Dicor Lap Sealant

mwc

I just replaced my ladder section on my roof of my Cyclone. I cleaned the roof around it and such with mineral spirits then applied the dicor lap sealant. I checked it the next day and it seems the dicor didnt set up, feels kind of mushy. Ive used it before and it usually sets up better than that. It almost seems like the roof material is bubbled up some where I applied it. Any ideas? Did I use too much mineral spirits maybe?

danemayer

I think Dicor warns that petroleum distillates will damage the roof material. I'd think it might explain the mushy sealant too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

cookie

Administrator
Staff member
Two years ago I used some Dicor caulk. It took weeks before it started to set up.. No mineral spirits involved.
Dicor said give it time. Not what I wanted to hear.

Peace
Dave

MTPockets

May be the mineral spirits as it’s petroleum based. In any event, never use petroleum based products to clean any surface your going to bond, seal, or glue; whether it’s Dicor or any other sealant.

mwc

Ooops! Yeah youre not supposed to get the mineral spirits on the roof membrane.

I touched up some dicor last year and used mineral spirits to clean the old before adding more lap sealant and it was fine. It says to do that but wait at least 15 minutes before applying the dicor. I don't think I waited that long so it's probably not going to set up like it's supposed to do. Then I just assumed it would be ok for the roof as well, Not!

porthole

Retired
No mineral spirits on the membrane. But if you do I would wash with soap and water (dawn) and then use the Dicor. Mineral spirits used elsewhere such as caulking cleanout works well -if- you give it a good day in between cleaning and caulking for it to off gas, especially if using Lexel sealant.

I just replaced my ladder section on my roof of my Cyclone. I cleaned the roof around it and such with mineral spirits then applied the dicor lap sealant. I checked it the next day and it seems the dicor didnt set up, feels kind of mushy. Ive used it before and it usually sets up better than that. It almost seems like the roof material is bubbled up some where I applied it. Any ideas? Did I use too much mineral spirits maybe?
I need to replace my ladder section on the roof. Is your model a 4007? Where did you get the replacement part?

wdk450

I prefer Eternabond Tape over caulk/lap sealants. Doesn't require ongoing inspections/maintenance.