De-Winterizing

dlafko

Do you have any videos on De-winterizing a Heartland Elkridge 5th wheel trailer. I have looked and I can see generic ones but did not know if there is one specific to the Elkridge.

Thank you
David

danemayer

No videos - but we do have a Winterization Guide which speaks to de-winterizing.

The main pictoral thing you need is the picture showing what to look for on the Water Heater Bypass. You'll find pictures on pages 4 and 5 of the guide.

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
Do you have any videos on De-winterizing a Heartland Elkridge 5th wheel trailer. I have looked and I can see generic ones but did not know if there is one specific to the Elkridge.

Thank you
David

That, not sure if much is changed from your 2018 Elkridge to our 2015. But hopefully will be dewinterizing in the next week or so. I can snap some pictures or video. Let me know what your having questions with. I’ll see if I can answer it.

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
Hook up the hose and turn on the water! Flush all the lines until you see or smell no pink stuff. Bypass the HW heater until done

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dlafko

That would be great. Its always the valve positions, wetried to de-winterize once and could not get the funky taste out of thewater for at least 3 trips. Do you hook up to city water?Some people have said you should fill the water tank and do it that way ratherthan just hooking up to city water.

That, not sure if much is changed from your 2018 Elkridge to our 2015. But hopefully will be dewinterizing in the next week or so. I can snap some pictures or video. Let me know what your having questions with. I’ll see if I can answer it.

JWalker

That would be great. Its always the valve positions, wetried to de-winterize once and could not get the funky taste out of thewater for at least 3 trips. Do you hook up to city water?Some people have said you should fill the water tank and do it that way ratherthan just hooking up to city water.

Is your hot water tank located behind the wall in the basement on the off door side? Four screws and a partition pops out and I can reach in and hit all my bypass handles.

We just generally run a large amount of water through the system before we use it. But we do not drink water directly from the coach. We do bottled water for the dog and a Britta filter for the humans. Last year, I mixed 5 gallons of water diluted with bleach. I pulled it into the system through the water pump and left it sit in the lines for an hour or so. I couldn’t really tell much of a difference in comparison to just running freshwater through a few times.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Since I dewinterize at the storage yard, I first use air pressure to blow the AF out of the lines via the faucets and the low point drains (my rig has them). Then I pump chlorinated water through the lines and let it sit for a while, then evacuate it. Next day, I come back with fresh water and pump it in. When we get to our summer site, I flush everything, including the washer with city water. Never had a taste of AF and we use the water. I do have a dual filter that it passes through at our site. We don’t use the water tank, per se, but I do sanitize it and keep about 30 gallons it just so we can use our toilet if the CG power goes out during a storm or whatever. We’re a long way from the bath house.

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
That would be great. Its always the valve positions, wetried to de-winterize once and could not get the funky taste out of thewater for at least 3 trips
If you have a washer hookup be sure to flush those lines along with the outdoor shower lines.
If you don't flush those lines your system will continue to siphon a small amount of antifreeze from those lines.

Peace
Dave

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
If you have a washer hookup be sure to flush those lines along with the outdoor shower lines.
If you don't flush those lines your system will continue to siphon a small amount of antifreeze from those lines.

Peace
Dave

Yep, what Dave said! If your washing machine lines were filled with rv antifreeze and you don't flush that out, the antifreeze backflows into the nearest fixture output... making water taste and smell funny. We had this happen until we realized we needed to flush the lines to the washer, even though we never used those lines (no washing machine.)

Big-B

I've had the same problem with a taste of anti freeze in the fresh water Dave and Travel Tiger explained it perfectly.

travelin2

All lines need to be flushed thoroughly otherwise that pink stuff residue will all be there to “contaminate” the fresh water.
Made same mistake early in our camper ownership of not flushing the washer lines and dealing with pink stuff odors.

travelin2

Lake n wood in lancaster. Nice indoor pool. Heading there next weekend will be the first trip in the new beast

Just down the road from you then. If you have questions once set up just get on the forum here.

JWalker

Thank you
David

David,
You get everything Dewinterized ok. Just got ours done today. Finally!!!

dlafko

David,
You get everything Dewinterized ok. Just got ours done today. Finally!!![
Thanks for checking in. Actually everything did go ok, wehad Luke warm water for a while and finally figured out it was one of the valuesturned the wrong way.
We found other issues, lol. When we used the cable on the tv the Tv in the main room was clear but inthe bunk room it was fuzzy. Then we tried to use the radio and it did not work until we pushed the green button onbehind the Tv but then the TV went out so, someone suggested it might be wiredwrong so if you are willing we will have lots to look at when you get up to therally. J