Differences - Big Country & Bighorn

parfamal

First post so please bear with me ...... While my wife and I are still "kicking tires" we are being drawn very hard to Heartland because of this forum and the other offerings, open info and factory internet support for owners we've found after researching Heartland products. We are in the market for a higher end 5th wheel and find both the High Country and Bighorn (as well as the Landmark if the boat comes in) very appealing due to the products themselves topped off by the involvement of this forum and the HOC group as well. Something is going to have to happen really off the wall for us to go somewhere else.

With that said I have a question; is there much difference in the Big Country and the Bighorn models as to quality/construction, etc.? The reason I ask is there is a Big Country (and Landmark) dealer I have knowledge of (and faith in for after the sale service) within an hours drive of my home while the nearest Bighorn dealer, which I have no knowledge of, is about 3 hours away. Bighorns are the second listing (with Big Country third), after Landmark, on the Heartland Luxury product page and I was wondering if that indicated a quality/construction level, etc.? Thanks in advance for your help. I'm retired and she's about to be so this 5th wheel will more than likely be out last RV and I want to get it right.

John

danemayer

Hi parfarmal,

Welcome to the Heartland Owners Forum.

Big Country, Bighorn, and Landmark are all built on the same production line, by the same workers. So the construction methods are the same. And in general, the materials are the same.

There may be differences in some of the appliances and as you go up to Bighorn and Landmark 365, the standard features get better. For example, on the Landmark 365, you get individual slide switches. In general, as you go down in price, you may find that one switch operates all the hydraulically operated slides. Some heavier models may have 12" frames while lighter ones have 10". Landmark 365 comes with Load Range H tires. Bighorn and Big Country are a bit lighter and come with Load Range G tires. Landmark 365 comes with full body paint. Landmark 365 has a straight-line roof like you see on motor homes. Bighorn and Big Country have a more traditional sloping roof.

Best thing to do is to start with a floor plan and feature set that suits you, and go from there.

TravelTiger

Founding Texas-West Chapter Leaders-Retired
Dan said it, best to go with the floor plan and features/amenities you want and fit your budget.

The floor plan we liked first came out in Landmark, then they made changes to it and made a Big Country. We really liked the changes, it made it perfect for us. And the amenities and price point were right on. Not long after, they made a similar plan in BigHorn, with again more changes. I got to compare the two BH 3950RD and BC 4010RD side by side at a rally. The BigHorn definitely had more bells and whistles. The cabinetry was more intricate. Conveniences like extra wall plugs and bigger windows in the BigHorn. More wood trim. More cabinetry. A little bigger space in living and bedroom area.

Overall though, I like our Big Country. It fits us best.

So like I said, try them both out, spend a while sitting in it, pretend you're cooking, getting ready, enjoying the living space, eating a meal. Which feels more like home?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NYSUPstater

We are also brand new to HL and we looked at BC's and LM's at a dealer and tho we liked some of the things in the LM, BC had options/things/floorplan that the BH/LM either doesn't or don't have. Namely a 2nd fireplace in bedroom. Do think now the other 2 lines have them. But at the time, BC was it and wife loved it. So far we are very happy w/ our BC and the fact that the factory was able to add certain options for us. Don't see a lot of BC's, BH's or LM's yet, but hoping that will change. To look at the food chain of the 3 another way, consider the BC like a Chevy, BH like a Buick and LM like a Cadillac.

One thing too I've noticed when folks are looking to upgrade to a higher end unit, it seems that the top 4 coaches are: Landmark, Big Horn, Big Country and Cedar Creek. Don't think that's bad company. We were considering a CC, but certain things kept us away (just either floorplan or design of things we din't like). Had a '06 CC Silverback 35' and weighed 10,800 empty. New coach is 41' and 14,000 empty BUT tows sooooooo much nicer! Oh, the extra space in BR w/ the slide-n-slide, well that's big enough that we had a twin size air mattress for son to sleep on when we had guests over (2 on sofa/bed, another on a twin air mattress by kit table).

Like the others said tho, pick a floorplan or 2 that you like and see in person if possible and go from there. Compare each, write down likes/dislikes of both (best to have wife and you do separately then compare notes). Ask questions on here (Lord knows I did before placing order). EVERYONE has been fantastic w/ replies. Keep us posted.

farside291

I believe that now there are quite a few differences between the Big Horn and Big Country. But, would anyone else agree that from about 2012 through 2015 Big Country and Big Horn were very similar in amenities and features. In 2014 we opted for the Big Country, one because there were very few differences in the 2014 BH and BC. Second, because we didn't want to drive to another dealer far from home to get a Big Horn. All in all we would have liked to have purchased a Landmark 365 New Port in the same floor plan as our current Big Country, but the price point and bang for the buck was spot on with the Big Country. Very happy with the Big Country and will likely be our last Fifth wheel...for awhile:)

Nabo

Southeast Region Director-Retired
Over the last 11 years, we have had 2 Big Countrys and now a Landmark. The 2008 BC we had over 5 years and loved the open floor plan but was not certified as a full-time unit. The 2012 BC was a much bigger unit (40' length) because we were going to live in it as hubby's job was taking him out of the state for over 2-3 years. The Landmarks, Bighorns and Landmarks are made on the same assembly line. As Dan said, the quality is not as heavy duty on the Big Country as on the newer Landmark 365 and the weight on the units coming off the assembly line will reflect this. Our LM which weighs a little over 12,500 lbs, was made right before the conversion to the newer 365s which could weigh between 2,000 - 3,000 lbs more depending on the model. A thing to think about is how are you going to pull it - a 3/4 ton or 1 ton truck, single wheel or dually 1 ton truck. Good luck.

JohnDar

Prolifically Gabby Member
Is your intent to full time, some time, park in one place, or what? Determine that and find a floorplan that suits your needs. Then determine if you have enough truck for it or will it require replacing it.

There is a lot of variance in the different models when it comes to kitchen counter space and storage. Where can you store the things you like to have with you? Our BH3670 has about the most counter space and cabinetry of any, but they discontinued the floor plan several years ago.

Do you like to use a computer and printer while "camping?" Look at what accommodations there are for that. A pull out "tray" under the TV or do you set up on the dining table? Or is there an actual desk? Bedroom closet space and dresser drawers are another consideration. That seems to vary between models, as well.

CoveredWagon

Like the others said tho, pick a floorplan or 2 that you like and see in person if possible and go from there. Compare each, write down likes/dislikes of both (best to have wife and you do separately then compare notes). Ask questions on here (Lord knows I did before placing order). EVERYONE has been fantastic w/ replies. Keep us posted.

i can't stress that point enough.
We were so set on purchasing SOB I won't mention Montana ��. We planned on ordering a 2017, but the dealer near by only had a 2016. They told us the new ones would be the same. Hey what did we know. Somewhere along the line I got a sniff that running changes are made all the time not only at year end changes but anytime. DW said she'd really like to see a 2017 before we sunk a boat load of money into an Rv. Well I started the search 50 mile radius, 100 mile radius, 150 mile etc., you get the idea. Finally found one 4 hours away. We happily drove there to see it. We walked into the unit and immediately spotted 5 changes not to our liking. We sat down looked at each other and I said to the dealer, "I'm sorry and sadly disappointed. I guess we won't be purchasing an Rv". She asked if we'd seen the Bighorns, same floor plans and all. Told her nope but I guess after a 4 hour drive we could spend a few more minutes. Holy Cow �� we're we ever pleased, then it became a matter of which one to pick. We did continue to look at what we're planning to buy, Rv show after show compared different models, checked the date of manufacturer to be sure it was the latest and greatest. As a matter of fact we looked the morning we ordered at a week old coach. Order was place got everything but the kitchen vent fan. �� They took that out about two weeks before ours was built.