crazy a/c experiance today

Bobby A

Just arrived at our winter campgrounds yesterday and this morning we were just getting ready to leave for breakfast and all of a sudden the a/c started making an awful noise and shaking the trailer. I thought OMG what has happened now, its 94 degrees and humidity is off the chart, we can not stay with our dog with no a/c. I called 3 mobile techs and finally got a call back and the guy said he could be out at 2pm. I was in mitts of a scramble and went to camping world and bought a new a/c unit not knowing if it was the right one or not, just kinda guessing, the part numbers on my unit were unidentifiable. I just told them a 15 K Dometic, and they came up with a Brisk air II I think they called it. Got it back home and went up on the roof and took the shroud off and seen where the one fin on the fan blade cracked off. So now I new that it was off balance and what was causing the shaking. Started calling around and driving around to locate a new fan blade, it was like a needle in a hay stay to find on a Saturday morning and Dometic being closed, to know avail did any place have one. I surrendered to the fact I was gonna install a new a/c unit that cost X amount of dollars when I only needed a fan blade for a lot less than X amount of dollars. The mobile tech arrived on time and I demonstrated the shaking issue. We went on the roof and I showed him the damaged fan blade, low and behold like a needle in a hay stack he had the exact same one in his truck !! I was blown away, I could of kissed the guy !! He replaced the fan blade and we are back in business, the cost was a lot less than a new a/c for sure. Its still 89 degrees in the trailer hear in Florida but no humidity with the a/c functioning properly so its bearable, it will start cooling off as soon as the sun goes down, the a/c is playing catch up right now. I took the new unopened a/c unit back to camping world for a full refund. I just wanted to share this experience with you all, thank you Jesus !!

Does any one know of a part # for an exact replacement a/c unit just in case the Brisk air II would not of worked ?? My unit has performed great for the last 6 plus years of full time use and I'm sure someday I will need a new a/c unit, and I don't want the trauma that I just experienced today.

Thank you,
Bobby

AAdams

We had a '09 Landmark, we replaced the rear 15k A/C in it with the Brisk II

B59516 Brisk Air 2
3314082.xxx CCC2 Thermostat
3105935.xxx Return Air Grill
3312020.000 Control Board ( use for single or multi-zone )

And the lower unit to upper unit mounting bolts come with the control board

the xxx is for the color codes on the grill and thermostat

Hope this helps

Alan

Bobby A

We had a '09 Landmark, we replaced the rear 15k A/C in it with the Brisk II

B59516 Brisk Air 2
3314082.xxx CCC2 Thermostat
3105935.xxx Return Air Grill
3312020.000 Control Board ( use for single or multi-zone )

And the lower unit to upper unit mounting bolts come with the control board

the xxx is for the color codes on the grill and thermostat

Hope this helps

Alan

Thanks Alan, yes that is good info, just wondering, was it necessary to change the thermostat and all the other things you mentioned ?? How bout the control board ?? I did buy that also just in case, but they told me at camping world I probably would not need it, but I got it just in case. Thanks for responding.

AAdams

I was removing a Dometic heat pump, so in our case we had to replace everything except the lower unit. But since the older lower unit was slightly discolored and the new one is cheap compared to the rest of the stuff...

The Brisk Air II does not come with a controller built in, so you may need a controller depending on what you are removing. I did try the thermostat / controller 3313189.xxx but it is hardwired and does not use the modular jack that the RV comes wired with. The single / multi unit controller and CCC2 does use the modular jacks.

Get some of the metal foil HVAC tape. I found that the factory didn't secure the duct very well and it had to be re secured. Also I used some on the baffle that separates the intake / output of the unit.

Hope this helps

Alan

wdk450

Thanks for the posting so that all of us reading this will know instantly (if the brain cells work) what the vibration noise associated with the air conditioner probably is. I found the fan blade on E-Bay for about $8, and it might be a handy thing to have in my spare parts cache. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-Duo...itioner-Fan-Blade-With-6-Blades-/182203554939

This is probably a good thing to inspect during the next air conditioner routine maintenance cycle.

Bobby A

Thanks for the posting so that all of us reading this will know instantly (if the brain cells work) what the vibration noise associated with the air conditioner probably is. I found the fan blade on E-Bay for about $8, and it might be a handy thing to have in my spare parts cache. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dometic-Duo...itioner-Fan-Blade-With-6-Blades-/182203554939

This is probably a good thing to inspect during the next air conditioner routine maintenance cycle.

Thanks Bill, the funny thing is I inspected my a/c unit about a month ago, took the shroud off and took an air hose and blew all the cotton from the cotton wood tree behind our site, really wasn't as bad as I would of thought. Thanks for the link, I may order one myself to have on hand, however we have been full time in our rig for going on 7 years now, so the fan blade has held up real good in my opinion.

Bobby A

I was removing a Dometic heat pump, so in our case we had to replace everything except the lower unit. But since the older lower unit was slightly discolored and the new one is cheap compared to the rest of the stuff...

The Brisk Air II does not come with a controller built in, so you may need a controller depending on what you are removing. I did try the thermostat / controller 3313189.xxx but it is hardwired and does not use the modular jack that the RV comes wired with. The single / multi unit controller and CCC2 does use the modular jacks.

Get some of the metal foil HVAC tape. I found that the factory didn't secure the duct very well and it had to be re secured. Also I used some on the baffle that separates the intake / output of the unit.

Hope this helps

Alan

Thanks Alan, my unit is a 2010 Bighorn and the thermostat that came with the unit was the old analog system with only one a/c in the unit, so not sure if I would of needed all the extra parts you were referring to, but I'm no a/c guys.

AAdams

Oh, I am a plumber by trade, but at the time looking at spending $XXX.xx less by replacing it myself was quite appealing. I dealt with PPL and they did make a mistake on the control board part, but they made it right including shipping of the right parts and wrote off the difference in the price of the parts.... The thermostat that was on the '09 Landmark was the Dometic Comfort Control

IMO the hardest part of replacing the A/C unit is getting it on the roof and getting the old one off the roof without causing any damage.

Bobby A

Oh, I am a plumber by trade, but at the time looking at spending $XXX.xx less by replacing it myself was quite appealing. I dealt with PPL and they did make a mistake on the control board part, but they made it right including shipping of the right parts and wrote off the difference in the price of the parts.... The thermostat that was on the '09 Landmark was the Dometic Comfort Control

IMO the hardest part of replacing the A/C unit is getting it on the roof and getting the old one off the roof without causing any damage.

So do you think if I was to get the Brisk air II, I would need more than the top portion of the a/c unit ?? again no experience with a/c's I was gonna buy the part and have a mobile tech do the install. Thank you

AAdams

It all depends on what you are pulling off. If it is a air conditioner only, maybe not... depends if the control board in the older unit is compatible with the Brisk Air II. If you plan on replacing it or think that you may need other parts I would call PPL Motorhomes parts department and talk to them. Be sure to have part numbers to the parts you have as far as controller. All 4 the pieces that I bought can be purchased on line for a little more than $800 plus shipping

Bobby A

It all depends on what you are pulling off. If it is a air conditioner only, maybe not... depends if the control board in the older unit is compatible with the Brisk Air II. If you plan on replacing it or think that you may need other parts I would call PPL Motorhomes parts department and talk to them. Be sure to have part numbers to the parts you have as far as controller. All 4 the pieces that I bought can be purchased on line for a little more than $800 plus shipping

Thanks Alan for your advise, I will call PPL next week and hopefully get a better handle/knowledge on what parts are needed. Are you happy with the briskair II ?? does it seem to blow out cold air with the same force as your OEM ?? Is there a part number on the control module that you can see from the in side after you remove the grate that has the foam like filter ?? Thanks again, Bobby

Bobby A

Update,
For those of you that followed this thread or may have contributed to it. After about a month I had a repete experience ( read the beginning of this thread) same exact sound and noise. Come to find out after I got up and removed the shroud that the black little rubber gromitts that are in the screws that help support the motor must of gotten brittle and cracked off of the screws that secure the motor. That's what made the fan blade break, from the motor moving around and hit on something to break the blades. This unit has served me well for 7 years of full time use, my wife said just replace the unit and be done with it. There is a place near by that I found that has awesome prices on a/c units. I was very confused no knowing what model number or what unit to get and what all do I need to replace. So, for those of you that may get a little confused like me, Im hear to make it easy on ya. In my case that's all I needed was the upper a/c unit, NOTHING ELSE !! Just swap out my old Dometic 15K unit and replace it with an exact match, basically a plug and play. The model # is B59516.XX1C0 it came with a white shroud. The only thing I had to make sure was that my control box was a 6 prong plug, and it was. So hopefully this unit will serve me as well as the original unit. Hope this may help someone that may have a/c issues in the future.