Cracked wall

tjburke75

I have a 2015 Big Country 3650 RL. My exterior wall has a 11 1/2" crack going from the bedroom slide to the bottom at a diagonal ending by the tire label. I have had 3 RV dealers tell me this is a known issue with Big Country and Bighorn. They say the Frame is broken and it may have a broken weld. Has anyone had this problem and will Heartland do anything about it? Thank you.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Your best bet will be to call Heartland direct.
Have your VIN handy and explain the situation and what you have been told by the dealers.
If you are the original owner they may do goodwill repair. Maybe, but you won't know if you don't make the call.
Let us know what you find out.
574-262-8030

Peace
Dave

david-steph2018

We had a sidewall crack on our 2018 Road Warrior in May 2020. Heartland sent us to Affinity RV Group in Goshen, Ind... We were not 3 years old, and Heartland covered our cost.
Yes, the interior aluminum frame weld had broken, they had to cut out a small section of the exterior wall. The welder came in and welded the break, installed a gusset for support. Body shop came back and did the fiberglass work, and paint.
Has suggested call and ask, have photos ready to send.

sengli

We just went looking for a used fifth wheels this spring. Went to several dealers looking and found at least three SOB fivers with the same issue. Usually means the aluminum sub structure in the wall has let go at a weld, allowing the wall to have to flex beyond what it can handle,

I second a recommendation for affinity RV repair in Goshen, Indiana...they are good at the major fixes like this. They are partnered with heartland.

tjburke75

We had a sidewall crack on our 2018 Road Warrior in May 2020. Heartland sent us to Affinity RV Group in Goshen, Ind... We were not 3 years old, and Heartland covered our cost.
Yes, the interior aluminum frame weld had broken, they had to cut out a small section of the exterior wall. The welder came in and welded the break, installed a gusset for support. Body shop came back and did the fiberglass work, and paint.
Has suggested call and ask, have photos ready to send.
Do you have any idea what this would cost? I also heard they are booked until August. Thank you.

tjburke75

Your best bet will be to call Heartland direct.
Have your VIN handy and explain the situation and what you have been told by the dealers.
If you are the original owner they may do goodwill repair. Maybe, but you won't know if you don't make the call.
Let us know what you find out.
574-262-8030

Peace
Dave
Heartland will not do anything. Do you have any idea what this would cost?

Last edited by a moderator:

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Several have gone to Affinity RV Group in Goshen. Perhaps they will chime in with a cost.
Or you could call Affinity and they might give an approximate cost.
574-971-5543

Peace
Dave

tjburke75

Several have gone to Affinity RV Group in Goshen. Perhaps they will chime in with a cost.
Or you could call Affinity and they might give an approximate cost.
574-971-5543

Peace
Dave
Affinity didn't answer Friday Afternoon or today. Another guy here said his is going to be fixed in August. If that is soonest I can get it in, I am trading it in. I do not want to give up an entire summer. As I am not sure it is safe to go down the road. If I had an idea what Affinity charged others I would have better information as to whether to take the awful deal I am getting because of the crack. This seems to be a well known issue. Heartland will not do anything about it. Thank you for your help.

Attachments

• crack_5.JPG
    crack_5.JPG
    196.5 KB · Views: 25
Last edited by a moderator:

david-steph2018

Affinity RV Group is closed on the weekends. Usually somebody is not in the office until around 8:30, but the shop opens about 7 am.
The reason we can't get in until August is that is the time period we will be back in the area. We left Phoenix yesterday and we are in Palm Springs area.
As of the cost we are not sure because our repairs in 2020 was covered under the 3-year warranty.

tjburke75

Affinity RV Group is closed on the weekends. Usually somebody is not in the office until around 8:30, but the shop opens about 7 am.
The reason we can't get in until August is that is the time period we will be back in the area. We left Phoenix yesterday and we are in Palm Springs area.
As of the cost we are not sure because our repairs in 2020 was covered under the 3-year warranty.
Thank you, Are you saying it cracked in 2020 and is now cracked again?

danemayer

You haven't said whether you've spoken with Heartland Customer Service yourself. Perhaps the dealers are telling you Heartland won't do anything about it. Or perhaps you have called Heartland, but you're not the original owner. Heartland usually fixes out of warranty problems like this for first owners, sometimes even for a 2nd owner. If you haven't already done so, call Heartland directly at 877-262-8032 / 574-262-8030.

tjburke75

I called Heartland Customer Service yesterday and spoke with and did several E Mails with Gabe Garcia. I explained everything to him and told him this unit had issues from the 1st day I bought it. He confirmed that they knew about the original issues but this unit is out of warranty and Heartland will not do anything. I asked if there was anyone else to appeal at Heartland I would like to contact them. I was not given an answer. I asked if there is a Government Agency I can report this to and was not given an answer. I told him I would tell everyone I know and can contact on the Internet and he did not care. This is a common problem from what everyone has told me, this unit should have recalled long ago and repaired and Heartland should stand behind it. I am not sure spending 5 to 6 thousand dollars to repair this is a good idea. For all I know in year it will crack elsewhere. If anyone has any other ideas I would appreciate it but it looks to me like my best option is to take a huge loss trading it in on a non Heartland and non Thor product. Thank you.