Dash Cameras

olcoon

This is a little of subject, but does anyone know anything about Garmin's back up camera? Going to be buying their RV GPS soon, and they have a bundle that includes the camera.

jbeletti

This is a little of subject, but does anyone know anything about Garmin's back up camera? Going to be buying their RV GPS soon, and they have a bundle that includes the camera.

Roy - I think you are talking about the wireless camera that can transmit to the Garmin GPS, like we used to offer for Landmark.

I had one. Actually - have it now for a few more days until I turn this coach back in. Compared to the Voyager, I prefer the Voyager. Bear in mind I have Garmin's 1st generation product, now going on 2 years old. My feedback to them at that time was that they need to add:
1. Audio
2. Infra Red LEDs for nightvision

I feel strongly about Audio for RV backup cameras. It's great to be able to hear your spotter as he/she backs you in. This all said, Garmin's offering may be improved from what I have.

olcoon

Jim, is the one you've got the same as Ken & Kathy Adams have? I saw them backing into their site in Goshen 2 yrs ago & thought she'd gone crazy, or was cussing Ken. Had to ask her & she told me about their camera. I was pretty impressed with it.

olcoon

I'm kind of thinking it may be. I told Sally about it, and told her not to forget the name of it, and now she can't remember it. I guess she's getting old...I can't rely on her memory much at all anymore!!!!:rolleyes:

porthole

Retired
OK, thanks to Handbrake the video is cut down from 4 minutes to 40 seconds

What the video doesn't show is how close the white car actually came to me and my maneuver up to the curb avoiding her. I am really surprised she did not tag at least the dually fender. After passing me she went another 100' or so ending up on a front yard with the tire blowing out from the curb impact.

And the dirt bag tried saying the white car came out of the side street!

http://youtu.be/6jxVzzaWvHI

Last edited:

porthole

Retired
For what it's worth, I think I found my next Dash Camera - the Lukas 7950 WD.

That looks like it solves multiple issues. I like the ability to use the phone as a screen for backing to hitch up. And did you notice you can do a OBD II display on the front unit's screen?

Can't find any pricing yet, did you?

porthole

Retired
Duane,

Download and install Handbrake (free), then convert the AVI to MP4. Open in Quicktime, trim and save. I just did a test with Handbrake to convert an AVI to MP4 and it worked. I was able to open it in Quicktime.

View attachment 34892

I could not get the converted video to open in quicktime. But I just did the trimming in iMovie.

One thing my clip shows is I seldom slow down for speed bumps when driving solo :rolleyes:

jbeletti

I could not get the converted video to open in quicktime. But I just did the trimming in iMovie.

One thing my clip shows is I seldom slow down for speed bumps when driving solo :rolleyes:

Cool - glad you now have a process for trimming.

I just found that VLC can do conversions. I was able to convert a camera AVI file to M4V and open it in Quicktime. Trouble is that I lost the audio track. I suppose trying various codecs/settings in the VLC conversion could regain audio.

VLCScreenSnapz002.jpg VLCScreenSnapz001.jpg

brianharrison

Last edited:

ILH

Has anyone looked at the BlackVue products? I am looking at the two channel DR650GW, or the single channel DR600GW. Dual channel is about $350 today on Amazon.

Here is a quick youtube on the two.

Looking for comparison thoughts vs the Lukas?

Brian

EDIT Found the Lukas 7950 WD here in Canada for $390.00 CDN. Pre order only, it appears. I do like the OBDII connect-ability. Unfortunately I have a tuner/digital gauges already using the ODBII :(

Brian,

Check out the price of that unit on Newegg.ca (not the US site). They have a combo deal right now.

brianharrison

For what it's worth, I think I found my next Dash Camera - the Lukas 7950 WD.

Jim (and Duane if you read this),

Do you have a device currently using your OBDII and given consideration to splitting the signal to two devices that would share the OBDII port? ie - LuKas 7950WD and digital gauges?

I read conflicting information in the reviews of the Amazon OBDII splitter that two devices cannot "share" OBDports. Any thoughts? Duane? from your past life and knowledgeable research?

I like the idea of a ribbon cord splitter (vs heavy duty corded ones) for ease of hiding the bulky splitter in my footwell.

Looking forward to your comments.
Brian

porthole

Retired
Brian, I haven't looked at too many OBD devices yet as I just don't have a need to anymore. That said, I do carry a reader in the truck in case I get a code or truck issue. Not that I can do much on the road, but it is nice to know. And in experimenting I intentionally ran my DEF down all the way to see what happens. Know what happens? When you run dry you get a pump code that sets the truck into reduced output, that can only be reset by the OBD.

I would not bother with the gauge thing if I had to have it wired. I have been researching the wireless OBD II units, both BlueTooth and WiFi. I have found at least one device and App now that has my interest. I have an extra iPhone here and an iPod which could work as a display.

But, the camera Jim linked to really has my curiosity piqued. If it works well, it would eliminate one more display.

I have not had the opportunity to split the OBD signal, so I don't have an answer for you.

I like the Palmer Engineering APP from at least what I can see on their website. I contacted them with reference to my truck, "I" products and their app, and one of the engineers told me that he personally uses this wireless dongle for his iPhone.

http://www.palmerperformance.com/store/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=90

brianharrison

Thanks Duane, I have a wired OBD2 H&S tuner/digital gauge as I have removed DPF and disabled EGR on my 6.4. It really livens up the engine and eliminates that darn regen process.

I have ordered the Lukas 7950HD (2Ch) here in Canada ($390 CDN) and inquired about the ODB connector (it is optional, does not come with the 7950). I also ordered a small form factor Blackvue DR650GW 2Ch for my car, so I will compare the two.

I have ordered the ODB ribbon splitter and will test the two devices (H&S tuner/gauges and Lukas 7950 OBD connector) if and when I hear back from the Lukas rep here in western Canada.

I'll post back when I get the comparison done.

Brian

jbeletti

OK, thanks to Handbrake the video is cut down from 4 minutes to 40 seconds

What the video doesn't show is how close the white car actually came to me and my maneuver up to the curb avoiding her. I am really surprised she did not tag at least the dually fender. After passing me she went another 100' or so ending up on a front yard with the tire blowing out from the curb impact.

And the dirt bag tried saying the white car came out of the side street!

http://youtu.be/0WpfRGNEC9s

Wow - the video evidence is pretty compelling.

jbeletti

Jim (and Duane if you read this),

Do you have a device currently using your OBDII and given consideration to splitting the signal to two devices that would share the OBDII port? ie - LuKas 7950WD and digital gauges?

I read conflicting information in the reviews of the Amazon OBDII splitter that two devices cannot "share" OBDports. Any thoughts? Duane? from your past life and knowledgeable research?

I like the idea of a ribbon cord splitter (vs heavy duty corded ones) for ease of hiding the bulky splitter in my footwell.

Looking forward to your comments.
Brian

Brian - I did have the 9700 Type B. The Type D comes with the OBDII. The reason I didn't get the type D is that at the time, the compatibility was super low. A lot of Korean cars and a few others. For the cost difference, I figured I'd skip the OBDII if there was no assurance as to what I'd get with it (minimum or maximum data).

Like Duane - I also have a separate code reader. I have an old-school corded unit and I also have Bluetooth unit. I plug the BT unit in only as needed to read/reset codes. I don't use my corded unit at all. It needs a new home :)

jbeletti

Thanks Duane, I have a wired OBD2 H&S tuner/digital gauge as I have removed DPF and disabled EGR on my 6.4. It really livens up the engine and eliminates that darn regen process.

I have ordered the Lukas 7950HD (2Ch) here in Canada ($390 CDN) and inquired about the ODB connector (it is optional, does not come with the 7950). I also ordered a small form factor Blackvue DR650GW 2Ch for my car, so I will compare the two.

I have ordered the ODB ribbon splitter and will test the two devices (H&S tuner/gauges and Lukas 7950 OBD connector) if and when I hear back from the Lukas rep here in western Canada.

I'll post back when I get the comparison done.

Brian

Brian, when you say "7950HD", do you really mean "7950WD", the new Duo with WiFi? If yes, can you please reply with a link to where you found it. I may order one for the truck and put my 9700 Duo in the car. Be interested in your evaluation of the two units (Lukas and Blackvue).

I LOVE the UI of the Lukas. That said, I'm intrigued by the app for the 7950 WD. If the app can change settings, see a live view and review recorded clips, I'd LOVE to have a Full-HD dual cam setup with NO LCD and use the app. Better stealth that way as the Lukas 9700 and 7950 front units are honkin' huge :)

porthole

Retired
Another day - another near miss.
In New Jersey, as well as in many other states, it is a law to remove snow and ice accumulations from your vehicle. Would not want someone to get a broken windshield for being lazy, right?

I didn't get a broken windshield fortunately, but I did get bombarded. And as you will see in this video, the cameras perception is not the same as the human eye. Same with the video I posted above.

The chunk of ice hit my windshield square right in front of me, just above the steering wheel. Yet it looks like it barely hits the windshield.

http://youtu.be/jf39Jw8iA18

brianharrison

I heard back from an authorized Lukas dealer here in Western Canada (www.canadadashcam.com) and have been informed the OBDII connector with the 7950WD does not show Ford as a compatible OBDII pairing. He will be checking with the factory rep in the next week and will be letting me know. Not sure, but I would have thought OBDII protocol would be standard around the world - maybe not in Korea?

Jim, yes I meant the Lukas 7950WD --> Here is the link. This guy is in my home town, so if he does not ship to US let me know and I can go pick it up and send it to you..... Current exchange is favorable for you in US$. You can change currency at the top of the page.

Here is a youtube video with sample from the Lukas 7950WD The great hometown scenery of Calgary Alberta in February. Enjoy!

Brian