Day/Night Shade No Spring and Screwed Flat against the wall

DRGalligher

The string broke in our large rear window day/night shade. After removing the valance and lambrequin, we found that the shade was screwed into the wall and is flat. It was not on a 1 3/8" box frame style, nor mounted on clips. How do you restring a pleated shade like this? All the instructions our there mention a spring.

This is out of a 2011 3055RL Bighorn.

Thanks.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
The spring is inside the plastic “bar,” if I remember correctly. Had to restring one of ours before converting to Levelor vertical blinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DRGalligher

The spring is inside the plastic “bar,” if I remember correctly. Had to restring one of ours before converting to Levelor vertical blinds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The plastic bar is flat and not a typical casing. In fact, the flat upper bar was screwed directly into the wall.

carl.swoyer

The string broke in our large rear window day/night shade. After removing the valance and lambrequin, we found that the shade was screwed into the wall and is flat. It was not on a 1 3/8" box frame style, nor mounted on clips. How do you restring a pleated shade like this? All the instructions our there mention a spring.

This is out of a 2011 3055RL Bighorn.

Thanks.

Sent from my SM-A526U using Tapatalk

DRGalligher

Carl.swoyer - our top rail looks like the one in the video you provided. I've watched this video before, but until we removed the shade I didn't realize they were the same. Thanks!

DRGalligher

Just wanted to report back that it's fixed. I had printed out a step by step guide I found here on the forum and it really helped. Hubby had it restringed by the time I got home from work, but when we put it up, it was too tight to lift and lower each section, which was strange because he cut the new strings the same length as the old, so we recut strings 3x the original length and that worked! We do have string leftover after cutting the excess to restring some of our single short day/night shades.

*Note - there was a spring in the top rail which we found after removing the rail from the blinds section.

mlpeloquin

I had to restring a few in my Big Horn. I found that there were a lot of burrs that did not allow the string to clear some of them. The plastic eyelet did not properly sit and that is what caused the original string to fray and break. I cleaned the burrs off and secured the eyelets so that they would not pop out. One of my shades did have three eyelets pop out and that is what frayed the string.

DRGalligher

Our eyelets were good, but think that it was strung tight. With the extra string we used, it still holds tension on the night shade and day shade portions.

DRGalligher

We will have to eventually restring one of the small slide end windows. It broke years back and our local RV tech restrung it for free because he didn't have the right cord and instead used cotton cord. I can put it up and down, but it comes down and up unevenly. Hubby said because the tension is wrong. Now that he has experience with the huge rear window blind, the little ones will be a piece of cake!