Diesel Cool Down

travelin2

Pennsylvania Chapter Leaders-retired
I love the sound of a diesel. That's why the louder Cummins doesn't bother me. It's like a stress relieving white noise. Those new Fords and GMs are to quiet. You might as well be driven around in a hybrid. Just kiddin.

Back at you...exactly why I did buy a Ford. I spent so many years on farm equipment and driving large straight trucks I need quiet! Same reason applies to why I'll never have another standard transmission. Done with double clutching !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

123camper

I guess I should crack open the manual and read it. You say a cool downperiod is required, up to five minutes. Did it give you any indication of what temperature should come down to before shutting it off?

I don't believe so. I have not found a gauge that monitors the temp of the turbo. I did find a gauge that monitors the pressure of the turbo.

Bones

Back at you...exactly why I did buy a Ford. I spent so many years on farm equipment and driving large straight trucks I need quiet! Same reason applies to why I'll never have another standard transmission. Done with double clutching !

You double clutched. You shouldn't have to use a clutch at all

Gtoli

I have an Edge Insight that is hooked to a pre-turbo pyrometer. I can set it to shut down at any exhaust temp I want. All I have to do is turn off the key and walk away. If I want it to shut down early, all I have to do is tap on the touch screen.

avvidclif

I've been thinking about an Insight but didn't know it would do that. What other tricks have you found?

Lynn1130

I too, have an Edge and love it for what it tells me about my engine while driving. It monitors way too many things to list here but you can check the health of most everything including injectors. I have not used the auto shut-down because I have found that EGT's drop into the 300-400s within a minute or so of coming off the throttle (so it really is not excessive idling).

Gtoli

I've been thinking about an Insight but didn't know it would do that. What other tricks have you found?

You have to buy a turbo timer and pyrometer. Other than drilling and tapping the exhaust manifold it is plug and play.

I have the touch screen model and it is great for monitoring more things than you need. I monitor EGT, boost, fuel level, corrected speed, trans gear/torque converter lock, trans temp and coolant temp. It will also read and clear codes. Also you can set alarms for many parameters and maintenance intervals.

I know idling can be a waste of fuel, but I can afford a few dollars of fuel over a $$$ turbo, especially since I'm out of warranty.

caissiel

I have been driving turbo diesels for 24 years. The VW was a dailly driver that lasted over 400k. The trucks have lasted over 200k. Never once did I had turbo bearing problems.

All my diesels have been standards and when I stop the gear is in reverse and the key is turned off. All my cloodown is done at high RPM, which cools the engine 3 times faster. If I have to stop on top of a hill I will use the momentum and usually never cause any high heat to the turbo.
Had an exhaust temperature gauge for years and never saw any alarming temperature with the coolant temperature at 190F. The oil is at max. 8 deg F higher at less then 200F.
Never did idle my diesel at anytime in 24 years, with no injector or turbo problems.

Sent from my B1-710 using Tapatalk

IronJ

Or just take the easy route and delete the egr/dpf....it's the emissions stuff that idling messes with......

sent from space via an invisible beam from a flying metal dish

porthole

Retired
Ford has similar recommendations in the Diesel Supplement manual.

Attachments

• Diesel_idle_shutdown.jpg
    Diesel_idle_shutdown.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 40
  • Diesel_idle_shutdown_2.jpg
    Diesel_idle_shutdown_2.jpg
    14.5 KB · Views: 28

JWalker

Northeast Region Director-Retired
So letting the truck cool down for a few minutes at high idle is recommended. I guess this is one use for the high idle option on the truck.