Dang Squirrels!

NYSUPstater

So we have an oak tree in front lawn that we planted back in '95. For the past several years now that it producing acorns, the dang varmints climb up it and chew the tips of the branches off to get the acorns. Tips are like the new growth of the year so to speak. Live in a development where I really can't shoot them and have trapped some and released them someplace else. Needless to say, IMO it's like they are killing/defoliating the tree. Getting so there quite a few bare spots. I could care less if they want the acorns. Any suggestions on how to prevent them from doing damage?

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You will never stop those critters. If you get rid of the current vandals it won't be long before a new group moves in.
I've had a bunch that have died of lead poisoning only to be replaced a few months later. They breed often so there is no shortage of replacements.
And I doubt they will harm the trees. It's just what they do.

Peace
Dave

Dahillbilly

wrap the trunk of the tree with wide band of smooth steel/ alumium six to eight feet up. Make the band about 2 feet wide. This prevents them from climbing the tree. As the tree grows you'll have to re-install the band.

Good luck

Flick

So we have an oak tree in front lawn that we planted back in '95. For the past several years now that it producing acorns, the dang varmints climb up it and chew the tips of the branches off to get the acorns. Tips are like the new growth of the year so to speak. Live in a development where I really can't shoot them and have trapped some and released them someplace else. Needless to say, IMO it's like they are killing/defoliating the tree. Getting so there quite a few bare spots. I could care less if they want the acorns. Any suggestions on how to prevent them from doing damage?

Our country squirrels don’t like opera music. You may want to try that.

wdk450

wrap the trunk of the tree with wide band of smooth steel/ alumium six to eight feet up. Make the band about 2 feet wide. This prevents them from climbing the tree. As the tree grows you'll have to re-install the band.

Good luck

I have seen this wide metal band solution used here in California on palm trees to keep the rat population down by keeping them out of out of the dates.

dewwood

Wrapping the trunk will work if there are not any other trees around. The squirrels will leap from tree to tree in the branches. We have some pesky red squirrels that can get out of range so fast they are hard to keep a reasonable population.

Bob.jr

You might try an owl decoy.
It's a squirrel natural predators
I've seen them for sale in Lowes garden department.

Fox

Getting rid of the food source is easier than getting rid of the critters.
Unless they develop an appetite for your vehicles wiring - this past July I had $400 in damages for their eating my F350 air conditioners harness.

Lou_and_Bette

Had a “Southern” pest control man, tell a neighbor that he would stop her squirrel problem and quoted a price. He then captured and/or killed several squirrels. He then nailed these bodies on the non-visible side of several perimeter trees. No more squirrel problem.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
You might try an owl decoy.
It's a squirrel natural predators
I've seen them for sale in Lowes garden department.
Just had to reply here. I bought a plastic owl just to prove a point.
Point is they know the difference between a plastic owl and a real owl.

Peace
Dave
0122bb4488dee7ad43a6d6a1e8de9f22.jpg

Sent from my Galaxy S-21 Ultra using Tapatalk