Cyclone 3800HD Switching Issues

We have just bought a new to us 2012 3800HD and the generator fires up and runs,but will not power anything inside the coach. I have heard about a switch that is suppose to kick in when the genset fire us. Can anybody point me in the right direction on where to find it and is it something a reasonbly mechanically inclined person can swap out or a RV Tech might be a better idea.

Thank you In Advance

hoefler

You need to find the transfer switch, you can trace the largest cable coming out of the breaker box to the transfer switch. You will have 3 cables going into it.

david-steph2018

As LBR mentioned, if the generator is a 5500, there should be 2 breakers on the front near the start switch. One breaker would be a 30 amp, the other breaker would be a 20 amp. Make sure these are working. But to answer your question the transfer switch should be behind the basement wall. It will have as said, 3 cables, one from your shore power, one from the generator and the output to the breaker box. MAKE SURE you disconnect ALL power before you open it up and start on it.
On our Road Warrior the generator is the primary supply. If the transfer switch senses power from the generator, it switches to the generator. We had the transfer switch start acting up on us in January 2020 and I had to replace it.

Well it turned out be a combination of issues. The circuit breakers at the front of the genset were weak and also the switch had some rodent damage. Quick run to Cummins got 2 new breakers and some quality time with wire strippers and connectors and shrink tube got that issue fixed. Also picked up a new fuel pump and filter and gonna service the rest of it.
Thank you all for your help and input..