Cyclone 300C Tires Question

Glider

Since I am new to this forum and a new owner of a 2013 300c I'm sure there has been posts and questions about this but thought I'd get others opinions. We recently took our new hauler out for a few days and of course had a list of items that needed repaired. After picking the unit back up from the dealership I brought it home to clean it up, thought I should check the tire pressure since it was home. As I was looking for the recommended tire pressure I noticed the tires Heartland put on my camper were 6 ply tires rated at 3080 lbs at 80 psi. Now I'm not the smartest guy in the world but quickly doing the math realized that based on that the load rating would be 12,320lbs. Knowing my hauler dry weighs almost 12000 lbs needless to say I was concerned. Thinking maybe when my camper was built the guy putting the tires on grabbed from the wrong stack I called my dealer. Dealer didnt have a answer but said they would call Heartland and ask the question, hour later received a call direct from Heartland. Answer I got was that they have had no problems with the tires "at all", that there is a formula they used to come up with that says they are weight rated correct because not all the weight is on the tires which I understand. During the conversation the person from Heartland admitted he didnt know why they don't install a 10 ply tire and that the costs wouldnt be much more. I then asked the question what happens when I blow one of these 6 ply tires and it tears the side of my new hauler off? Heartland tells me I have to take it up with the tire company! Hear is my question to you folks. My family and I are getting ready to head out on a 2000 mile trip, I am having a hard time with these tires that came on my new hauler, should I go ahead and spend the money and upgrade to the 10 ply tires or run the ones the factory says have not been a issue? Thanks for any input!

GOTTOYS

Not all of the weight is on the tires. Approximately 20% is carried on the hitch. If it was my trailer I would prefer the load range E tires but what you have should be adequate, except...They are probably the junk Chinese made tires that come with an American sounding name that all the manufacturers use. I like to call them delivery and display tires...Plenty of talk on this and many other RV forums about that issue. If it's a lighter trailer you may have good luck with them. Heartland like all the others buys these tires in bulk and puts them on the trailer. The warranty, if any, comes from the supplier of the tires, not Heartland. So...you pays your money, you takes your chances. I would suggest doing some homework and making your own decision as to what tires to use. That's what I did....JMHO..Don

Lynn1130

Do a search here for Power King Tow Max, if that is what you have on the trailer. I had one throw the tread with 3K miles on it and do $1800 worth of damage to the trailer. It took 3 months to get the tire company (who shall remain nameless here) to correct the resulting problem. Those "Chinese Bombs" as some call them are no longer on my trailer. They were replace within 2 hours of the failure. I now have 10 ply Coopers on the rig.

Last edited:

Urban350

Your trailer should have 2 7000lbs axles and tires to match probably towmax 3520lbs tires. Check the sticker on the left frt. corner of the trailer. I would phone Heartland myself to confirm that you do indeed have the right tires. In my opinion they are wrong for the trailer.

TeJay

Glider,
Let make this as simple as I can. Just last week I talked with a tech at the RV dealer shop. I made the statement that the two weakest links on TT's are the wheel bearings and the tires. He agreed with me. We just ordered a new unit. It will have 2- 3,500 axles. The TT weighs about 5,800 lbs. If we load 1,000 lbs of stuff we have only 200 lbs of margin before we will stress the bearing and tires. Also consider the fact that you will always be traveling close to your limits. Yes the hitch will carry some of that load but why would you want travel so close to the maximum weight allowed??? It makes no sense to me. The manufacturer may be correct that they have a formula. Then why do I read about so many people having tire and bearing problems. They are also concerned about the bottom line which they have to be. I think they should offer upgrades for those that are willing to pay for the extra margin. I checked on line and the difference between 3,500 LB and 4,000 LB axles was only about $200 at most. The 4-K axles also had 15" rims. That's little to pay for that kind of upgrade. I asked and was told that the upgraded axles are at a different location.

I have 35 years teaching automotive and I don't want to travel unless I know things are as safe as I can get them. Just today I talked with a guy at a Goodyear tire store and got his opinion concerning trailer tires. He has over 40 years experience in the industry. Our new TT will have 14" tires. The ST205/75R14 is rated at 1760. The ST215/75R14 is rated at 1870. That's a C rated tire. They don't make any better rated tires in 14". So my capacity is either 7040 or 7480 LB's limits. I don't yet know which tire we will have but I'll bet it's the 205. I'll take the 205's up to Goodyear and he'll sell them. Then I'll get the 215's.

There have been many discussions concerning tires. Many swear by the LT and others swear by the ST. Here's what I found out today. Carlisle makes a tire called the, "Carlisle Radial Trailer RH." According to what I was told the ST tire if it has an extra layer of nylon under the tread and if you get a slow leak the tire will begin to heat up. The nylon cord will heat up and shrink keeping the tires shape longer thereby reducing the chance of the tire coming apart. It's not a guarantee but it will help. I am also going to get a TPMS which will give me temperature and low tire warnings. I believe what I was told because I've known the guy for 30 years and he is honest as the day is long. Google the Carlisle tire mentioned and check it out for yourself. Because you probably have 15 or 16" rims you could go with a higher rated tire D or E or even higher to give you the safety margin you want. Maybe because the tires you currently have are almost new a dealer could sell them for you. This same guy sold my first TT tires for $200 which reduced my overall cost for the new ones.

I hope this information is helpful. That's my only intent in posting on this forum.

TeJay

Glider

Urban350
I did talk to Heartland and they say the tires on it are correct. Wondering what came on your 300c? I talked to a local tire shop and they said I might want to look at a 10 ply. He Recommended the Carlise tire but said that just about all trailer tires are made in China or Mexico now days.

Urban350

Glider
Just a thought maybe whoever you talked to @ Heartland thought you had a triple axle trailer. I would check also to see if you have 7000lbs axles under your trailer. Mine came with 2 7000lbs axles and Towmax tires rated for 3520lbs. @ 80psi. The 300c is to heavy for 6000lbs axles and load range C tires in my opinion. Is there a sticker on the outside of your trailer somewhere with the ratings?

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Interesting topic here. According to HL website the Cyclone 300c has a GVWR of 14000, and a hitch weight 2800. It has 2 7K axles and ST235/80R16-E rated tires.

However, our ElkRidge has GVWR of
14,350, and a hitch weight 2348. But it comes with 2 6K axles
and ST235/80R16-E rated tires. (we upgraded ours to 7K).

Is this because the ElkRidge carries more on the pin, vs a Cyclone that will carry most weight on the axles? I'm confused.

Regardless, the 300c it seems like it should have E-rated tires, based on the weights.

GOTTOYS

Urban350
I did talk to Heartland and they say the tires on it are correct. Wondering what came on your 300c? I talked to a local tire shop and they said I might want to look at a 10 ply. He Recommended the Carlise tire but said that just about all trailer tires are made in China or Mexico now days.
Before you decide to buy anything..do an internet search and see what kind of track record they have...Don

TeJay

I have been reading this forum for 2 years now and have often read about people upgrading their rigs to a heavier axle and tires because of tire,bearings, spring and bushing failures or near failures. These problems may be the exception rather than the rule but if you're the one that has the problem you're upset and out some more $$$$ unless it's covered under warranty. From what I've read most manufacturers will put the minimum tire and suspension that they can get away with so they can save a buck. I don't blame them because they have to make a profit. This has also created another industry to upgrade these units. Let the buyer beware. Increase your suspension capabilities to protect yourself from on the road delays and repairs away from your dealer. In my earlier post I told you what I'll do: Get the highest rated tire I can. One that gets good rating on the net from people that have used them and change the bearing to a better grade bearing and use synthetic lubrication either Amzoi, Mobil 1 or Red Line CU-2. The Red Line brand is new to me but has come highly recommended.

TeJay

TireHobby

Urban350

Here is the weights & measures specs for the 300C. According to them you have two 7000# axles that should be equipped with ST235/80R16E tires rated at 3520# @ 80 psi. (IMO not nearly enough tire).

http://www.heartlandrvs.com/index.php?p=35&c=toyhaulers&sc=CYC&view=specs

Toy Haulers clearly need lots of reserve load capacity in their tires. The nature of the vehicle screams for it. Bite the bullet and start researching 17.5” tire & rim configurations.

TireHobby

Urban350

Was anything done about the tires, just curious as I finaly weight my trailer and loaded I hate to say this but I was almost 100lbs over on both axles (7100lbs).

vakthund

Is this because the ElkRidge carries more on the pin, vs a Cyclone that will carry most weight on the axles?
It is because the Cyclone is a toy hauler. There is very little you can do in your ElkRidge to significantly affect weight distribution (weight on axle and pin) but this is not the case on the toy hauler. Imagine if someone puts 2,000 lb of stuff in the garage of the toy hauler. Not only will the total weight increase by 2,000 lb but it will take about 1,500 lb off the pin as well increasing the axle load by 3,500 lb. The Cyclone may have a hitch weight of 2,800 lb but not when the garage is loaded to the max.