Damage repair

So, my husband I I purchased a 2022 Heartland Pioneer 270BH travel trailer in September 2021. In January 2022, it was hit by a snowplow as it sat in winter storage, ripping a hole in the bedroom wall, damaging the power awning, severing the main power wire and probably more. It's been at the dealer service shop for 3 weeks and they tell me they are waiting for Heartland to give them pricing on the parts we need. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is Heartland responsive to thier dealers fur service estimates? We really want to know if we will have our camper this season and are eager to wrap up the insurance claim.

Edit 3/8/22: It was not totaled, per the estimate ($11,095.00). It IS stored indoors at the dealership. I'm told that the dealership does NOT splice wiring, so it will be rewired. And the Pioneer has aluminum siding, which is reportedly easier to repair. The dealership service manager assured me that because this model is currently in production here in the USA, getting parts shouldn't take too long. We didn't involve our insurance right away because we (innocently) believed that the plow driver's insurance would take care of things ... NOT! They wanted us to sign a release of liability for any supplemental damage over and above the estimate. We are not idiots, so we did not sign. We initiated a claim with your own insurance, who have been wonderful and they will go after the other insurance company for reimbursement. Repairs should begin by the end of the week (hopefully). Luckily, we only have a $200 deductible - I didn't know it was so low and thought our insurance payments was rather high, but it paid off right away, so that's a good thing I guess.

Last edited:

sengli

Wow by the sounds of it, it f it were mine, I would like to see it totaled. Ripping a whole in the wall sounds pretty bad enough to me, let alone all the other damage. Right now is far worse than normal, due to the fact parts shortages are a major issue with the RV industry these days. I have read on here numerous threads that getting the parts can and will take some time(months) to actually show up. My first thought is the squeaky wheel gets the oil, you might need to intervein.

Dahillbilly

I would call Heartland customer service with the last six numbers of your VIN & ask if the dealer has contacted them regarding the repairs. Your insurance company may have an adjuster check into it also.

mlpeloquin

They maybe waiting for parts cost estimate for the repair. Is your insurance company involved? I would talk my insurance company about it. Will they guarantee that there isn't any hidden damage like weakened I-beams and have a failure down the road? Just how much twisting on the structure occurred and transferred to them? I-beams do crack. I found one in mine caused by a spring hanger breaking. This transferred the stress when the fifth wheel dropped down to the opposite side and near and below the I-beam support and cracked the I-Beam. All was repaired by a great certified master welder. Could welds in the steal wall beams have gotten weakened only to be snapped free later and pop out pushing a huge bulge on your exterior side wall? Will your insurance company guarantee this won't happen and cover it without cost to you years down the road. It has and does happen. I don't even address the electrical. All wiring envolved need to be replaced, not repaired. It should be totaled.

rhodies1

Agree with everyone’s comments on damage and hidden damage. My biggest concern if it were my unit,I would be very very concerned about how much water has entered the unit ,not just at the site where it was stored but sitting at the dealers location.Is it inside or outside..I would be discussing with insurance to right off,they can go after the plow operator for restitution.
You may have to be a little assertive with the insurance,don’t take no for an answer.

Last edited:

david-steph2018

So, my husband I I purchased a 2022 Heartland Pioneer 270BH travel trailer in September 2021. In January 2022, it was hit by a snowplow as it sat in winter storage, ripping a hole in the bedroom wall, damaging the power awning, severing the main power wire and probably more. It's been at the dealer service shop for 3 weeks and they tell me they are waiting for Heatland to give them pricing on the parts we need. Has anyone had any experience with this? Is Heartland responsive to thier dealers fur service estimates? We really want to know if we will have our camper this season and are eager to wrap up the insurance claim.
As suggested call Heartland and ask if anything has been turned in by the dealer. But I would think the insurance adjuster would have the ability to look up the price of the parts and have an estimate in mind, before the dealer calls and tells them how much to fix. But I would be concerned about any internal wall damage to the framing.
Are you sure the dealer has even looked at it, to write up the parts needed for repair? Sometimes you take the unit to the dealer as scheduled, but they put it in storage then into rotation to look at what needs repaired. Then get in touch with the manufacturer for parts pricing, then order the parts, then when the parts arrive put it back in rotation to work on it. This can be, and it is, a several week process for repair work at a dealer.

In all of this, who was the snowplow operator, they could be forced to pay for the damage, unless it is a relative?

As suggested call Heartland and ask if anything has been turned in by the dealer. But I would think the insurance adjuster would have the ability to look up the price of the parts and have an estimate in mind, before the dealer calls and tells them how much to fix. But I would be concerned about any internal wall damage to the framing.
Are you sure the dealer has even looked at it, to write up the parts needed for repair? Sometimes you take the unit to the dealer as scheduled, but they put it in storage then into rotation to look at what needs repaired. Then get in touch with the manufacturer for parts pricing, then order the parts, then when the parts arrive put it back in rotation to work on it. This can be, and it is, a several week process for repair work at a dealer.

In all of this, who was the snowplow operator, they could be forced to pay for the damage, unless it is a relative?
It was not a relative, just a company contracted by the lot where our camper was in winter storage. His insurance company tried to get us to sign a release of liability for supplemental damage over and above the estimate. We are not idiots, so we didn't sign it and got our own insurance company involved. Hopefully repairs will begin this week, or at least they will order the needed parts. Thank you for your response. What a nightmare for our brand new travel trailer!

david-steph2018

One time we were hit by an uninsured driver; the insurance paid for everything then went after the owner of the car. In the end we did not have to pay the deductible. The insurance company reimbursed us. So maybe they will also do this for you since they will go after the other insurance company. Ask if they will.