CY 3010 Fresh Water Tank - Some water is inaccessible - Discussion

js700

Hello...I have a new 2010 Cyclone 3010 and this past weekend I was able to use all the appliances in the toy hauler. I kept an eye on the fresh water tank and at 1/3 full I lost water pressure in the coach. I went outside and checked the drain hose for the fresh water tank, opened the valve and it ran for 5 secs and then was just dripping. I figured the fresh water was emptied due to I dumped the grey tank twice and holding tank once. I know that it will be covered under warranty but was wondering is there a level pot they can adjust or does the tank have to be dropped? I see that there was a similar post on a 3850 that they remounted the tank on a angle....thanks ....Jim

thomasinnv

there is nothing the dealer or factory will do to fix the problem. what happens is that the outlet does not get all the way to the bottom of the tank, so there is a good amount of "usable" water capacity that is not being accessed. what i did was to disconnect the outlet tube and get a piece of 3/8 (i think that was the correct size) soft copper tubing, put a small flare on one end, and insert the tube into the tank outlet fitting making sure it was bent at a slight angle so that when the tube was in the tank it settled to the bottom center of the tank. the 3/8 was just the right size so it fit very snuggly in the outlet fitting. i then re-installed the barbed fitting and the hose. now i can get all but about 1 gallon of water out of the tank.

js700

Thanks for the reply Thomasinnv...but if the tank still showed it was a 1/3 full and I checked the drain hose on the bottom of the coach and it was out of water (no water draining) In theory it should of been completely empty. I assume that the drain hose for the fresh water tank will completely drain it right??

thomasinnv

no. the drain hose for the fresh water tank comes off of the same outlet as the pump. it is not on the bottom of the tank, it is on the side.

js700

ok, now I am confused...When I did my PDI with the dealer they told me that the hose on the bottom of the coach just underneath where the power plug is was to totally drian the fresh water tank....I guess they were a little off base. If I wanted to drain my tank completely is that possible???...............Jim

thomasinnv

the only way to completely drain ALL of the water from the tank would be to install an outlet in the center of the bottom of the tank where it sags and install another drain. contrary to popular beleif, the guys that do the PDI really don't know any intimate details about your trailer. they often are the source of much mis information.

porthole

Retired
no. the drain hose for the fresh water tank comes off of the same outlet as the pump. it is not on the bottom of the tank, it is on the side.

Forward tank has a crossover hose about in the middle of the two tanks. The fittings for this hose are such so that "hole" is about 2-2.5" off the bottom of the tank. This leaves that amount of water in the forward tank.

The rear tank has an outlet connection very near the bottom on the left side wall-forward area of the tank. This is low and small enough that it allows most of the water to be usable in the rear tank, as well as draining the tank.

The crossover will not allow the forward tank to either drain completely or drain into the rear tank.

Last edited:

combine_billy

Forward tank has a crossover hose about in the middle of the two tanks. The fittings for this hose are such so that "hole" is about 2-2.5" off the bottom of the tank. This leaves that amount of water in the forward tank.

The rear tank has an outlet connection very near the bottom on the left side wall-forward area of the tank. This is low and small enough that it allows most of the water to be usable in the rear tank, as well as draining the tank.

The crossover will not allow the forward tank to either drain completely or drain into the rear tank.

crazy... not sure why they can't re-engineer this

I have had my unit in the shop twice now for water problems. A water system from the factory that you can't fill all the way or empty all the way is nuts.

porthole

Retired
crazy... not sure why they can't re-engineer this

I agree with that, my 1980 boat has 4 30 gallon tanks and I can fill all four to the top and use all but whatever is actually laying on the bottom of the 4 tanks.

But my boat tanks have the inlets and outlets molded right into the tank.
The tank discharges are actually formed slightly below the bottom of the tanks so they drain completely.

I do have a 15 gallon roto tank for oil that has the same issue as the trailer tanks, e.g. fitting location.

I have an idea to solve my issue, but I haven't found the fittings yet.

With that tank I used a piece of copper tubing bent into a "J" though the fitting. Hard to explain but it works good.

mdhill

Hello...I have a new 2010 Cyclone 3010 and this past weekend I was able to use all the appliances in the toy hauler. I kept an eye on the fresh water tank and at 1/3 full I lost water pressure in the coach. I went outside and checked the drain hose for the fresh water tank, opened the valve and it ran for 5 secs and then was just dripping. I figured the fresh water was emptied due to I dumped the grey tank twice and holding tank once. I know that it will be covered under warranty but was wondering is there a level pot they can adjust or does the tank have to be dropped? I see that there was a similar post on a 3850 that they remounted the tank on a angle....thanks ....Jim

Just got my 3850 from shop with water problems. They discovered just as
everyone that inspected their units water tanks that the tanks cant be
drained completely. The draw ports are on the sides :eek:. My water gauge
is always showing 1/3 full because the water is covering the 1/3 sensor.
That works great...not.
Now I am concerned about health issues. We seldom dry camp. So when
we do I will be adding water to water that has been sitting in the tank
for maybe over a year. If you run bleach in system you wont be able to
get the bleach water out as about 20 to 25 gallons will always stay in the
tanks.
Dealer is going to call Heartland for a fix. Dealer thought adding a fitting
to the bottom of the tanks might work but is worried about fitting holding
since walls are thin. We will see what Heartland wants to do about it.

porthole

Retired
I'm big on using our own water when we can, helps keep "sensitive systems" in check, especially with the dogs.

I bring at least a half tank of fresh with us wherever we go, and on trips like this past week I fill it up.

I'm hoping to come up with a solution to use or at least be able to drain all the water.

The toughest part is getting fittings into the tank.

porthole

Retired
This is during our last "no-hookup" trip.

New math :D

Started out with the holding tanks very empty and the fresh full.

Attachments

• D30_5293.JPG
    D30_5293.JPG
    528.3 KB · Views: 123

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
This is during our last "no-hookup" trip.

New math :D

Started out with the holding tanks very empty and the fresh full.

Your gages look like mine, after dumping, flushing, dumping again. I've given up on them. These sensors/gages look interesting, if you're inclined to crawl around in the belly of the beast. Anybody tried them?

http://www.rvgauge.com/

js700

Thanks everyone for chiming in on the water issue, hopefully we will get some kind of fix or help from the factory. Seems like there is a lot knowledge that can be gained on this issue.....Jim

combine_billy

I should of posted a pic of mine last Monday. After 5 days of dry camping with 4 people my fresh water read full, black 2/3 full, and both grey tanks were full. Must be one huge fresh water tank!!

imchud

Your gages look like mine, after dumping, flushing, dumping again. I've given up on them. These sensors/gages look interesting, if you're inclined to crawl around in the belly of the beast. Anybody tried them?
http://www.rvgauge.com/

I haven't tried them but then I don't pay attention to mine anymore. My rig is level as i can get it, it's even sitting on a cement pad... at the beginning of the season the gauges worked fine, now they always say 1/3 to 2/3 full, its strange because my grey tanks valves are always open:confused:. I doubt there is still water left in the tanks, but one never knows for sure.

Tommy

rtataryn

I'm following this thread closely, as I'm having the same issues with my new 3010. I figure I've got about 20 to 30 gallons that I can't use or remove. Besides the health concerns already mentioned with standing water in the tank, pretty soon I'll be needing to winterize my unit. I figure once I put RV antifreeze in the fresh tank(s) there will be no getting it all out next spring. Sounds like many of us need a solution to the same problem here. I'm willing to do the work myself . . . I'm just not sure what exactly is the best solution for it. This has been brought up on "Ask the Factory", but so far I've not seen a response. Any ideas Jim or Mike???