Cyclone sidewall crack repair

jmarnell

Returning from our last RV trip to Southern California for Christmas, we hit a large hole in the road on I-10 south of Phoenix. We didn't see any damage initially, but when we reached home we discovered a crack in the outer sidewall at the corner of the large living room slideout. It hit so hard that it also knocked one wheel out of alignment, and the inside of the tire was worn smooth by the time we got home. Our rig is over 5 years old and out of warranty, but luckily since it was an incident on the highway our insurance covered the repairs. The body shop removed the slideout and found the aluminum wall framing cracked at the corner, and their tech noted the poor original welding job at that stress point. He re-welded the joint, and added additional bracing to strengthen the corner so hopefully it won't happen again. Now we have to get it to an alignment shop to get the wheel adjusted, which hopefully will just be an adjustment to the MorRyde independent suspension system and not have more damage to repair. Whew, we are so glad our insurance covered it because it was definitely not an inexpensive repair.
20230127_200308404_iOS.jpg
20230210_151721882_iOS.jpg123_1.jpg

david-steph2018

We had a shop in Buckeye, Az., west of Phoenix, do an alignment for us on the IS System in February 2021. The guy is an authorized IS System tech.

Did you also check the outriggers on the bottom of the slide? We had a sidewall crack on our Road Warrior, luckily under the 3 -year warranty period. When the slide came out for the work, we seen that 2 outriggers were bent. One of these, had actually collapsed on itself. The other was bent a little. Our welder straightens it, then matted another outrigger to both of these damaged ones.

The place in Buckeye is MorRyde Mobile Alignment Buckeye Arizona
602-568-3923

jmarnell

Here is a PDF of MorRyde service Centers:

Thanks for the list! I had looked before and unfortunately there aren't any alignment centers on MorRyde's list in Oklahoma. But the body shop that repaired the crack recommended an alignment shop in Tulsa that has been in business for almost 100 years, and they do RV's as well as big semi's and trailers. I'm going to check with them and see if they have done work on these IS systems. If not, the closest I can find is just over 2 hours away in Kansas.

On the outriggers on the slideout, the shop inspected everything and thankfully there wasn't any other damage. My wife and I think the slideout is actually working smoother now than it ever has before, probably because the shop did a good job adjusting everything carefully when they reinstalled the slideout.

david-steph2018

On I-10 south of Phoenix have they started on the road widening project yet? Last winter, February - March 2022, while we were in Phoenix it was TV about starting to go to 3-lanes down to Casa Grande. It was supposed to start at Wild Horse Pass, where the NHRA Dragway is located.

david-steph2018

When we had to have realignment done, the guy ordered shims from MorRyde, so they could ship everything in one box. These shims are different and designed just for the IS System. If you need new/replacement shims, I will wonder if a different shop would have these in stock.
So, myself, I will consider just sticking with an authorized shop.

jmarnell

On I-10 south of Phoenix have they started on the road widening project yet? Last winter, February - March 2022, while we were in Phoenix it was TV about starting to go to 3-lanes down to Casa Grande. It was supposed to start at Wild Horse Pass, where the NHRA Dragway is located.
I don't recall seeing any construction through that area, so they probably haven't started the widening yet.