims, they have been very helpful. FedEx on the other hand has lost or misplaced 2 of the rims . Tredit is overnighting them to me as of today, so we can leave on our trip.

roy67ss

I just discovered this thread. I had one basically explode on the way south last November. The tire was a new Sailun S637 bought last summer. I had to purchase a new tire and steel rim to complete the trip to Arizona. I have since discovered that the other wheel on the same side has 2 cracked spokes. I now have 2 of the spoked rims and 2 steel rims on the unit, one of each on each side. I guess I am SOL with Tredit. because I am not the original purchaser. I will be going to all steel rims that are rated at least 4000 lbs. These spoked aluminum things are not meant for these heavy trailers. Mine weighs in at about 13,500 lbs on the road.

Last edited:

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Be interesting to know root cause, is it inclusions, voids, or stress-risers from poor machining? Combine one of those with smacking a pothole and voila!

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
I just discovered this thread. I had one basically explode on the way south last November. The tire was a new Sailun S637 bought last summer.
You might want to check your date of manufacture or your tires. There has been a recall on some Sailun tires. Check it out HERE.

Peace
Dave

danemayer

I just discovered this thread. I had one basically explode on the way south last November. The tire was a new Sailun S637 bought last summer. I had to purchase a new tire and steel rim to complete the trip to Arizona. I have since discovered that the other wheel on the same side has 2 cracked spokes. I now have 2 of the spoked rims and 2 steel rims on the unit, one of each on each side. I guess I am SOL with Tredit. because I am not the original purchaser. I will be going to all steel rims that are rated at least 4000 lbs. These spoked aluminum things are not meant for these heavy trailers. Mine weighs in at about 13,500 lbs on the road.
If your rims have developed air leaks, it's not surprising that you'd have tire failures. Even though you're not the original owner, you should call Tredit and ask if they'll replace the rims. They might surprise you.

If they ask, you should be honest about being the 2nd owner. But they might not ask.

roy67ss

I gave in and just changed all my rims to steel rims rated for at least 4060 lbs. I kept one of the spoked as my spare. I think that the main problem with the spoked rims is that they are only rated for 3580 lbs. and many of us, especially those with toy haulers, are changing over from the stock E (3460 lb) rated tires to G (4080+ lb) rated. I cannot find a psi rating on the rim but, the E tires use 80 psi while the G's are 110 psi. This difference significantly ads side stress to the rims and I very much suspect that it is major contributing factor for why these rims are cracking. That is my 2 cents worth on this subject.

Big-B

If your rims have developed air leaks, it's not surprising that you'd have tire failures. Even though you're not the original owner, you should call Tredit and ask if they'll replace the rims. They might surprise you.

If they ask, you should be honest about being the 2nd owner. But they might not ask.
Our tire pressure monitoring system alerted me to a low tire on our trailer one morning after we had stopped for the night. Instead of 100 psi for the G rated tires that the previous owner had installed, one tire only had 53 psi. I couldn't find any leaks so I got out my compressor and pumped it up to 100 and hit the road and kept an eye on the TPMS. It had a slow leak but I only had to put air in it one more time in a thousand miles so I got it home. Brought it to a tire shop and they found a tiny hairline crack in the rim that wasn't near any stress risers or anything. Must have been a flaw in the casting that finally decided to leak.

I did a search here and found that sometimes Tredit would replace rims so but usually only to the original owner so I called them and they asked me if I was the original owner. I told them that I was the second owner and they said they couldn't cover it under warranty but would sell me a new one for $60 which I considered more than fair. I ordered two of them and my wife and I drove down and picked them up as they're only about 100 miles away.

We usually tow about 5,000 miles a year and I'm amazed that we haven't had more problems like cracked rims. The TPMS has saved us three times over the years from flat tires from road hazards. It's also a lot cheaper to just repair a tire than to replace a tire and possibly a rim too. Worth every penny and I wouldn't want to tow without one anymore.