Cyclone - Back up camera

Remastoy

My 2018 Cyclone 4200 comes prewired for back up camera. What is the best system to install in my coach? Should it be wireless? Where can I find a schematic for the wiring?

Oregon_Camper

I think most of the folks here will agree the Furrion Observation camera/monitor is one of the best.

I just installed mine two weeks ago and used it for the first time over Memorial Day Weekend. I was blown away! It worked flawlessly at 70mph.

I was NOT pre-wired. Install took about 20-25 minutes. I just popped out the center rear light...measured for the hole and snaked wires inside. Took power from rear center light and was done.

Link to Amazon

Furrion Camera.jpg

Last edited:

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
I think most of the folks here will agree the Furrion Observation camera/monitor is one of the best.

I just installed mine two weeks ago and used it for the first time over Memorial Day Weekend. I was blown away! It worked flawlessly at 70mph.

I was NOT pre-wired. Install took about 20-25 minutes. I just popped out the rear lights...measured for the hole and snaked wires inside. Took power from rear lights and was done.

Link to Amazon

View attachment 52094

This is a pretty amazing camera. We love ours.

fe2824f164a865422379c2efd6c8e3c8.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Remastoy

:cool: Thanks for all your input, I talked to Furrion direct and was advised to get the observation model FOS48TA-BL. Heartland sent me a link to furrion as well. Found a good deal on Amazon for it. I will advise you all as to how it works out when I install it. Thanks again

Rick

Oregon_Camper

:cool: Thanks for all your input, I talked to Furrion direct and was advised to get the observation model FOS48TA-BL. Heartland sent me a link to furrion as well. Found a good deal on Amazon for it. I will advise you all as to how it works out when I install it. Thanks again

Rick

Ah...I see the only difference in the one I linked (FOS48TABK-BL) and the one you bought (FOS48TA-BL) is the one you bought has no mounting bracket, as you already have that. You're a wise shopper!

I probably would have missed that and ended up with a spare mount....but as my Bighorn didn't have it from the factory, it all worked out.

I installed the same camera in my RV. Mine would occasionally loose connectivity but it would reconnect within a minute. I replaced the antenna based on recommendations here, it only cost $10 and now it works flawlessly. If you have any problem with loosing the signal be sure to come back and post here and I'll give you the information on the replacement antenna. It was a breeze to replace, unscrew the old one and screw in the new one in, that simple.

pjones1969

I installed the same camera in my RV. Mine would occasionally loose connectivity but it would reconnect within a minute. I replaced the antenna based on recommendations here, it only cost $10 and now it works flawlessly. If you have any problem with loosing the signal be sure to come back and post here and I'll give you the information on the replacement antenna. It was a breeze to replace, unscrew the old one and screw in the new one in, that simple.

Same here, I'd like the info on the antenna, thanks

pjones1969

Thanks, that's the same one I have had in my cart for a few weeks now, lol

Here's the antenna I saw recommended here:

Alfa 9dBi WiFi Booster SMA OMNI-Directional High-Gain Screw-On Swivel Antenna for D-Link https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002MUU6L4/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_gbnqMvB4AEd3z

We added it, just because we already have a lot of electronics going on on the truck. You can see it on the back here:

I added a little plastic clamp to hold it upright close to the rig. Don't know if it's really needed.

I installed this same booster antenna on my RV and it works great. No more losing connection!!!

Last edited:

pjones1969

Thanks and my wife will thank you too since there's a bunch more "forum finds" items in that cart, haha

Alan_B

I installed the Furrion wireless observation camera a few weeks ago (very easy install, even without the factory camera prep).

As you can see from the photo, the camera is installed on the rear cap below the center marker light. Good placement for height and power access. However the surface is not completely vertical, instead angling back slightly.

As I drive more with the camera, I realize that I should tip the camera up more, to get a longer view rearward. The camera does adjust up, but is presently at its max upward tilt.

So next step, back up on the ladder to adjust the whole bracket. I will probably loosen the four mounting screws and put some spacer under the bottom lip. Once I get the angle I want, add some small amount of silicone sealer around the bracket housing.

IMG_2850.jpg

pjones1969

Same here, I'd like the info on the antenna, thanks

Well, I've got to tell a story on myself, I bought the "better" antenna, upon screwing the other one off I twisted the antenna wire in half inside the housing, of course I had to tinker with it and try repairing it, three or four attempts and each time I thought "I got it this time".....I could only get reception when I was beside or behind the trailer but once I moved to the hooked up position.....nothing, ughhhh, I really loved my rear view camera!! Of course I decided to to do this right before a 250 mile trip, so I missed my camera the entire trip, still had the monitor up hoping for a miracle and I would get a glimpse here and there, and I finally figured out that when I went under an overpass is when it would occur so I tell myself the signal is bouncing off of the overpass, sounded good to me but unfortunately there are not enough of them on TX35 southbound. So, I search the net and end up buying another antenna pigtail for a wireless router off of Amazon (2 for $4.99) and watch every YouTube video possible so I can try and splice this together......After several more attempts, low and behold, I get the same results, ughhhh, I really want my camera back. So I call Furrion and inquire about a repair, no dice, no service repair centers, they offer to sell me what I need, which is a new camera, in the housing with an antenna.......so I call one of those WeFixIt places, explain the repair and of course get the "if it can be done we can do it" sales pitches, but I think, ok, I can dump another $50 in this thing and still not get it fixed or just buy a new one, so I buy the new camera in the housing with a new old style antenna for 84.99 plus shipping.... wife says "Do Not Mess With It This Time!!!", I think she misses it too

So that's my story, I'm sticking to it.......I have a new and improved antenna in my truck door side pocket, if you see me somewhere, just ask, it's yours for free but I'm not installing it for you.